Replacing Alternators with more Power

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigralph

Re: Replacing Alternators with more Power

Post by bigralph »

mikeandanne wrote:I think that wire going to the coil is the 12 volt feed for the alt field which is probably about 2 amps as there is a resistor--- now if that has been shorted somehow it will put 12 to the coil instead of from it if you follow me--- don't know how these new alts excite --- but I believe that is how the original was----hope this helps--- Mike
I called the alt guy and referred back to the manual. The original prestolite had an exciter lead (yellow red) that connects to the resistor. He says the exciter lead on the new alt is just a dummy going to chasis gnd. He suggested disconnecting and trying again. It'll be friday b4 I tey again but I will post results.

Thanks.
bigralph

Re: Replacing Alternators with more Power

Post by bigralph »

Unplugging the yellow lead from the alternator exciter re-enabled my ignition switch. The ignition switch works the way it should for both engines. I just tapped the crap out of the lead on both engines and tie-wrapped all the yellow leads back on themselves (disconnected).

STBD engine was completed today and it's squealing badly. I'm guessing that the belt was a little more loose than I thought when I finished. Unless tightening doesn't solve the squealing, I think I'm done with the alternator project. It of course has led to a new project, so I'm going to reactive an old thread, then I'm going to cry in my milk on a 3rd thread.

Thanks for all the help.