New to Trojan...looking at 1976 F28

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

shanecs

New to Trojan...looking at 1976 F28

Post by shanecs »

Hey guys I don't know much about Trojans. I'm looking for a larger boat than what I currently have (22' Trophy with a 175 E-tec). I've run into a 1976 F28 with twin 350's. Boat looks great, no blistering, mechanically sound etc (and 12,500 seems great considering it comes with a trailer). My concern is that I've heard the Trojan 28' doesn't particularly do well in following or quartering seas...especially above 3-4 ft. I've also read that bow steering is an issue. I realize that operator error and weight distribution etc can make any boat difficult to handle. Anyone have any experience with this particular model in 3ft seas or above? I live in Southeast Alaska and 3-4 foot seas are the norm. Thanks in advance for helping out the new guy.
JimK

Re: New to Trojan...looking at 1976 F28

Post by JimK »

I think the F28 has a modified v hull which may not do well when the waves get above 3' or 4'.

Since you mentioned that you are new to Trojans, one thing you may want to be aware of is that many of the F series Trojans have direct drive transmissions but the F28 has v-drives. V-drives may not be as well suited as direct drives to running in the type of water that you are in. V-drives are also quite a bit more expensive to replace or rebuild than direct drives.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There is a big difference between 3-4 seas and 3-4 foot waves . 3-4 ""seas are no big deal were the distant between the "wave" is long , but when the waves are close to each other like what we call Chesapeake chop here that will beat you pretty good . A sea trail may give you the answer

I don't do see the V-dive being relevant .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Since 3-4 footers are the norm, that must be real fun in your 22' Bayliner. I think that the Trojan F-28 will do at least as well or better than what you are used to.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
shanecs

Post by shanecs »

Yes, thank you for making me clarify. I was referring to waves not seas. I agree a sea trial is definitely a must. I appreciate both of you taking the time to respond. Thanks for helping the newbie.