possible engine replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanmanXSagain

possible engine replacement

Post by trojanmanXSagain »

Morning folks. a buddy sent me this posting for an engine kinda in our area for sale. Any thoughts /comments on this engine going into a 1979 f26?
any concerns with what your seeing ? thanks
http://watertown.craigslist.org/boa/4054300803.html
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: possible engine replacement

Post by aaronbocknek »

isn't an 'alpha one' a stern drive? can this be adapted to shaft drive? just curious.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Aaron is correct. This is a sterndrive engine. You need an inboard engine. The output is different so this engine won't work in your boat.

If you decide to replace your Chrysler with a GM engine, the GM engines tend to be too high and the engine hatch will need to be modified. Several people on the forum have made the conversion so it can be done. Just understand that it will involve more than just swapping engines.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

As that engine is set up now, yes it was used with an outdrive.
If you unbolted the rear bell housing with mounts and removed the engine coupler from the end of the crank shaft you can certainly use the engine with an inboard setup if you wish as all you need are the proper peripherals to go along with it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am not sure about the height issue as I seen some posts here and it seems real close .So I am not sure . I know your redoing a lot and if that includes redoing the decks then you could raise them a little '

As far as the nuts and bolts of it :

Yes it will work BUT !! there are a things that need to be changed . If you pulling out a Chevy your in good shape as you have a Donner engine . If you replacing a Chrysler then you got to find a lot of parts and the costs go up and may not be worth it .

Heres what needs to be changed . bell housing an the coupler on the flywheel . PS pump needs to be removed . you will need to add a raw water pump , this could involve new brackets or you could mount one on the crank pulley like crusader /MP/Volvo use on some engines . ( A set up I really like) 1 bracket need . Motor mounts are a maybe .
So I would guess a $1000. to change over depending on parts prices .

This engine is raw water cooled . was it slat or fresh water use ? If fresh water then its not a bad price at all .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

It will probably have to be converted to a RH rotation in the single engine 26' as well.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Paul wrote:It will probably have to be converted to a RH rotation in the single engine 26' as well.

Good point about rotation ( slipped my mine) . I would not change the engine rotation but You will need to get a new prop , and rotate the trans oil pump . I am pretty sure this can be done on a paragon ( not 100% sure ) and positive on a Velvet drive '
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote: Good point about rotation ( slipped my mine) . I would not change the engine rotation but You will need to get a new prop , and rotate the trans oil pump . I am pretty sure this can be done on a paragon ( not 100% sure ) and positive on a Velvet drive '
A Paragon's rotation can be changed by rotating the trans oil pump. I've been told it's easy to do, but I've never actually done it.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Paragon front plate has directions cast into it.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Having done exactly what you are planning I would measure the replacement engine at least 5 times. Including the motor mount and shaft coupling locations. I had to change the prop, trans pump, intake manifold, flame arrestor, and exhaust manifolds. After all that I still had to cut a notch out of the hatch. Overall a real pain in the ass.

Just looking at that engine I think it is to tall.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
trojanmanXSagain

Post by trojanmanXSagain »

so by the time I monkey around with switching everything that needs to be addressed with the craigs list engine , would I be further ahead to rebuild the chevy engine I currently have now? I was given a right hand rotation engine that was in a twin engine searay boat. The engine was running when pulled 7-8 yrs ago but has since seized as it was stored in a heated building all these years with no attention given to it .
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

trojanmanXSagain wrote:so by the time I monkey around with switching everything that needs to be addressed with the craigs list engine , would I be further ahead to rebuild the chevy engine I currently have now? I was given a right hand rotation engine that was in a twin engine searay boat. The engine was running when pulled 7-8 yrs ago but has since seized as it was stored in a heated building all these years with no attention given to it .
How are your accessories? If your accessories are still good it might be best to get a Chevy long block and put that in.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

trojanmanXSagain wrote:so by the time I monkey around with switching everything that needs to be addressed with the craigs list engine , would I be further ahead to rebuild the chevy engine I currently have now? I was given a right hand rotation engine that was in a twin engine searay boat. The engine was running when pulled 7-8 yrs ago but has since seized as it was stored in a heated building all these years with no attention given to it .
Or you can use parts off this to convert it to inboard .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
32pacemaker

Post by 32pacemaker »

the problem with replacing the prop with a left hand is that the engine in a single is off set to the port side an inch or two to make the boat go straight and to turn better, might be better off replacing the cam,lifters and cam drive and frt and rear crank seals and flipping the raw water pump impeller, that engine looks a little salty too what about the risers ?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Many have done the swap and never heard of a issue , I have never notice a offset as the shaft always came out centered to the keel . Anyone else run into this ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels