Dingy advise, hydrofoil?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Dingy advise, hydrofoil?

Post by K4282 »

This is slightly off topic from a Trojan although I assume many if not all of you have a tender of some sort. I have a 12ft Achilles hard bottom inflatable, center console with a 30hp 2 stroke, its super fast and fun to play with, I take it 15 miles out and more on a regular basis. I'm looking for opinions and reviews and the people here have been very intelligent and helpful. The reviews im reading on hydrofoils/whale tail vary on application. I'm reading lots of various reviews and the claim to fame is that they help with porpoising and help plane off faster and at lower rpms, everyone suggest smart tabs and so on but that's not really a option on a inflatable. Im looking to keep the bow from jumping in addition to looking to gain top speed which this will not really do, I;m going to try some different props but maybe i should start here and then go for higher speeds, im reaching speeds in the high 30's currently
LandVF36
Moderate User

Re: Dingy advise, hydrofoil?

Post by LandVF36 »

I've used them on small stearn heavy craft (I think I was the reason it was stearn heavy) that were a little under-powered. They help raise the back of the boat, thrusting the bow down, helping you get on plane faster. The drawback is that they do so at the expense of top speed. I think the reason is two part 1) more drag below the water line 3) you are always pushing the bow down... if you trim up once on plane to counter-act the effect of the foil, you are directing the thrust energy in a direction that is not 100% forward. If you want more speed AND a better hole shot, I think the only answer is more HP.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

the more im reading and learning seems to tell that they can create drag once underway, depending on situations, my dingy doesn't have electric trim unfortunately and due to emissions they don't really make any more 2 strokes much over 30hp do they? The weight of the new four strokes is incredibly higher. I'm thinking the only only way to tell is see if my cavitation plate shows or not while planned off, ill defiantly need a second person to steer, the boat is light and fast and too scary to lean over at 36 mph to look down alone. Out of the hole I have tons of power but the bow bounces all over, often times if felt like I could flip it over from a stand still if I just got on it. Theirs a dingy Poker Run coming soon and I want to race in it, im going to figure this out and see how I do
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

The dinghy I really want isn't yet available in the US. Check out OC Tenders at OCTenders.com. Very well designed and fast. Scary fast with only 15hp.
The hull is 9'11" and weighs only 92 lbs. Unlike RIBs, the entire footprint of the hull is usable space. Pricing is 4500NZ, which is $2940 US...cheaper than many 10 foot RIBs. This design should put RIBs out of business , IMO.

See for yourself.

1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI