Single vs Twin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JimK

Single vs Twin

Post by JimK »

I am trying to settle a friendly bet. I suspect this topic has been discussed in the past but could not find anything conclusive. Forgive me in advance for such an elementary question. In a given boat that is available in a single or twin engine configuration (say an F28 0r F30), is the fuel consumption the same at cruising speed on both configurations or does the twin consume more?
7421f

Re: Single vs Twin

Post by 7421f »

In my 11 meter express and I suspect all twin engine boats, if I shut one engine down, I burn about 1/2 of what both engines combined burn, according to my FloScans. There is a slight increase in fuel consumption on the operating engine as it has to work a bit harder. I do loose speed at the same RPM setting. So, to answer your question, twins are going to use substantially more fuel, not to mention at least twice the maintenance costs over a single engine.
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
kenflyer

Post by kenflyer »

I agree with Tim based upon my personal experience with twin engines. However, I have been told by more than one mechanic that i should not run one engine. I haven't experienced any problems doing so. I do like the handling of twins in close quarters given their ability to turn and turn on a dime with one engine control in forward and one engine control in reverse
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

The same boat with the option of single and twin will usually involve smaller twin engines (ie small block) vs a bigger single engine (ie big block). In that situation the fuel consumption difference wouldn't be dramatically different. As Tim said, repair costs would be double.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The single engine boat will be some what better on fuel ,more so at under hull speed .Mainly do to less drag / fiction . I would prefer a single engine myself .Maybe the next time
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Twins will consume more, but not 'substantially' as has been posted. Increased horsepower with twins will take more fuel, but if a single doesn't have enough power to push the boat you are either running at very low speeds or stressing the engine big time. You will pay for the fuel it takes to feed the horses you are running.

With my F32 (16000 lbs loaded) with twin Chrysler 360s, I average 1.1 mpg. My father's old wooden 28 footer (6600 lbs) with a single Chrysler 383 mileage averaged almost 2 mpg. Less than half the weight, more than half the fuel burn.