North Channel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

North Channel

Post by Bob Giaier »

Over the last 4 years I have asked the forum for help on all kinds of technical items and it has been the best source of information ever for my 73 36 ft Tri cabin. You guys have helped me solve issues from deck epoxy to holding tank removal/replacement - thank you. The last item I was working on was my Onan gen. At the time I really didn't see why I needed a gen until I got it running. Now that I have a running gen, I'm thinking of taking the old girl to the North Channel next summer, where i can moore in some out of the way deserted area. The North Channel is considered one of the most beautiful boating experiences in the world. Our boat is in Au gres, Mi., So it is well within reach of the infamous North Channel. I've been hunting the Internet for info on it, but I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has ever been there and if so, do you have suggestions as to where to go if you spent about 3 days there coming from Presque Isle.
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: North Channel

Post by ready123 »

Bob,

You can't go that far and only spend three days..... 2 weeks there minimum.
BUT in my opinion the east coast of Georgian Bay (the thirty thousand islands) is a way better destination..... that is my Summer hangout.
Take some time to look at these photos to see why I say that.... then I can give you some spots to go to in either location.... or come cruise with me next Summer
Can you spend more time on that trip?
The North Channel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@N ... 836809705/
Georgian Bay
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@N ... 171836650/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@N ... 181999127/
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

The North Channel was one of my favorite cruising destinations for several years when we lived in and departed from Port Austin, MI. I had three favorite areas to drop the hook and spend some good time. The closest to where you are departing from is The Benjamin Islands. It is easily accessible in one day from where you are and the beautiful red quartz rock that make up the islands is breath-taking.

My next favorite spot was Baie Finn and there are numerous beautiful spots but Mary Ann Cove was my favorite. A natural cove with amazing scenery and deep cool water. So quiet and remote that you can hear the engines on a passenger jet cruising at 35,000 feet.

My third favorite was at the northern end of the Landsdowne Channel and a favorite of many - Covered Portage Cove. Great place to drop the hook and spend a few days. Killarney, known for their great fried fish and a good time at the Sportsman Inn, is just a short boat ride away and much of the city is built on the waterway and provide dockage while you shop or visit the pub. Love that place.

From Au Gres you can reach The Benjamin's in about 8 hours cruising at 18-20 kts. Stop at Presque Isle for fuel & a break before crossing to the channel & its a great trip. From The Benjamin's to Baie Finn is only a short trip at slow cruise but you will want to stop in Little Current for sure for a few hours. Great place for little shops and great food. I recommend The Anchor Inn - within walking distance of the city dock. From Baie Finn to Covered Portage Cove & Killarney is only a short while at slow cruise.

If you have more time, then Georgian Bay is worth the trip for sure & make sure you stop @ Tobermory. What a great place that is. If you are limited in time, the trip from Killarney down to Tobermory will take you about 4 hours at cruise.

We made a week of it and went from Tobermory to Kincardine - little over 4 hours - and then just a short four hours back to Port Austin.

Will gladly email you pics of all of it if you want to PM me.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Oh boy, lots of info to look at. I thank you both. I figured I can get A Sunday to Sunday off, but unfortunately not much more.

Thanks for the invite ready123, but Georgian Bay is a little too far at least for this first big trip. I have lot's of info to go thru now and will let you know my travel plans as I figure them out.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

We just moved from Tucson to Au Gres, MI. We are buying a house on Midshipman Drive here on the river. Our F32 did not get finished this summer as I had planned due to moving here on the spur of the moment. I hope to do the North Channel sometime in the next couple of years, let me know how it turns out. Good luck.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Comodave, We are in slip 32 on mid shipment dr. In sager creek. stop by if you're around on the week ends. Where can an F32 float in Tuscan?
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

We bought the F32 in Au Gres about 2 years ago. I have been working on it since then. Maybe next year I will get it in the water. We will stop by this weekend if you will be around.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Bigearl

Post by Bigearl »

Bob, This is one of the great destinations for boaters. We did it in our F28 in 2006 coming from Georgian Bay. There are some superb places to drop anchor, hike and generally explore. Suggest you get yourself a copy of the Ports Cruising Guide for "Georgian Bay, The North Channel & Lake Huron" This is a must guide in my view at a modest cost. I think if you are pressed for time it pays to plan carefully to get the most out of it. Enjoy
Bigearl