85 10 meter international

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

MADSIERRA

85 10 meter international

Post by MADSIERRA »

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to Trojan boats. i am going to look at a 85 10 meter international with twin 454's. boat is a great lakes boat and always in fresh water with about 2400 hrs on engines. most hrs are from trolling seeds for fishing which is what I will be using boat for mainly. From people I have talked to about the boat they say it is in top shape and shows as well as most boats 20yrs newer. It is owned by a guy who is very meticulous and is someone who would fix any trouble the boat mite have asap and top quality work. from the pictures it looks amazing. many new and upgraded parts and equiptment...including top, interior, electronics and so forth. I have owned many boats and know the general things to look for on all boats. MY question is are there "things" I should look for that are potential troubles for 10 meters?...I know most makes of boats all have there trouble spots and just was looking for help as what I should look for on a 10 meter Trojan. Thanks for any help in advance.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: 85 10 meter international

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Is it Mid Cabin or Express? Express have woodless stringers, whereas the mids have laminated wood. As good as the Crusader 454's are, you are nearing the end if their service life at 2400 hours. Where in NY is this boat? Is this in Sodus?
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I have a 90 mid cabin and here is what I looked for when purchasing the boat.

These boats (Mid cabin and Express) sit bow down when at rest and like most inboard boats always have a little water in the bilge. There is a bulkhead that separates the engine room for the Salon. Check that bulkhead for moisture and rot. Don't be afraid to pound on it with a hammer or pick at it with an awl or ice pick

If it is a Mid Cabin it has wood stringers and if the limber holes were not done properly or well maintained over the years you will have moisture that got inside of the lamination and into the wood. Check for moisture and bang on them.

Check all stringers and cross members especially those in rear of engine room to make sure lamination is still goo and no rot exists.

Check areas around port holes and all other top side penetrations for moisture. (Stanchions for bow rail, cleats etc...)

Check the Radar arch to see if it is water tight. This is Balsa cored and can become weak if water has been allowed in over time

GET A SURVEY before you move forward and make sure that it includes a compression test and if the boat is on Lake Michigan pull a hose or two from exhaust manifolds to see how many Zebra muscles have made it into the block

I'm sure others will chime in but your goal should be to find a structurally strong boat because you cant beat a 10 meter for the amount of room or ride you get unless you are moving up to an 11 or 12 meter :)

The Meter boats are not fast but they are VERY thirsty but if you have the Vision that RWS had an repower with Diesels and strong hull and stringers you can run the boat for another 30 years

Good Luck in your search

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

GET THE SURVEY !!!

meanwhile, check this out . . .

http://trojanboat.com/

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Thanks for the Info so far...going to get a survey done for sure. the boat is a express so It does have the wood less stringers. are you sure the there would be a issue with the hours even if probable close to 2000 of them are at trolling speed less than 3mph's? thanks
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

A compression test will tell the true situation.

Crusaders are good engines, however it really depends on how they were used and maintained.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Have a guy in Rocester area that is going to do survey as soon as we can get together with owner. They do appear to be great boats if you find a good one.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

MADSIERRA wrote:Have a guy in Rocester area that is going to do survey as soon as we can get together with owner. They do appear to be great boats if you find a good one.
Be aware - survey and mechanical inspection are two different things. A surveyor will look for structural defects, moisture, and 'code' or 'regulations' issues (wiring, plumbing, fuel systems, etc). Only a mechanical inspection by a marine mechanic will tell you what conditions the engines and other mechanicals are in. A surveyor could pass a sound hull with totally toasted engines.
Breezy 1

Post by Breezy 1 »

My 1983 10 meter Crusader powered 454's had 13,280 hours when I re powered it .. They were still running fine just getting tired..It's all about how it was ran when not trolling and preventative maintenance.
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing
http://www.breezy1charters.com
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Breezy 1 wrote:My 1983 10 meter Crusader powered 454's had 13,280 hours when I re powered it .. They were still running fine just getting tired..It's all about how it was ran when not trolling and preventative maintenance.
Holy crap. I've never seen that many hours on a Gasser. That would be good for a diesel. What's your secret maintenance tips.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Crazy Yankee

Post by Crazy Yankee »

Breezy 1 wrote:My 1983 10 meter Crusader powered 454's had 13,280 hours when I re powered it .. They were still running fine just getting tired..It's all about how it was ran when not trolling and preventative maintenance.
I know a lot of charter guys who have gotten 8,000-12,000 hours on those 454's. 2400 isn't a lot! Mine are at 3,000 right now and they compression check well. It's all in how it's maintained, and treated.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Express

Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Wow....that many hours would be nice!....
Crazy Yankee...i sent you a PM. thanks
Breezy 1

Post by Breezy 1 »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:
Holy crap. I've never seen that many hours on a Gasser. That would be good for a diesel. What's your secret maintenance tips.
Most charters here easily get 8,000 plus out of gassers. Most hours are trolling so at idle speed. I never except once a year ran the boat past 2700 rpm's. Oil change every 100 hours, did transmissions at same time, fuel filters twice a year. One thing my father said to me years ago and I live by the saying is "your motors have so many rpm's in their life how fast you want to use them up is up to you."
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing
Breezy 1

Post by Breezy 1 »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:
Most charters here easily get 8,000 plus out of gassers. Most hours are trolling so at idle speed. I never except once a year ran the boat past 2700 rpm's. Oil change every 100 hours, did transmissions at same time, fuel filters twice a year. Transmissions still going strong with over 16,000 hours and never rebuilt. One thing my father said to me years ago and I live by the saying is "your motors have so many rpm's in their life how fast you want to use them up is up to you."
Capt. Shawn
Breezy 1 Sportfishing