Teak Work

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gitchisum
Moderate User

Teak Work

Post by gitchisum »

took advantage of a nice fall day and started some of my winter projects. The PO had neglected the exterior teak and I actually had moss growing on the bow pulpit!
Teak 1.JPG
Teak 1.JPG (49.07 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Teak 2.JPG
Teak 2.JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Hit the pieces with a pressure washer and they cleaned up nicely. Now on to some sanding, and Cetol finish.
Teak 3.JPG
Teak 3.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
I am thinking about using some type of epoxy filler where the strips on the pulpit have slight gaps in them. anyone have suggestions on what to use?
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: Teak Work

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I think epoxy will work well. Take some clear unthickened epoxy in a syringe and run it along the cracks. Then find some big clamps and clamp the entire pulpit to close the gaps. Let it dry for 24 hours. I would then sand down any high points and put 2 to 3 coats of clear epoxy over the entire surface. Let it dry and sand it. It will make a great surface for your varnish. Just make sure the varnish you use is compatible with the epoxy.

I
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

That's what I would call neglect on the swim platform. I had mine planned down both sides 1/64 at a time till we got to new wood. Then refinished with 4 coats of natural CETOL. Built a new bow pulpit over the winter in the same style as the swim platform and used West System 105 epoxy and stainless screws to join everything. Again 4 coats of CETOL. Now all looks brand new and you cannot tell any difference front to back. Will re-coat yearly.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

finishing up the work started over winter. I went with a darker Cetol on the finish and really like it. Same stuff I had used on my F-26.

Rebuilding all the hatches, right down to new neoprene gaskets and barrel nuts. I was able to salvage all the existing hatch hardware. Used Brasso to clean it up and it worked wonders.

Couple of pics attached
hatch snip.JPG
hatch snip.JPG (61.92 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
ladder snip.JPG
ladder snip.JPG (170.27 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"