need a little info on boat seats

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

atoka01

need a little info on boat seats

Post by atoka01 »

We just got a 1980 F-26 and there are deck seats in it. We would like to go back with the original fold up kind (brackets are still there) but can't locate any. Do you know of anyone who does or do you have a picture so we can possibly make some. Possibly you have a better suggestion, we are open to that also. Thank you very much.
sodek@sbcglobal.net
pilgrim32

Re: need a little info on boat seats

Post by pilgrim32 »

Contact Bob or Don at Beacon Marine they probably have them or could get them for you.
pilgrim32
1978 F-26 HT
Plymouth.MA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36731885@N07/
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I just re made the folding seats in mine last year. All of the hardware is original and in good condition.
The next time that I get down to the marina, I'll take some pictures for you.

Do you have the original tube frame? If not, a boat top place should be able to help you out.
They could probably get you the hinges as well. The rest is just wood and upholstery.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Ok, this gave me a reason to head down to the marina today. If you can't find any, they probably wouldn't be that hard to make.

Hope this helps
Paul
rsciolino

Post by rsciolino »

Has anyone replaced these seats with a pedestal seat? If so what height pedestal post did you use?
rsciolino

Post by rsciolino »

Has anyone replaced these seats with a pedestal seat? If so what height pedestal post did you use?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Paul wrote:Ok, this gave me a reason to head down to the marina today. If you can't find any, they probably wouldn't be that hard to make.
Paul, Don't take this wrong, but I love you (in a manly, "hey dude, what's up bro", kind of way)!

I think it is AWESOME that you are so true to the brand to recreate what was originally there, versus buying the latest 'equivalent' made in some place cheaper than Taiwan they can find on ebay or craigslist for pennies on the dollar. I want to keep things on my Trojan as original as I possibly can as well (unless it compromises safety). I have loved your work since I originally saw the article in DIY Boater all those years ago (just wish I had the same skills to do it all without paying someone else!). You do what someone does when they truly respect what they have, what it is, and where it came from. Kudos.

Those seats, rails, and the concepts for the mounts totally line up with my father's '69 Sea Skiff (the vinyl is a bit too clean, the clamps on the cockpit side are a bit different, and the single leg should officially be set into a recess fitting in the cockpit floor instead of having the but plug on it (and the sliced hose on the main leg - never need that over the teak on Dad's for the 25 years he had it!) - but those deviations are small potatoes compared to how much you honour the initial design and intent!!! Again - Kudos!

When I fried some gauges I stressed for months about finding replacement DetMars, before I finally gave up and changed to new Teleflex gauges. With any luck, my remaining working DetMar Tachs will have a re-birth in Jamie's (Striperman) F32.

Anyhoo.... a bit of a diversion... As usual, I love what you have done, and you provide an incredible example of what to aim for, for the other DIYers out there!

Even if our boats don't make it to the Cdn Rendezvous, hoping to make it myself and see you there!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

captainmaniac wrote:When I fried some gauges I stressed for months about finding replacement DetMars, before I finally gave up and changed to new Teleflex gauges. With any luck, my remaining working DetMar Tachs will have a re-birth in Jamie's (Striperman) F32.
Do you by any chance have an hour gauge? I need one to replace a dead starboard engine one.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the kind words Captain, I do love the classic design of these boats and try to maintain the style where ever possible along with a few modern touches blended in.

As for the seats, the original design is simple and very functional in this boat. The F-26 is roomy for a small cruiser however the cockpit is still fairly small. The seats frame design allows for storage of bulky things beneath them while keeping the walk ways clear. Under the helm seat is where I keep a Colman stainless steel cooler which can be opened up without having to slide it out to open the lid. If I had a pedestal mounted seat, this would not be possible and I would be tripping over the cooler in the walking area. Also, the ability to quickly remove these seats with nothing left behind on the floor is a real plus in this Trojan design. Servicing the engine often requires lying on the floor in this area which would be difficult to do with pedestals or pedestal bases in the way. The seats themselves are quite comfortable for such a simple design. The only changes that I made to them is that I made the helm seat 4" narrower than the companion seat to widen the walk way and the foam is now 1" thicker on both seats.

I'm getting anxious to get the winter cover off and get the boat in the water to try out the new seats and other things that I've done over the last couple of years. I missed out on last year's boating season due to health issues so this season should be that much sweeter.
Paul