Gas struts for engine lids

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wetbuoy

Gas struts for engine lids

Post by wetbuoy »

I am trying to put a pair of gas struts on each engine lid for safety. Attwood used to do the calculations but no more (thanks a lot). there are way too many variables for trial and error, so I'm hoping someone knows how to do the calculations. Just in case, my two doors are about 40 lbs each, distance from hinge to opposite side is 45", and the door travel would be from horizontal to 100 degrees. So I can't figure the strength or length or positioning of the struts. I may end up making a strut out of dowel and tubing and a hinged frame in the toolroom as a template. :shock: :idea: I just realized that might work. Will let you know...
Thanks for any help.
wetbuoy (F28)
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: Gas struts for engine lids

Post by gitchisum »

Try here, it a friend of mines company and you can search on the three parameters

http://www.allegiscorp.com/products2.aspx?id=19&acc=0
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Boy that is something I have been giving thought to, at least a little. My f28 hinged doors are definitely heavy, especially with sound deadner on the which is going away.
I also have thought of screw jack or electric/hydraulic openers. Thanks for asking the question as I need the answer also, my boat is about 1 to 2 weeks from going back in water. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
wetbuoy

Post by wetbuoy »

Larry and gitchisum,

I'm making progress on the struts but what a hassle. I am just waiting to hear back from a company and will post you when I hear.
I only had the 42.5 lb door fall on my head once last season. Did I say I love this boat?
FYI I have just bought from Hot Spark Ignition 2 electronic ignition kits for my 225 MerCruisers. Cost about 65 USD each. fitted them but not installed yet though simple enough. When I got the boat there was a box full of points, condensers, caps and rotors, all useless and burned. Just change the entire points plate and retime the engine. So off we go into the 21st century...
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
wetbuoy

Post by wetbuoy »

Follow up. McMaster-Carr won't help with retail sales, especially Canadian. US commercial only. No go with Attwood Marine. Industrial Gas Struts was a strike out, and Guden Hardware uses the same diagram as JR Products. Next try will be gitchisum's friend.
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Good luck, my f28 has rods that prevent the heavy hatch from falling, if I use them. :shock:
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
hanybop

Post by hanybop »

I would try looking at some automotive door struts, they should have a load rating/stroke printed on them, all you would have to do is figure out your stroke from closed to opened and find a minimum/maximum size you can work with, and you wouldn't have to get a 40+ pound strut I would go with a load rating of 40-60% of the door weight at max, because all you need is the door to stay opened, in my thinking if you get a strut that's powerful enough when you hit a wave that door will fly opened, have a look in Canadian tire they have a whole section of them.

hope this helps

Paul
wetbuoy

Post by wetbuoy »

I finally made some progress. None of the companies I tried would help and now I see why. I finally called a machinist friend who designs odd machines to get his input. He said he knew exactly how to do it and it would only take one visit for measurements and a solid 2 hours on his $30K+ autocad design program his company uses. I was starting to think that this might be the case... Anyway he agreed it would be a good idea and is working on it. This is going to cost me some serious beer but it will be worth it. If it goes well (it will), I'll ask his permission to pass along the information.

Stephen (wetbuoy)
1980 F28 flybridge
2x 305 Mercruiser
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Here is a copy of article from Boat U.S Magazine June/July 2014 regarding how to rig power hatch openers. http://www.boatusmagazine.com/boatusmag ... y_2014#pg1. Well software would not let my upload a PDF the article starts on Page 88, anyway. :D
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink