Cabin wall insulation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RobertS

Cabin wall insulation

Post by RobertS »

I'm rebuilding the cabin walls on the upper cabin, 42 Ft 1969, previously, there was some Styrofoam SM poorly installed between a sheet plastic, similar to Lexan outside skin and 5/16 mahogany ply inside. I would like to know if I should allow any airflow or airspace when I re-install the SM. I'll use a straw foam to set in the SM. I would also like to add some acoustic fiberglass panel in the extra space, is there a chance of moisture buildup?
Taking pictures as I go...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Cabin wall insulation

Post by prowlersfish »

Robert ,That Styrofoam sounds like something thats been added by a previous owner . And what do you mean by a "Lexan outside skin " outside the hull ?

Do you have some photos ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
7421f

Post by 7421f »

If you are looking for a better thin insulation let me suggest this product:

[urlhttp://www.teksupply.com/contractor/supplies/p ... 01382.html][/url]

I have used it for years in all kinds of applications from metal building construction, under concrete slab insulation, and on my own boat. It is fantastic stuff. User friendly and will not absorb water. The R value and UV blocking qualities are icing on the cake.
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

I've attached a picture of the rebuilt top of the transom and wall taken inside the cabin. The 'Lexan' is material used for the outer skin. Thanks.
Attachments
Aft wall, above transom
Aft wall, above transom
TrojanCabinWall.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

is that the aft deck? i believe the 'lexan' that you are talking about is the 'weather skirting' (it dresses the area around the railings) that is used to semi enclose the aft deck of flush deck motor yachts.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That photo clears up a lot That foam is not factory for sure, I don't think the plastic is ether . Not sure what Trojan used (canvas ? ) But I believe there was a gap at the bottom when it was built .

I would leave the foam out , unless you have a reason for it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

I'd like to get some insulation in there since we may live aboard next (Canadian) winter, plus the fiberglass will add some sound baffling. Thanks.
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

aaronbocknek wrote:is that the aft deck? i believe the 'lexan' that you are talking about is the 'weather skirting' (it dresses the area around the railings) that is used to semi enclose the aft deck of flush deck motor yachts.
I see, I still want to insulate it, if you have any tips. Cheers.
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

prowlersfish wrote:That photo clears up a lot That foam is not factory for sure, I don't think the plastic is ether . Not sure what Trojan used (canvas ? ) But I believe there was a gap at the bottom when it was built .

I would leave the foam out , unless you have a reason for it .
The boat is a Shepherd, the Canadian subsidiary of Trojan, from what I have seen.
It looks like this area was originally open air.
http://www.shepherdboats.com/Boat_Model ... Colour.pdf page 6
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

RobertS wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:is that the aft deck? i believe the 'lexan' that you are talking about is the 'weather skirting' (it dresses the area around the railings) that is used to semi enclose the aft deck of flush deck motor yachts.
I see, I still want to insulate it, if you have any tips. Cheers.
Arron is right, there used to be weather skirting or weather boards around your aft deck. Paul is right as well about the gap at the bottom. The gap is actually a important design feature. It would let water drain off the aft deck in a seaway and also allow the wood to breath and dry out. Without this gap you need to make it completely waterproof or the wood will start to rot on the inside from standing rain water. Just from what I see if you insulate the lower part I don't think you are going to see much in the way of heat retention if you still have the canvas enclosure above it.

Good luck, I love old wooden boats, I just can't afford one. :shock:
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

summer storm wrote:.....I don't think you are going to see much in the way of heat retention if you still have the canvas enclosure above it....
+1
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

Can Edit but cannot Delete
Last edited by RobertS on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

Repair Pictures Posted
http://www.trojanrestore.com
Work done from May to October, till it got too cold.
We are still working on the site, comments welcome.
We'll link back here as we move on with it all. (there's just 2 of us)
We will continue the boat work this spring and hope to get in the water for June.

Our first boat and I'm using a lot of my own processes and materials from my elevator retrofitting, house renovating and furniture making days.
I have a 48X96" ShopBot CNC router and cut out the transom 'cap' and corners up to the cabin entrance with CAD so far, this is a complex shape and can be used in different ways, or scaled to other boats,I can make this file available.

Pictures of: (Mostly ongoing) Transom repairs, deep water penetration and rot around the entire aft deck and tops of state room outer walls. Mahogany and the rotten oak was removed and capped with 3/4" Crezon and all was coated with marine epoxy. I used polyurethane foam to fill the voids.
Cabin framing repairs, fiberglass damage and rot removal, deck stripping and refinishing
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I am curious if you are removing the entire rotted planks and rebuilding stringers and ribs ? it looks from your photos that you have dug out the rot and filled the areas with epoxy.. if so, is that structurally safe? I don't know and I am asking, I know nothing about wood boats
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

gettaway wrote:I am curious if you are removing the entire rotted planks and rebuilding stringers and ribs ? it looks from your photos that you have dug out the rot and filled the areas with epoxy.. if so, is that structurally safe? I don't know and I am asking, I know nothing about wood boats
Sorry to say, this is not the appropriate way to repair a wooden boat. The only right way is to replace all rotted wood inside and out. This repair will not last long as the rotted wood will continue to rot away. The epoxy fill will only add to this rot as it will hold moisture in. I have restored 4 wood boats including the one I am working on. :(