no oil pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

8lug

no oil pressure

Post by 8lug »

the starboard motor was disassembled when i bought the boat.i paid the mechanics to put it back together everything went pretty smooth.once that was done it fired rite up with great oil pressure.before the first hard shake dwn run i changed the oil with napa 10w40 and napa filter in both motors.fired both motors up and ran it all was good.i went home and came back the next day to do another run,i let the motors warm up brought all gauges up to operating temps and had good pressurre . i had forgot something in the truck so i shut them down came rite back and sarted them back up with in seconds starboard showed low pressure around 20 psi or so and alarm went off.

first thought was oil pump went out.so i left and came back the nxt day with a pump that was on the boat when i bought it.so i bolted it up and started the motor it didnt pick up oil so i shut it dwn pretty quick done this a few times with no luck.didnt realize i have to prime the pump.so i bought some lucas oil treatment and filled pump thru the cooler lines per mechanic. still nothing.took pump back off everything looks fine gears are nice and tight no binding spring and slider look good it actually looks new in and out.nothing is rounded off

maybe a bad filter or
oil pump
oil to thin
im at a loss
i heard to pack the pump with Vaseline to prime it
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: no oil pressure

Post by mikeandanne »

What kind of engine we talking about---- Mike
8lug

Post by 8lug »

i swear i thought i put that in there
m440
btw i cant even find a marine oil pump for this 440
ive checked all places i know about
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Here is what I would do-------get yourself one of those pump priming rods,mark and remove distributor and you will see a gear--- inspect that--- if ok remove that gear by pulling it out with long needle nose after noting the position--- don't worry it will be obvious ,inspect the end of the gear to see if the hex is rounded off ,if ok then insert the long hex rod and turn the pump ccw with a drill and watch for oil pressure---- that tool will come in handy for prelubing anyway and is very cheap----- honestly you may just have a bad gauge but that is how I would check to make sure as those oil pumps are bulletproof---- need a hefty drill though---- just some thoughts as I don't know what you are comfortable doing--- Mike
8lug

Post by 8lug »

i guess thats what i need to do i can pull dist. and make a bit to prime the oil.i inspected the part on the pump where the hex slides into the pump and there was no signs of it being rounded off.i did have a bad fuel pump before i changed the oil but it was pumping back into the carb like its suppose to do.is it possible to have just lost prime when i shut the motor off
8lug

Post by 8lug »

also i checked pressure at the sending unit it was barely pouring out,it didnt look like 60 psi to me
and upper and lower gauge is reading the same pressure (little to none)with both alarms going off
any clue on where to find a new marine pump with oil cooler ports
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

One thing to remember with these engines is that the oil at the top of the motor relies on the cam to rotate as it travels thru those passages in the cam itself ---- I guess it is possible to lose prime but I have only seen that when the pump pickup was too close to the pan bottom,likely not the case here ----- it is fairly common for the hex end of those gears to wear especially the aftermarket stuff that does not fit into the oil pump far enuf--you can sure tell when the pump primes because the drill bogs down big time--- Good luck and let us know---- Mike
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Before you get into dismantling and into more complicated remedies, do the simple things first; have you tried replacing the oil filter? I've had new ones fail. By your description above, I take it you inspected the presure relief valve on the pump?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
8lug

Post by 8lug »

i did check the valve and spring all seemed ok slid in out very smooth
kinda of odd the day before we did a wot and everywhere in between and then idled back into the marina
and it started and ran great the nxt day,but once i shut it dwn and i restarted it about 30 minutes later thats when i lost it
i had pressure for maybe 15 seconds and it dropped to around 20 psi with alarm sounding off
and it is moving oil out of the sending unit port but not by much
the oil seems very clean of course it only has 40 minutes of run time, but it seems very thin
if you turn dipstick up side dwn when checking oil it runs fast
btw i keep reading about more and more people having a bad filter
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

If it was me, before I went disassembling things I would plumb in a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I would pull the coil wire off and crank the engine. You should be able to develop enough pressure doing that. If no pressure you can trouble shoot from.there.
Bob
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

You mentioned a problem with the fuel pump ... make sure your oil isn't full of fuel. If thinned by fuel, the oil pump can't make pressure.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I agree with rossjo . I also agree on using a mechanical gage But I would not not pull off the coil wire in case there is gas in the oil (and fumes around .

BTW did put oil or some grease in the new pump ? if not it may not prime .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

You said in your original post that you bolted on a pump you had onboard. When you pulled the engine out of the boat and the oil pan off the engine did you check that the pick up tube was tight and properly positioned? Also did you check it for missing O-rings, leaks or holes? A leak above the oil level won't allow the pump to build suction.

Here is a site that sells Chrysler oil pumps.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m ... 7AodAxYAaA
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
8lug

Post by 8lug »

they only put the top half of motor on heads,intake,rebuilt carb and tuned it in
never had to take the motor all the way out (not yet any way
i put all new exhaust on and a new fuel pump before oil change
i never did smell gas in the old oil and i cant smell it in the new oil either but just seems thinned out a little after 1 run
but looks very clean
i am a little worried about it being a bearing or pick up tube
i took offf the oil cooler lines and forced lucas in and then i spun off the oil filter and forced lucas thru that hole
i have a liquid filled gauge i could plumb into the sending unit to double check other 2 gauges
would you use grease or Vaseline to pack the pump
and is it just me or is there no oil pumps around for the m440
just got back from walmart with a fram ph8a and rotella 15w40
i will do another oil change in the morning to try and eliminate bad filter and thin oil
8lug

Post by 8lug »

also i ordered that same pump like the one at summit took it all the way to the boat pulled my pump and then realized it had no ports for the oil cooler
thought i had it until i seen that
and was casted just a little bit different