Reconsidering

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CrunchyBacon

Reconsidering

Post by CrunchyBacon »

My original plans as many of you know was to convert my f-31 into a more efficient offshore tuna fishing machine. After being schooled on hull types and learning that this was not really gonna work well, I am now considering building a 33' downeast style lobster boat. Project should take about $6300 and 2yrs. I will be using my f-31 as the perfect donor boat during this build. That gives me a huge advantage financially as I won't have to purchase motor, trans, props, tanks, interior, etc, etc. I know many will be sad and many will probably flame me. Many though will probably want to follow my progress. Try to look at this as a rebirth or honorable sacrifice instead of destruction. I have included some photos from the plans as well as a rough finished build photo.
Attachments
pic451a.jpg
pic451a.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
dsn-plkla.jpg
dsn-plkla.jpg (9.72 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
dsn-plklb.jpg
dsn-plklb.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
1973 Trojan F-31 (An Appointment)
Statesboro, GA 30459
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: Reconsidering

Post by gitchisum »

Crunchy,

Sounds like a fantastic idea!
i think you will have a solid platform for enjoying yourself and catching fish. I wish you the best, and would like to follow your progress.
no flames here.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

Thank you gitchisum. I will be sure and keep you posted. I want to try and come up with a name for the new boat that honors my f-31 and would love any ideas or suggestions.
Statesboro, GA 30459
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Idea, I named my f28 "The Phoenix" as it rose from ashes of junk. Maybe something similiar along those lines would work as you are resurrecting a boat. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I love a down east style boat . But if you could build it for 6300 I would do it . I believe your way off on your cost est maybe by 10x ? Sorry to be the downer . :(
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I'd think you'll need at least $6300 to rebuild an old used diesel that should be pushing a down east lobster type boat for off shore fishing ?
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

$6300 in just hull materials. Not motor, as I already have 2 perfectly capable gas ones. The plan calls for either a gas or diesel engine putting out 120 shp. One of mine is 225 hp. That leaves me with an extra engine as well. @ Prowlerfish. I'm having a hard time seeing the hull cost as much as 10x. I did leave paint out of the estimate but still?
Statesboro, GA 30459
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

i suggest selling F31 parts that you will not need to help finance the build, im always interested in parts for my F32
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

CrunchyBacon wrote:$6300 in just hull materials. Not motor, as I already have 2 perfectly capable gas ones. The plan calls for either a gas or diesel engine putting out 120 shp. One of mine is 225 hp. That leaves me with an extra engine as well. @ Prowlerfish. I'm having a hard time seeing the hull cost as much as 10x. I did leave paint out of the estimate but still?

What are you going to build it out of ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Sounds like time to do a spreadsheet to evaluate the project

worst case and best case scenarios for all systems, and broken down into categories

example

rudders & steering labor low labor high parts low parts high

then do all categories

electrical 120 side
electrical 12v side
shafts & struts
fuel tanks & filtration
engines
gear
shafts, struts and rudders
instrumentation
seacocks & fittings
mufflers and exhaust
interior
glass & framing
generator/inverter system
plumbing
sanitation system & head
fresh water system

and on and on

I believe this will establish a closer reality.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but seriously, the $6,300 includes, exactly what ?

What is missing from that number?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Sounds like a great project and an innovative way to use parts that you know well and have confidence in to help minimize the cost. I love the down east style of lobster boat and fell in love with the lines and the look several years ago when we spent two weeks on the Maine seacoast around Rockland.

I will want to follow your progress also and best of luck to you.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

That price is way off..... and why stay gas??

Buy a used one with diesel... Here is one for $5,000 Can
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorb ... nFlag=true

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
CrunchyBacon

Post by CrunchyBacon »

@ prowlerfish: Boat will be constructed of wood and epoxy with a thick layer paint. I can't really see the cost going over my estimate but it may. The good thing about a build is you can just buy the materials as you go. I'm debating adding a layer of glass as well so we'll see.

@RWS: I like your idea of a high/low spreadsheet but have very little knowledge of office related software. As far as the build goes I will be using anything and everything I can off of the donor boat. For example engine, trans, shaft, prop, rudder, tanks, filtration/fuel, pumps, steering, etc etc etc. Basically everything I can use will be. I'm sure I will find items that either need to be replaced or rebuilt but I can tackle those in due time.

@Ready123: That is the first downeast style boat running I've seen under 50k. Sounds almost too good to be true. It's not really setup for what I want either but thank you though. The benefit of building one is everything is built and located efficiently for example. The tuna/ice hold, the fuel tanks, the electronic panels and switches and so on. And the only reason I'm going with gas is simply because I have 2 complete running setups. I can always repower with diesel later on down the road.

@k9th: I will definitely keep everyone informed and updated on the progress. Plans will arrive soon and I'll go from there.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm posting a link to the estimate of build materials if anyone is interested.
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/workboat/ ... p-bom.html
Statesboro, GA 30459
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I would typically say you're crazy, but I have seen some amazing projects done by people on this forum that I would otherwise say were undoable.

I will tell you that, as is listed by my name, I have a 1961 Century Raven that my dad and I have been completely restoring. My dad is retired and works on it almost every week. Everything came with the boat, so it's really just a matter of replacing the rotted or non-working items. We have been working on this boat for 4 years, and it is significantly less complicated than the boat you are making. Hopefully we will have it in the water next summer.

All I have to say is good luck, and post pictures of your project on here. I love the Down Easter style boat. The one pictured is beautiful.

Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Being the downer here , You may be in for a shock when you price wood to build it , good marine grade lumber is not cheap or bronze nails and screws . Also that style boat won't do well with a small prop like your boat has , you'll need to go much larger . A larger prop Needs a reduction gear trans . Then of course you will need a larger shaft . I just spent your first 6K .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels