F-44 for sale 22.5k

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

summer storm
Moderate User

F-44 for sale 22.5k

Post by summer storm »

I talked to the owner and he stated that the diesels have
Only a 1000 hours, gen needs replacement and the interior
Needs updating. It needs to be gone very fast and he hinted
That 15k might buy it. I might drive down and look at it.

Anyone know about 903's

http://keys.craigslist.org/boa/2731231897.html
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I know it says solid fiberglass construction but would a '74 have fiberglass or wooden decks?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Big D wrote:I know it says solid fiberglass construction but would a '74 have fiberglass or wooden decks?
if memory serves me, this is the trojan f-44. should the decks not have the 'teak option', then the decks will be fiberglass with the standard balsa core construction. IF they chose the teak deck option, then the teak will be over a marine ply sub-deck. if that is the case, then look for potential rot problems where the teak deck caulk is bad (water intrusion big time) and where the superstructure joins at the deck, again, water intrusion. also, look for water intrusion around the window frames in the cabin area. trojan was never really known for the window frames, then again, what boat builder was for that time period.

keep us posted should you go see her.

aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Powerboat Guide says the F44 was made from '74 to '84. "The original Trojan 44MY was introduced in 1974 as an all-fibreglass replacement for the highly successful Trojan 42 mahogany-planked motor yacht."

So I don't know if they would completely build the deck differently, or just lay the teak over the glass? On Yachtworld there are a couple of F44s from the 74-76 period and they have teak decks, but I can't tell how it was done by looking at the pics.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

captainmaniac wrote:Powerboat Guide says the F44 was made from '74 to '84. "The original Trojan 44MY was introduced in 1974 as an all-fibreglass replacement for the highly successful Trojan 42 mahogany-planked motor yacht."

So I don't know if they would completely build the deck differently, or just lay the teak over the glass? On Yachtworld there are a couple of F44s from the 74-76 period and they have teak decks, but I can't tell how it was done by looking at the pics.
i should have thought that through better. i'm just going by my experience growing up with the F-36 tri cabin. that too was 'billed' at all fiberglass construction, however, the outer aft bulk heads (this was the cockpit version with v-drives) were plywood covered in formica both inside and out (they rotted out twice and dad had trojan rebuild them twice). the aft deck was teak over marine ply. that too rotted out and was replaced in 2006. the bridge area was teak over marine ply as well. we had the teak toe rail option, and the teak was epoxied onto the fiberglass toe rail and the screw holes were bunged. so, in theory, trojan could have put the teak decks over the fiberglass decks. the only way to find out is check her out and look into a locker or drawer and look up to see if there is woven roving or marine ply.

aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

The owner stated it had teak teak decks that he had removed and new plywood glassed in. It could be a real good job or a horror show. The more I think about it the less I want to drive down. My 32 is in great shape and I can handle the costs without worrying àbout it. This 44 would be nice to have but at what cost? Another 50k over the next 5 years, could be double that, and that would be a problem.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
JB

Re: F-44 for sale 22.5k

Post by JB »

The original; F44 was built from 1973 to 1977. it had a curvy glass hull and shared the same fiberglass with balsa core superstructure as the previous 1972 Trojan 42 foot wooden FDMY it replaced. The F44 had the identical interior to the 42 and had and more slanted bow resulting in 2 ft more foredeck all in the bow anchor/fender locker. 100-% (all) of these F44s had teak over plywood decks
The 1978 to 1984 44 footer was a very different boat- different hull (more square like a 41 Constellation, similar but less angular superstructure and all had glass over balsa core fiberglass decks. A few were sold with a teak overlay.
JB
F44