Trojan 321 without strainers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RichSchink

Trojan 321 without strainers

Post by RichSchink »

My 1974 F-32 does not have raw water strainers installed. I am totally new to inboard engine boating. Can someone post a pic of where they
are installed. It seems that there is not a lot of room between the seacock & where the 1.25" hose loops around & comes into the pump.
Attachments
IMG_20150328_141353 (Small).jpg
IMG_20150328_141353 (Small).jpg (72.1 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
1974 F 32 Sedan "Debra Lee"
gettaway
Active User

Re: Trojan 321 without strainers

Post by gettaway »

I don't think many Trojan boats came with strainers, or they were an option. Our F-32 did not have strainers either, but it did nave the bronze screen on the through hull intakes
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It could have been a option . Mine are the scoop type and were added on .They are similar to the pick below .
Attachments
rectanularscoopstrainer.jpg
rectanularscoopstrainer.jpg (1.92 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I boat in Long Island sound and my boat has them. I wouldn't install them if it didn't though. The intakes with the slots seem to do a good job. i clean the stainers once a season but there's hardly anything and could probably go two seasons or more.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

My '85 tricabin does not have them. When I did my first round of hull work, I replaced the factory slotted unable-to-clean-because-they-are screwed-into-the-seacock scoops with ones similar to what Prowlersfish posted. Mine have doors on them so that they can be cleaned. I recall reading that the holes do a better job than the slots of keeping grass out. I installed my engine scoops pointed about 12 degrees toward the keel, not straight fore and aft.

My generator intake (shown in the picture) is round, not scooped. See about the tenth picture in this thread: http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ter#p87107 (the one with the boat stand in it).

Funny thing is, my A/C intake does have a strainer.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

My 10 meter has them but were bypassed years ago by someone who inadvetably forgot to drain them for winter and the glass is broken out of all of them. I'm fairly certain that they were a factory upgrade option. I've really struggled with restoring them to duty or just getting rid of them all together. They're hugely in the way of front of the engines access. I boat in a relatively clear freshwater lake and stay in deep water. I have slotted intakes, but I guess something could get through to wreak havoc. I would sure like to know how many on this forum use them and how many don't.
I guess they are pretty nice insurance.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Ive had 3 F32s, My 73 had them (still does but sold the boat to a friend, I'll try and get a pic, their mounted forward the motors on the plywood wall), my 79 did not and I have a 74 that does not but the previous owner game me one, not two, I may add them, I boat in shallow water often