Trojan F 32 sportfisherman on Ebay

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CrunchyBacon

Trojan F 32 sportfisherman on Ebay

Post by CrunchyBacon »

Stumbled on what appears to be a decent F 32 on ebay yesterday. He's asking 4300.00 if anyone's interested. I'd probably try if I wasn't already invested and committed to my f 31.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400763078338?nav=SEARCH
1973 Trojan F-31 (An Appointment)
Statesboro, GA 30459
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan F 32 sportfisherman on Ebay

Post by prowlersfish »

May not be a bad deal . But it is a project boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

I didn't read the description, but scanning the photos she doesn't look all that bad. Assuming the motors have life left it seems to be a decent deal.

It looks like they intended to rise the galley to salon level. The thought has crossed my mind on my boat, and it would be interesting to see how much the change helps of hurts the layout.
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

297Elegante wrote:It looks like they intended to rise the galley to salon level. The thought has crossed my mind on my boat, and it would be interesting to see how much the change helps of hurts the layout.
If you want the galley raised, save yourself a lot of headaches and move up to an F36...
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

The F36 has it one step down correct? I've always been up in the air on galley up set ups, but the few boats I've been on with them seem to work very well (hatteras and egg harbor).
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

One step down for the galley on the F36 is correct . You don't really notice the one step it works well . FWIW a Viking 45 is also one step down
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

IMHO...Trojan built some 3000 F-32's in the same configuration, and for the size of boat it works(ed) very well, the hack job on the ebay boat is,- one-, makes no layout sense,- two-, in any kind of seas, is just plain dangerous, if there is any sort of railing, it would eliminate the room. now if they took the galley space and made a stall shower....then maybe, but still, a shower will never trump salon space...again...IMHO
also, they forgot to mention that when they pulled the motors because of the leaking fuel tanks (saddle tanks are missing) they didnt clean and paint the motors or fix the oil leak that is evident in the photos
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

When my wife and I were shopping we looked at the F32 and F36. Truth be told, I have loved the F36 lines (over the F32's) since I was a kid in the 70s, and prefer the bigger boat over the smaller one.

Reality though is this : your boating experience and life aboard are driven by three things - how well the boat handles the water you intend to use it on, how well it operates at the speeds you want to travel, and how well the interior layout works for how you intend to use it. For some people it is a day boat. For some it is a fishing machine. For some it is a weekend cottage. For some it's the cottage for 1-3 weeks over the summer. For others it's a live-aboard. [note: your experience also depends on gas vs diesel, how reliable the engines are, how reliable everything else is, etc.... but just ignoring all that for now...]

While the F36 may be better then than the F32 for really bad conditions, Great Lakes boating is a little more tame than open ocean stuff.. and the F32 is fully capable for the Great Lakes. I think both handle similarly at all speeds, in 'normal' (under 8' waves, wavelength at least 100') water conditions. So unless you have really demanding performance criteria, it really comes down to what interior layout works best for you. For myself and my wife, the F32 galley and dinette down worked better than the F36 galley up (but having to go down stars to deliver food to the dinette). The open salon with access to the galley / dinette on the F32 worked better for us than having the galley exposed to the salon (in the F36), because then your guests can see the mess in progress.

To each his own. Your mileage may vary.

But bottom line - probably a bad idea to try to turn an 'inny' in to an 'outy'. If nothing else, there is a center of gravity issue that needs to be compensated for.