Help with buying a 1986 F-27 ***Purchased w/pics!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-26 ***Purchased w/pics!

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Nice looking boat. Its great to purchase something with maintenance records. Rare these days. Good luck
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-26

Post by zedtwentyate »

akwalker wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:
zedtwentyate wrote:Well my new friends, I am offiallyish a new Trojan F-27 owner.
The other issue was that the gentlemen signed over a non-transferrable registration in NYS...blah blah blah....text text text

...A whole bunch of great text...
Interesting about the registration. I thought the boat had a NYS reg sticker on it, as seen in one of the CL ad pictures. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out quickly. Where are you going to be docked?

Sorry for the string of posts...I answered above (Grandma's house on Chittenango Creek in Bridgeport). The boat is registered in NYS and that expired May 31st. The issue is the registration is non-transferable, so I will need to sort out the USCG stuff prior to being able to register it myself. If we transfer ownership with the USCG, the DMV will see that as an official transfer and allow me to register it.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

zedtwentyate wrote:
akwalker wrote:Is that the boat that was stored at Snug Harbor? "Ros-A-Lee, right? Where are you going to keep her docked? We are in Oneida Lake marina, just south of you. I have an '81 F-26. If you need any help with anything, let me know. See you on the lake, and congratulations.

She'll be docked on Chittenango Creek in Bridgeport,NY. My wife's grandmother has a house there and is missing her daughters F32 that was docked there for the last 15 years.

Thank you for the offer of help! I am sure that I will need it. It's sitting on the wall at Sylvan right now because Mariners didnt have a slip and I cant bring it back until sunday. If you're in the area today, just chase away an pirates pillaging her for her spoils (old am/fm radio, empty beer cans and a destroyed canvas).

I look forward to meeting you!
Sorry, missed that post. We will be going up later today. Have to go to Mariner's for fuel, if the lake isn't too bad from all the rain and today's wind. If its too crappy to boat, I'm going to go out early tomorrow morning for a few hours before I have to be home for a Fathers Day BBQ in the afternoon. Will keep an eye out for you.
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

akwalker wrote:
zedtwentyate wrote:
akwalker wrote:Is that the boat that was stored at Snug Harbor? "Ros-A-Lee, right? Where are you going to keep her docked? We are in Oneida Lake marina, just south of you. I have an '81 F-26. If you need any help with anything, let me know. See you on the lake, and congratulations.

She'll be docked on Chittenango Creek in Bridgeport,NY. My wife's grandmother has a house there and is missing her daughters F32 that was docked there for the last 15 years.

Thank you for the offer of help! I am sure that I will need it. It's sitting on the wall at Sylvan right now because Mariners didnt have a slip and I cant bring it back until sunday. If you're in the area today, just chase away an pirates pillaging her for her spoils (old am/fm radio, empty beer cans and a destroyed canvas).

I look forward to meeting you!
Sorry, missed that post. We will be going up later today. Have to go to Mariner's for fuel, if the lake isn't too bad from all the rain and today's wind. If its too crappy to boat, I'm going to go out early tomorrow morning for a few hours before I have to be home for a Fathers Day BBQ in the afternoon. Will keep an eye out for you.

Thank you very much! If you see strangers loading it with beer and swabbing the poop deck, those are my minions. My wife's grandfather starting a little yacht club way back in the day (Anchorage Yacht Club or AYC) and i told the club to feel free to get her ready for me! My plan is to drive the lake with her mother and father on sunday morning, so maybe we will see you. I'm really looking forward to meeting a few other Trojan owners!
Kegan

MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Nice looking boat, Congratulations and Best of Luck!
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Saw your boat tied to the wall this morning. Looks nice sitting in the water. Did you get it moved? The lake was a bit nautical this morning. Hope it layed down in the afternoon.
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

akwalker wrote:Saw your boat tied to the wall this morning. Looks nice sitting in the water. Did you get it moved? The lake was a bit nautical this morning. Hope it layed down in the afternoon.

Thank you!. She is in dire need of a cleaning. We drove it across the lake yesterday afternoon, right before the lake started calming down. She handled the minor chop really well. After we reached the halfway point, I pushed her a little to see what she had. The Merc 230 305CI really wouldnt get up over 3200-3200 RPM. I think I need to do a little carb work and check the ignition system. She purred like a kitten though!

Not sure if you noticed, but that canvas is really shot to hell. I'm looking for a new bimini top to hold me over before I am ready to by a new canvas.

For the next week or so it will be clean clean clean while we wait to clear up the USCG documentation.

Thank you!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Here are a few more pics.

The back canvas is pretty much shot, but this funny little bow cover (no idea what to call this) is brand new!

Kegan

akwalker
Sporadic User

Re: Help with buying a 1986 F-27 ***Purchased w/pics!

Post by akwalker »

Very nice
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

How is the clean-up / rehab going? Can you post some interior pics...
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Diablo wrote:How is the clean-up / rehab going? Can you post some interior pics...
The clean up is going well. I told my wife the other day that I don't remember a time feeling more broke than right now. Can't say that no one told me so!

I got your message diablo, but I didn't see a place to reply.

The boat has been good. I have a fuel/carburetor issue going on and she is taking on some water. The carb issue is that i can't get it over 3100 RPM. We are cruising around 10 knots, which i know isn't right. I plan on ripping that quadrajet out and rebuilding it as well as replacing the fuel filter. I may have to bring in a professional at some point in the near future to help diagnose it and to find the leak.

I don't have any interior pictures. Its just bare foam at the moment. I pulled the broken fridge out and replaced the carpeted floor with some dark hardwood (the cheap tung and groove kind). That's about all that I plan on doing until I can get the motor and water issue figured out.

I also have to replace the canvas...Anyone have a spare top for sale???
Kegan

drjohn71a

Post by drjohn71a »

Zed, I recently bought a 30' Sea Raider with a small, hard to find, intermittent leak. I found out suddenly it was a split in the rubber exhaust riser boot. Fortunately, I'd already put a 110V sump pump in and the marina experienced the full bow out while putting in an alternator. They stuffed the slit w/ towels and got her in the sling in just the knick of time.

So, it'd pay to try flexing those rubber parts w/ & w/o engine running.

Also note, it was on the NEW engine! Not the 41 yr old engine. There seems to be a rule in rubber goods that they tend to break right after you've hooked something new to them.

John
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Zed, how is the timing on the engine? Sounds to me like its not advancing. You might want to check that before you tear apart the carb. If you need help, let me know. Went through the same issues with my boat when I got it 4 years ago because it sat so long. Flywieghts in the distributor were seized. Freed them up, and been great ever since.

Also, if the boat is waterlogged, you're going to have a tough time getting it up to speed. Where does the water ingress seem to be coming from?
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

akwalker wrote:Zed, how is the timing on the engine? Sounds to me like its not advancing. You might want to check that before you tear apart the carb. If you need help, let me know. Went through the same issues with my boat when I got it 4 years ago because it sat so long. Flywieghts in the distributor were seized. Freed them up, and been great ever since.

Also, if the boat is waterlogged, you're going to have a tough time getting it up to speed. Where does the water ingress seem to be coming from?
I can't exactly tell where the water is coming from. The first place we looked was the shaft seal, but that appeared to be okay. I will be heading down to the boat today, so I will see what I can determine. The other challenge is that whoever wired up these bilge pumps, only wired them to work on the switch, not with the float system (which seems crazy to me). It also appeared that I was taking on more water while moving then docked.

As far as the timing goes, I will rip apart the distributor today and see how she looks. I know a little more about carbs than timing, so I was naturally drawn to look at that first. Looks like I will break out the old timing gun and hit up the google machine to see what needs to be done. Great point about sticky parts from sitting so long.

On another note, I picked up a new promariner charger for my shore power system. Should be here by the end of the week. The old ray jefferson system was only putting out 8 volts while hooked up to shore power. If anyone else is looking, "the charger guy" has some great deals right now. I think his site is chargerguy.com or something like that.

I also picked up some reupholstered side mount seats to replace my torn up puke brown ones that came on the boat. Looking forward to getting these white ones installed!
Kegan

drjohn71a

Post by drjohn71a »

The exhaust riser leaks are more active with higher rpms, such as moving. That's why the mechanics missed the leak at dockside, then I'd come in w/ lots of bilge water after cruising.