10 meter sedan help

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Trojan dream boat

10 meter sedan help

Post by Trojan dream boat »

Just got my dream boat since I was 12 years old, always wanted a trojan 10-11 meter. From boat shows as a kid to our marina on Cape Cod where Trojan was sold. So my dream boat happens to be a 1985 sedan project boat. Needs lots of love which I have, but more importantly parts. It was sitting at a marina for a few years and was a victim of pirates " parts taken" and neglect. Would love to find a Bimini top, interior sofa, front hatch, also rear Bimini top over cockpit , frame is there no top. Factory bed foam for island bed. Many other things as well. Just these are at the top of wish list. Color is the maroon variety but open to all for templets. It's a large under taking, would love to buy new but now used to get up and going then new over time. Located in ct but willing to travel north east. New member and new boat ! Thank you all in advance, very excited for my dream boat!
Last edited by Trojan dream boat on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trojan dream boat

Re: 10 meter sedan help

Sorry, don't know why it posted twice. Pilot error I guess
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the forum
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Trojan dream boat

Thank you ! Love to see this site, full of info and people who love Trojans!
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Welcome! I was exactly where you are one year ago. I bought my 85 10 meter sedan out of a farmers field on Craigslist.
According to the survey that I fell for that the previous owner had recently had done apparently as a 4th grade class project, she was in awesome shape! The big things for me were that she had a solid hull and low hour engines. The rest could be fixed. I've spent a year every weekend weeding through one issue after another, and in some sick way seem to enjoy it. More than once I've come limping back in on one engine or the other for whole new reasons each time. It is getting much better though!
There is a wealth of great information on here. I've learned a tremendous amount from Yorklyn's complete start over remodel of his boat. Find page one and read all of it.
I've pretty much documented the progression of mine in pictures and what I've had to go through.
Spend the $180 or $200 bucks whatever it is and have Bob at Beacon Marine rebuild all of your original paperwork.
Buy a Crusader shop manual, and download the free Onan generator manuals. Most importantly know what everything is, why it's there, and how it does it. All of it at one time can be pretty intimidating. Take one bite at a time.
I in no way claim to be an expert on anything, but I'll be happy to share what I've been through to help in any way that I can. If anything, as an example of what NOT to do and to provide some moral support to not give up.
We keep our boat on what some might call a snooty lake where everyone has a new SeaRay or Formula.
I love pulling into a cove with my cool old 10 meter and have the real boat guys appreciate it for what it is and comment on it. I think they're a timeless classic and I appreciate mine more and more every day.
Send me a PM and I'll send some pics as to how ours has progressed.
Landlocked

Post by Landlocked »

About 20 years ago I bought a Bimini for my 11 Meter Sedan from Gioia Sails in New Jersey. At that time they had the pattern for it. They may have one for your boat. My boat lives under roof but 20 years later my top is still in good shape.
Lake boaters skip the salt...
1985 11 Meter Sedan
1972 Newman Bassboat
1990 Cyclone Jetboat
1957 Fiberglass Barracuda (Olds 425 cubic Inch, Edelbrock)
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Congrats on the boat and welcome to the Forum. I'll keep an eye out for some of that stuff locally (Delaware).
if your front hatch is like the one on my 10 meter it should just be 1/2 lexan. if so its easy to make a new one. i replaced both of my skylights with lexan I got online and they turned out great.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Congratulations and welcome! Turning a childhood dream into a reality is awesome (did the same thing - and I think I was 12 when Dad bought!).

Covers (bimini and cockpit) tend to be custom jobs - just pick a reputable marine canvas shop nearby and they will measure / make templates / custom design / build whatever you want. Make sure the shop is reputable -- I would be happy to shoot 80% of the shops I or anyone else in my marina has ever dealt with (don't know what it is .. but canvas guys in my area just can't be trusted - either the job is crap, or it takes them 2 years to get to it).

Beacon Marine may have original hatches available, and the Sofa -- Bob's your uncle (department store loveseat or setee, or custom made as a couple of folks on the forum have done and posted about... don't worry about original - just find something that works for you. Depending on family situation or entertaining plans, something small with a pullout bed might be the right thing).

Forget about factory foam for the berth - find something more comfortable and have the upholstery work done for a few bucks.
Trojan dream boat

This site is amazing! Thank you all for the replies. Been talking to Drafter all day with his project 10 meter who had beautiful results. Yorklyn, my sister lives in Alexandria so if you find something please let me know, it would warrant a visit to see her. I do have the frame for the Bimini , would love to find a used one to purchase if anyone upgrades or might do what Drafter said and have custom made I will need new tracks for side windows so a call to Beacon will be in order along with my donation to this site, from what I've learned so for from all of you and this site thus far is priceless .....

I learned of this site from a local craigslist post looking for parts, some one emailed me and told me. I can't thank them enough.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Frames for a Bimini are the a small part of the cost. The custom canvas and all the related sewing to fit those frames is where the real money goes. If someone can make new canvas for your existing pipes at a low cost, go for it. Otherwise, have them do the whole thing. If they do frames AND canvas, there is only one person to blame if it's not 100% perfect.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Trojan dream boat wrote:This site is amazing! Thank you all for the replies. Been talking to Drafter all day with his project 10 meter who had beautiful results. Yorklyn, my sister lives in Alexandria so if you find something please let me know, it would warrant a visit to see her. I do have the frame for the Bimini , would love to find a used one to purchase if anyone upgrades or might do what Drafter said and have custom made I will need new tracks for side windows so a call to Beacon will be in order along with my donation to this site, from what I've learned so for from all of you and this site thus far is priceless .....

I learned of this site from a local craigslist post looking for parts, some one emailed me and told me. I can't thank them enough.

Its like factory support only better by far :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D