Bad smell in 10 meter closet

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhalb
Moderate User

Bad smell in 10 meter closet

Post by jhalb »

I have a bad smell coming from my closet at the top of the stairs to the cabin in my 10 Meter. The smell is not in my forward bilge or engine compartment. There are 3 hoses in there, water fill, water vent and galley sink drain. I don't see any standing water. Does anyone have a suggestion were to start?
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Breezy 1

Re: Bad smell in 10 meter closet

Post by Breezy 1 »

I get that in mine as well. I put a cup or so of bleach in the freshwater tank and top it off and it goes away every time.
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing
http://www.breezy1charters.com
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I'd wonder about the vent line. Over time, they absorb the odors. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the 10M. Is it fairly easy to replace the lines?
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I had a similar issue on my mid cabin and it was the galley sink drain hose that was permeated. I could really smell it when I removed the trash can which it runs under. It was also really sticky a telltale sign of a bad hose.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I also think it may have something to do with your sink drain lines. It is possible that one is leaking into the area below the sink, My 10 Meter's area under the sink and behind the frig vents into the closet, I think it does this for cooling for the frig. I would remove the trash can and look to see if anything is in there.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

check the forward bilge carefully, as the hose runs to the fresh water tank and fwd bilge pump share the same "chase"

this year I learned the value of an annual bilge clean out on the 10 meter vacuum liner hull.

While on the lift I removed the aft hull drain plug and flushed from the forward bilge back.

got a surprising amount of crud out.

At rest, the fwd bilge is the lowest spot and will collect the most water, aft bilge stays dry, unless underway.

now a good squirt of DAWN detergent (maybe i'll try TIDE next) can help keep things clean.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

I put bleach in the water tank, replaced the galley drain hose and through some bilge cleaner in my bilge. Smell is gone. Thanks for everybody's help.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Breezy 1

Post by Breezy 1 »

I chased the same issue you described for a couple weeks years back. Always when it gets hot or warmer out. Every time as soon as I put some bleach or sanitize in the tank, it goes away almost instantly.
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing
http://www.breezy1charters.com
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

If your galley sink drain hose is that cheap flexible "Ribbed" kind it can hold bits of food and junk that will start to rot. I replaced all 3 of mine with the good sani-hose.... was an easy fix and never smells or gets clogged. I also pour a little Simple Green in the bilges every now and then.
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

I know the galley drain hose was a big part of my problem. I replaced the hose and through the old one away in the trash can in my garage. The next day I could smell the smell in my garage. It's been a few weeks now and the boat is still odor free.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express