Gas Tank Failure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RobertS

Gas Tank Failure

Post by RobertS »

I'm told that the gas tanks are subject to failure because they are sitting on moist wood.
Does anyone have any further info on this? 1969 model, 42ft. Thanks
K4282
Moderate User

Re: Gas Tank Failure

Post by K4282 »

alluminum tanks? yes, I had a new one made in a boat and the place recomended using something like 4200 and siliconing the tank to plastic strips then to the wood, worked great, no straps needed
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

RobertS wrote:I'm told that the gas tanks are subject to failure because they are sitting on moist wood.
That is correct and your vintage is likely galvanized which typically rust from the inside out. While they may look okay on the outside, the inside may be a different story. A good indicator that they are rusting internally is the presence of rust in the fuel filters on a regular basis and discoloured fuel. If they are galvanized tanks, it's pretty typical for their age to be rusted internally by now so this is something you should inspect as it will cause headaches both for the engines and and worse if they spring a leak when the rust finally breaks through.

Tanks should always be strapped down. I would not rely on an adhesive alone. The lack of mechanical fashenings will also be a red flag on a survey.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

Big D wrote:
RobertS wrote:I'm told that the gas tanks are subject to failure because they are sitting on moist wood.
That is correct and your vintage is likely galvanized which typically rust from the inside out. While they may look okay on the outside, the inside may be a different story. A good indicator that they are rusting internally is the presence of rust in the fuel filters on a regular basis and discoloured fuel. If they are galvanized tanks, it's pretty typical for their age to be rusted internally by now so this is something you should inspect as it will cause headaches both for the engines and and worse if they spring a leak when the rust finally breaks through.

Tanks should always be strapped down. I would not rely on an adhesive alone. The lack of mechanical fashenings will also be a red flag on a survey.
Sounds scary, is there a liner solution, or some recommended fix? Thanks.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

RobertS wrote:
Big D wrote:

Sounds scary, is there a liner solution, or some recommended fix? Thanks.
If they are as bad as I know they can be, the fix is to replace them. I know there are a few alternatives out there from bladders to coatings but bladders aren't an option in tanks with baffles without an unreasonable amount of work, and coatings are impractical when the corrosion is past a certain point. All that will do is perhaps buy you a bit of time. If you're keeping the boat, replace them and be done with it if not for just peace of mind.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

Sounds scary, is there a liner solution, or some recommended fix? Thanks.[/quote]

If they are as bad as I know they can be, the fix is to replace them. I know there are a few alternatives out there from bladders to coatings but bladders aren't an option in tanks with baffles without an unreasonable amount of work, and coatings are impractical when the corrosion is past a certain point. All that will do is perhaps buy you a bit of time. If you're keeping the boat, replace them and be done with it if not for just peace of mind.[/quote]

So for my first foray into this tank adventure, would I go in through the deck, or the side? They see quite inaccessible.
Thanks for your tips.
RobertS

Post by RobertS »

I assume the 2 tanks under the beds are for water. They are very large. They are also very accessible.
Seems a bit dangerous having them right beside those monster engines.
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

What other materials did Trojan use for fuel tanks. Ths previous owner told me I had a stainless tank on my 83 10 meter. I don't know if he was talking about the tank or fittings.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express