Cockpit Flooring Synthetic Teaks ... Any Experiences?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

brandonwbn

Cockpit Flooring Synthetic Teaks ... Any Experiences?

Post by brandonwbn »

So the floor in my 10M express cockpit has carpet in it. I hate carpet in boats for the simple reason they hold moisture, even in the cabin I prefer a solid floor, but this is just my opinion and preference and everyone is different.

Now I am interested in doing a engineered type floor covering in the cockpit and rear deck area. A friend of mine did the glue down Nuteak in his 48' Ocean. Looks awesome, there are inconsistencies in gaps and fit due to the installers, and well its $5500 installed, and if you get tired of it, it's epoxied down so a refinish of the gel coat surface will have to be done.

I found a product on Ebay, which led me to the manufacturers site and put me in contact with an area rep. The product is called Better Than Teak, and its manufactured by Infinity Fabrics http://infinityfabricsllc.com/. This product can be a glue down, however, it can also have bound edges and roll up like carpet which I like because its easy to clean and sometimes I like a plain whit cockpit and rear deck. It has a great appearance, and is supposedly made with a rubber like material so it won't hold water and has a cushioned backing that also is supposed to drain well. I can use my current carpet which is only 2 years old, as templates for the new material. Total cost would be under $2000.

Has anyone used this material? How does it feel? Appearance? Durability?

It says on their site about 10 manufacturers use this as standard in new boat, so that to me says something, but they are in business to make money so they will say what they need to sell product. I'm looking at the teak style material
Brandon
1983 10 Meter International Express -sold-
1985 10 Meter International Express
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: Cockpit Flooring Synthetic Teaks ... Any Experiences?

Post by Barrie »

Sorry I can't offer any useful advise other than to say, that is very cool looking stuff.
The images that they have on their site of it in boats gives me much to ponder!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

Barrie wrote:Sorry I can't offer any useful advise other than to say, that is very cool looking stuff.
The images that they have on their site of it in boats gives me much to ponder!

That's exactly what I said and why I want it. Plus if it drains as they claim mold and mildew shouldn't be an issue. She will have the enclosure up whenever we are at the dock, and we rarely head out in rain, so the only water that will contact it is either when I wash her down or from hanging out in the lake.

I know there is nothing like real teak and if I wanted the real thing I would do it but in this case I don't want it. I have my first child on the way so something that's low impact (softer) other than carpet with a teak look that's easy to maintain and I can remove without any issues.
Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I really like the textured patterns. I don't mind the teak and holly look on the outside, but I'm thinking those light coloured patterns on the floor would brighten up small areas and make them seem more modern. The dark mahogany and teak on the walls would make the interior "rich" looking.
I likey
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

Another alternative is Seadek. It is somewhat cushioned. Does not look like teak, so if you want the teak look, this would not work. They can put designs in it and it has pressure sensitive adhesive on the back so you just clean the deck and stick it down.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I put Shaw Vinyl Locking Plank florring in my 10 meter. It is a floating fllor, I attached it at the perimeters with carpet tape. It looks great, is easy to install, and will not be affected by water or other liquids. It comes in many styles including Teak. Can be bought at Lowes.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

Flyboy wrote:I put Shaw Vinyl Locking Plank florring in my 10 meter. It is a floating fllor, I attached it at the perimeters with carpet tape. It looks great, is easy to install, and will not be affected by water or other liquids. It comes in many styles including Teak. Can be bought at Lowes.

I have used that in the cabin of other boats I've owned and I will likely do the same in this cabin. You used that in the cockpit and rear deck? That's where I'm looking at using the stuff I mentioned above.
Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I would LOVE to do the interior cabin in my express like that.

The problems are the curved steps and the floor hatches.

How do you deal with those?

Photos?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
brandonwbn

Post by brandonwbn »

RWS wrote:I would LOVE to do the interior cabin in my express like that.

The problems are the curved steps and the floor hatches.

How do you deal with those?

Photos?

RWS
The stuff im interested in can be cut and bound like carpet.
Brandon
Washington, Michigan
Lake St. Clair
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

brandonwbn wrote:..... Infinity Fabrics http://infinityfabricsllc.com/.
Has anyone used this material? How does it feel? Appearance? Durability? ...
"adrewoh" had posted a link to chilewich.com which has a similar product. If I recall, he had used it for interior floor and wall coverings. He may be able to provide some insight.
http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ich#p88775
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

comodave wrote:Another alternative is Seadek. It is somewhat cushioned. Does not look like teak, so if you want the teak look, this would not work. They can put designs in it and it has pressure sensitive adhesive on the back so you just clean the deck and stick it down.
They do have a teak plank design available but it's not a product that you would use if you want as close to a real teak look as possible as it's very apparent that it's not but neither is Infinity Fabrics' products. It does however not get as hot as products like NuTeak because it is more of a high density foam type material. I've installed it for someone and it still looks good but it's only been one season. Apparently it has to be replaced every several years depending on use. The biggest headache is the wait for production, poor communication, and screw ups...such a pain, and don't know that I will ever recommend it again because of that. If you're just ordering a sheet to cut yourself, no big deal but if you're getting them to cut you a complex pattern with boarders as you would in a teak plank layout, be prepared to wait for months. The product has taken off with OEMs and I think Seadek is just ill prepared for the volume so the little guy's single order is constanly pushed back. Don't know if things there have changed but I still see poor customer service related issues on the web. Until I know for sure that they've made big changes, there's know way I'd use them again as it was multiple screw ups and excuses from beginning to end. It's unfortunate as there are some really good uses for it.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

Brandon, sent you a PM
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Big D wrote:
comodave wrote:Another alternative is Seadek. It is somewhat cushioned. Does not look like teak, so if you want the teak look, this would not work. They can put designs in it and it has pressure sensitive adhesive on the back so you just clean the deck and stick it down.
They do have a teak plank design available but it's not a product that you would use if you want as close to a real teak look as possible as it's very apparent that it's not but neither is Infinity Fabrics' products. It does however not get as hot as products like NuTeak because it is more of a high density foam type material. I've installed it for someone and it still looks good but it's only been one season. Apparently it has to be replaced every several years depending on use. The biggest headache is the wait for production, poor communication, and screw ups...such a pain, and don't know that I will ever recommend it again because of that. If you're just ordering a sheet to cut yourself, no big deal but if you're getting them to cut you a complex pattern with boarders as you would in a teak plank layout, be prepared to wait for months. The product has taken off with OEMs and I think Seadek is just ill prepared for the volume so the little guy's single order is constanly pushed back. Don't know if things there have changed but I still see poor customer service related issues on the web. Until I know for sure that they've made big changes, there's know way I'd use them again as it was multiple screw ups and excuses from beginning to end. It's unfortunate as there are some really good uses for it.
Unfortunately, I have had similar experiences with SeaDek. Nice product, very poor customer service.