Freshwater pump issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Oxblood

Freshwater pump issue

Post by Oxblood »

All of a sudden my freshwater pump has developed an issue. Pressure at the galley is very low, and surges, and the pump makes a horrible racket. It is a loud noise, hard to describe but like a stuttering sound. Is the pump dying? If so, what should I replace it with? I have a Tricabin, and from the sound of it the pump is located below the port side aft cabin floor. Is this a difficult job to perform (I am a newbie in this regard)?
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: Freshwater pump issue

Post by aaronbocknek »

Oxblood wrote:All of a sudden my freshwater pump has developed an issue. Pressure at the galley is very low, and surges, and the pump makes a horrible racket. It is a loud noise, hard to describe but like a stuttering sound. Is the pump dying? If so, what should I replace it with? I have a Tricabin, and from the sound of it the pump is located below the port side aft cabin floor. Is this a difficult job to perform (I am a newbie in this regard)?
first off, i'm wondering if there was an air bubble trapped in the line. in my f-32 with a brand new pump, not the original par belt driven pump mind you, i would get a horrible racket every once in a while and just let it run until the air was purged from the system. what type of pump do you have and what year is your tri cabin again? on my tri, a 1982 model, the pump is located behind the bulkhead, mounted between stringers, port side aft, behind the headboard. it's a tight fit to be sure but it can be accessed one of two ways. if you have the walk around double berth, move the mattress away from the 'headboard' and pull up the access panel on the bunk platform. if you look down and to the port side, you will see the pump. i changed out my pump when i bought the boat with a reconditioned par belt pump that my dad had as a spare for our tri cabin. i actually traced the date of manufacture and it's dated august 1972. it was actually used on BUBALA 3 for a bit, then swapped out. it runs like a champ and i swear by these pumps.
i would try running your pump for a bit to see if there is any air trapped in it. it could also mean that there may be a loose hose allowing air to get into the system. one thing i did to my tri was put a Y connector with cut off valves on the shore hookup to mitigate any air getting into the lines. i also lined the pex pipe from the shore line to the pump with foam pipe wrap. this acts as a buffer if the shore line vibrates when the pump is run, and, it insulates the pipe since it's exposed near the transom of the boat in the winter. hope this helps.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Whatever you do, I would recommend installing an accumulator as well. Todd Pote showed it to me on his boat and it's a nice upgrade. Basically it prevents the pump from coming on every time you need water. For low demands like washing your hands or flushing the head, the pump might not cycle at all.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

aaronbocknek wrote:
Oxblood wrote:All of a sudden my freshwater pump has developed an issue. Pressure at the galley is very low, and surges, and the pump makes a horrible racket. It is a loud noise, hard to describe but like a stuttering sound. Is the pump dying? If so, what should I replace it with? I have a Tricabin, and from the sound of it the pump is located below the port side aft cabin floor. Is this a difficult job to perform (I am a newbie in this regard)?
first off, i'm wondering if there was an air bubble trapped in the line. in my f-32 with a brand new pump, not the original par belt driven pump mind you, i would get a horrible racket every once in a while and just let it run until the air was purged from the system. what type of pump do you have and what year is your tri cabin again? on my tri, a 1982 model, the pump is located behind the bulkhead, mounted between stringers, port side aft, behind the headboard. it's a tight fit to be sure but it can be accessed one of two ways. if you have the walk around double berth, move the mattress away from the 'headboard' and pull up the access panel on the bunk platform. if you look down and to the port side, you will see the pump. i changed out my pump when i bought the boat with a reconditioned par belt pump that my dad had as a spare for our tri cabin. i actually traced the date of manufacture and it's dated august 1972. it was actually used on BUBALA 3 for a bit, then swapped out. it runs like a champ and i swear by these pumps.
i would try running your pump for a bit to see if there is any air trapped in it. it could also mean that there may be a loose hose allowing air to get into the system. one thing i did to my tri was put a Y connector with cut off valves on the shore hookup to mitigate any air getting into the lines. i also lined the pex pipe from the shore line to the pump with foam pipe wrap. this acts as a buffer if the shore line vibrates when the pump is run, and, it insulates the pipe since it's exposed near the transom of the boat in the winter. hope this helps.
aaron
Aaron,

The boat is an 81.

The issue only seems to occur when I use either the vanity tap in the aft head (have not checked the forward tap, as I rarely use that head, or the galley tap. The sound does not occur when flushing the aft head toilet.

I will check the pump soon to ensure the hose connections are good, and try running the pump for a few mintes from the head and galley taps to see if it bleeds any air out.

If I wanted to hook up the "city" water connection at the top pf the transom, is there a y valve or such that I would need to throw, or does that feed through the water tank?

Cheers,

Kai
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

BobCT wrote:Whatever you do, I would recommend installing an accumulator as well. Todd Pote showed it to me on his boat and it's a nice upgrade. Basically it prevents the pump from coming on every time you need water. For low demands like washing your hands or flushing the head, the pump might not cycle at all.

Bob
Bob, please enlighten me as to the accumulator. What does it do? Does it hold presurized water to feed the system, and where would it be installed?
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

So, any response on the idea of hooking up to the "City Water" connection on the transom? Is there something I need to do after connecting the hose, or does it all pass through the main water tank?
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Oxblood wrote:So, any response on the idea of hooking up to the "City Water" connection on the transom? Is there something I need to do after connecting the hose, or does it all pass through the main water tank?
sorry for the slow response mate. had to run out and pick up something for maccabee (second mate and all around happy boston terrier!!) no, hooking up the shore water is as simple as, well, attaching the hose to the inlet. i always turn off my fresh water pump on the panel though. not sure if it's even necessary, i just do. again, something i learned from dad. since your tri is a year behind mine, the pump 'should' be in the exact same location. mine cycles when using only one faucet, save for the tub/shower. the more water running through it to come to the gpm rating, the better. if i run the galley and the fwd faucet, there is no cycling. yes i could install an accumulator, but, at this point, i do not see the need to as a majority of the time i use city water. i do fill the tank to clear it out and whenver i leave the dock. and yes, i actually do leave the dock. :D it's a safety issue with me to have at least 30 gallons of water onboard. here is how mine is set up. city water inlet to pex pipe to a T connector. (top portion). hose from water tank to bottom of T, then onto the rest of the boat, i.e. faucets and water heater. i can try to take a few pics tomorrow if i remember to show you my set up. then again, i've learned from here no two are exactly alike!
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Thanks Aaron!

So just hook up city water and turn off pump. No y or other valve to turn. Cool.

Thanks again for all the help.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Oxblood wrote:Thanks Aaron!

So just hook up city water and turn off pump. No y or other valve to turn. Cool.

there should be not other valve to turn unless the PO did something screwy. just connect at the dock and the boat, turn on the water, and the city water should flow through every tap. i will take a few pics of my set up as i have a pressure regulator on the outside where the hose connects to the boat along with a yalve cutoff y connector. the cutoffs prevent any unwarrented turnons by passersby. just another level of safety for my peace of mind.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Here's a link to the one I installed.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/accumula ... 4AodAhkAvQ
1988 10m mid cabin
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

aaronbocknek wrote:
Oxblood wrote:Thanks Aaron!

there should be not other valve to turn unless the PO did something screwy. just connect at the dock and the boat, turn on the water, and the city water should flow through every tap. i will take a few pics of my set up as i have a pressure regulator on the outside where the hose connects to the boat along with a yalve cutoff y connector. the cutoffs prevent any unwarrented turnons by passersby. just another level of safety for my peace of mind.
Thanks Aaron. I really appreciate the advice I get here.
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

BobCT wrote:Here's a link to the one I installed.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/accumula ... 4AodAhkAvQ
Thanks Bob. Definitely somethign to consider.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

oxblood, here is my set up and pex pipe routing from the access hatch in the aft stateroom, port side, aft. i believe that this particular vessel did not come with the shore water hook up option and it was added by the previous owner. though not a standard trojan install, it works. and works well. i have also added another pressure regulator to work in conjunction with the boat side unit. i have taken the added redundancy of adding a 'Y' valve. the valve that feeds the shore system is always turned off upon leaving the boat.

let me know, as always, if i can answer any questions you may have.

aaron
Attachments
water hookup boatside
water hookup boatside
water hookup 3.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 10392 times
shore source with inline filtration system purchased from an rv supply store.
shore source with inline filtration system purchased from an rv supply store.
water hookup 2.jpg (47.3 KiB) Viewed 10392 times
placards show what and where.  ball valve, my design, allows for tank to drain into sump for winterizing.
placards show what and where. ball valve, my design, allows for tank to drain into sump for winterizing.
water hookup inside best.jpg (90.41 KiB) Viewed 10392 times
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

Aaron,

Thanks for the photos.

My shore water hook up looks like it was factory installed. Alas, water pressure in the shore water supply is, well low. Hook up the hose, open it to full, and I get a very slow, albeit steady stream through the galley tap. Slightly faster and higher pressure at the aft head faucet. I guess I will deal with a noisy pump for now.

Cheers,

Kai
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Oxblood wrote:Aaron,

Thanks for the photos.

My shore water hook up looks like it was factory installed. Alas, water pressure in the shore water supply is, well low. Hook up the hose, open it to full, and I get a very slow, albeit steady stream through the galley tap. Slightly faster and higher pressure at the aft head faucet. I guess I will deal with a noisy pump for now.

Cheers,

Kai
hope they assist. the low pressure from the hookup could be one of two things or a combination of both. the checkvalve in the boat could be sluggish, the water pressure at the marina could be low. i've experienced very low pressure from the shore hookup when the marina is heavily populated and many folks are washing their boats etc. the pressure is much better during the weekday when not a lot of folks are down.
let me know if i can be of further assistance.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com