My boat is in dry dock but?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dfg4240
Sporadic User

My boat is in dry dock but?

Post by dfg4240 »

Her Gel coat looks good but her bottom is going to cost me $$$$.
Oh Well! I guess they said Media Chip or something to take right down to the bare bones and then repaint her.
They are going to give me a few quotes . Sand blasted or whatever filled and painted but they recommended media blast down to the bare boat and then let her set inside storage over the winter and let whatever water is there to dry and paint her in the spring.also those little wood fins that run along the sides towards the back_one is starting to get soft.
anybody replace these before.mine are painted but I would like to take both out and replace with teak.
Attachments
gelcoat looks good
gelcoat looks good
IMG_0284.JPG (99.11 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
this isn't to bad
this isn't to bad
IMG_0285.JPG (230.37 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
this is the bad part up towards the front of the bow
this is the bad part up towards the front of the bow
IMG_0281.JPG (228.67 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: My boat is in dry dock but?

Post by captainmaniac »

First of all I have to say - I (almost) hate you. That gel looks AWESOME!!!! What year is it? With that gloss and reflection, is that original gel or has the boat been redone? I thought my '79 looked great with the right polish and wax, but holly crap!

Re the bottom - really depends on what kind of water you are in, and what's going on with the bottom. You didn't say anything about if you were in salt or fresh water (that changes things), or if you have osmosis or blistering problems, or what kind of antifouling you have on there now. All of that affects what 'treatment' you might need. If 'they' want you to leave it over winter to "let whatever water is there to dry",that suggests osmosis, but I don't see that in the pictures.

The pictures don't suggest you have a huge problem (the last one suggests many layers of a potentially hard/leeching antifouling, but nothing I haven't seen in 20-40 year old boats), so just wanna understand (as does everyone else on the forum) your world a bit more to figure out what makes sense, or if 'they' are trying to take advantage of you.

(I redid my bottom a few years ago; special stripper system (that failed), followed by manual scraping and sanding (60 grit); then repaint with 4 coats of Interlux Micron CSC. Total investment (including failed stripping system) - 100 hours of my time + costs. Had about 35 years of hard antifouling buildup on the bottom)

Splash rails you are talking about ("wood fins that run along the sides") I don't think they are factory on an F32, so would want to understand what you have. Realistically, these are not needed on this model, but if you want to replace with like it will be a custom job.
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I believe 1985 is the year they quit installing splash rails. A friend of mine has a 1985 F32 and the molding of the hull is different at the splash rail area. I did do new splash rails on my F36. I used African Mahogany to make them coated them in Cetol light and they match my swim platform perfectly! Prowlersfish has seen them(if he can remember that far back :P )! They were a P I T A to do but well worth it!Save the old ones to use as a template to shape the new ones. Mine were originally a dark colored mahogany. Make sure you seal the mounting area with 4200 or something. Good luck!
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

The boat is a 78. They have her uo on blocks and the boat looks beautiful.Classic lines.I was thinking of replacing the splash rails with teak?
That build up is only in the from part of the bow.
Trying to get full shots of the boat. she looks good and runs great. I just had the inside rugs replaced.
They are snap on rugs and curtains.I don't know if they are media blasting the whole bottom-Just waiting to see what prices I get.I think they just blast it with some sort of shells.
David
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

here are some pics-better pics.
I took a long time to buffed her out last fall. Still looks good.
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/dgouv ... c.jpg.html
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Allen how did you get to all the bolts ? (the ones be hind the front fuel tanks )

dfg4240 you said their getting soft , could they be repaired with a epoxy like west system or even get rot ? or even " Minwax® High Performance Wood Hardener "
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

I know I could inject the rot in her and it would harden but I think I would like to remove them and take a shot at making them from a teak board.
Hey! if it does not turn out right then I will think about something else.
I want to paint the sliding glass door frame.
I just touched it up last year but I want to do it right this time.
I know it sounds ridiculous but is there a teak color I can spray on the doors it or should I go the same as everybody and spray it black.
what kind of paint is that anyway.
david
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I've replaced my spray rails. I had the guy at Woodshop 102 in Key Largo FL make me a set from teak. He made the kits in 1" strips that tapered. I layed up the first board against the hull with black 5200 and screws (use 4200 if you ever want to take them off. I figure i never would or have to grind off the 5200 if it ever came to that). Then the next three layers I screwed into the first layer. after it all set up, I took a belt sander and shaped them smooth. Topped them off with 3 coats West Systems and put the chrome back on.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"