New Trojan Owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dante D

New Trojan Owner

Post by Dante D »

hello all
I recently purchased my new used project,
1978 flybridge 28

needs a little work, but not new to this. can someone confirm the hull Id numbers for me?

the boat was sold to me as a 30 ft, but the title says 28 here are the numbers TRJ081970378
the boat is beamy,, at over 12 and has typical layout, I plan on posting some pics, but the layout is as follows
cockpit is very large, as I mentioned at approx 12 ft,
directly in front is a door to the cabin, with fold down ladder to port
the ladder folds up to the bridge
the bridge is large with captains seat center and bench seat ahead of captains station, for two to three, then a passenger seat to starboard of the captains chair

In the cabin you enter to a large Salon with galley to port , then step down to the head to starboard, then of course the v berth
to starboard is another helm
to the right of the helm is the power locker which also houses the stero etc,
thanks and hope I can get an idea of exactly what model it is
comodave
Moderate User

Re: New Trojan Owner

Post by comodave »

The HIN does not contain the model number, just month, year and serial number along with the manufacturer. The model is usually on a metal plate by the helm or electrical panel. If you contact Beacon Marine, they can give you everything about your particular boat, includiing an original owners manual.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to Trojan boats , If you look at the transom you will find 3 digit number after the number you posted this should id the model . Also there maybe a plate in the boat with model number 6 or 7 digit ; Post these I can ID it or a Photo could help also but the 78 F28 and F30 look a lot a like .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

ok, Ill try to find those numbers today
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Look on the right side of the transom
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

I took a quick look at the placard in my electrical locker, and looks like the first three numbers are 280 , I didnt have a pen or paper with me, so I couldnt write the rest, but I guess she is a 28,
Amazing size for a 28 ft boat, I measured it with a tape measure and seems it measures 30 ft? whats up with that,,,lol
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You have a F28 Nice boat

" F28 TWIN SCREW MODEL 280 "
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

My 10 Meter is listed at 33 feet but is really closer to 39 foot. I use it to my advantage when I pay for a haul out or overnight stay where I am charged by the length of my boat. When I had my bottom painted they just pulled out a price sheet and charged me for 33 feet not accounting for the 13 foot beam. But when someone comes up to me and ask me the length of my boat I tell them 39 feet.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

here is the boat I just rescued,, looks worse than it is. When you shop for a boat like this you have to train your eyes to look past all the mold , dirt etc to see the full beauty of what can be done with just a few days of elbow grease and bleach. (already on my 5th gallon of tropical scented bleach, LOL) Already cleaned it up and looks much better than this picture. This monday the port engine will be installed.
I already have the starboard up and running perfectly,

the pictures were taken at the dock that I purchased the boat, about 4 hours from my home by water,, you had to see this place to believe it, It made me nervous just standing on what they called a dock,,lol and ya gotta love the a/c unit hanging out the window. Amazes me how someone can let a magnificent boat like this go like this. The one good thing is that it has not been butchered up , its all original inside with very few holes etc drilled all over like some boats. Most of it is just clean up and and some cosmetic stripe work. To clean the head I needed to put on a Bio-waste suit. It was that bad. Stay tuned for some updated pictures of what she looks like now, Im going to take some later at my dock
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

here is the boat I just rescued,, looks worse than it is. When you shop for a boat like this you have to train your eyes to look past all the mold , dirt etc to see the full beauty of what can be done with just a few days of elbow grease and bleach.

Ha, I have one of those too, not the model, but a big cleaning project.
You really need the ability to see the future when you buy a project. :)
Good luck
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Was the boat holding the dock up ? Looks like the owner was not the best at keeping up things . With that said The Boat looks to little Damage With some clean up it will look good , nice lines .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

Im telling you it was an amazing dock to say the least. Its hard for me to understand how someone can let something go so far. The owner of the boat was not the same guy that owns the property that it was docked at. Actually the owner is a pretty good guy, he had a streak of bad luck with his health and let the boat go afterwards. I just came in from working on it now and Im happy to say it now has steering. Seems the Teleflex steering setup works fine. I had to repair a small crack in the reservoir at the helm, and flush it out a few times, but its working fine at the moment.
I was able to get most of the systems up and running with the exception of a couple that can wait, like the horns, spot lights , things like that,
I motored the boat this morning on the one engine after I repaired the steering system and, with the exception of it not having an engine on the port side, did pretty well, lol.
well more info to follow,
thanks again