1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mobile diver

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by mobile diver »

Boat looks great. I am sure it was nice to finally enjoy it. Transmission OK?
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks! I was nice to see her floating again. Still not sure exactly what wrong ,if anything, with the tranny. Will be checking that I have spark at all 8 cylinders and confirm that the plug wires are run correctly. I also need to raise the engine idle up a bit and hopefully that will help.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Ok, I am officiaaly jealous.... And would now consider you basically the man to go to. I am in the process of doing some cosmetic work on my 11 meter, and the gelcoat is, lets say a bit tired. No matter how much I rub it out, I cannot get the gleam I am looking for. And, the gelcoat actually absorbs stains and a pain to clean. So, was wondering what you did to get your hull looking like that? I read quite a bit (but not all) of your journey, and could not find what you did with the hull. Painted it? And with what? Hoping mine looks at least half as good as yours! You can be proud of yourself for an awesome undertaking, and very successful final product.

I know a lot of us are ( and a bit jealous too) :lol:
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Jimmy,
I actually painted my boat with awlgrip. I would recommend getting a quality buffer. I have a $200 porter cable version of this one
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849X-7- ... B004W1WGIC
I have used the crap out of mine, its expensive but well worth the money. you need one that you can turn down low to a few hundred rpms.
I would highly recommend using the 3m "perfect it" system. we just did it on my friends boat with great results. if my memory is correct I believe you start with perfect it compound, then finesse-it finishing glaze then two coats of 3m ultra paste wax.
once you get it shining again the upkeep is fairly easy with a coat of 3m liquid wax when needed.
with some effort I have no doubt that you can get that gel coat looking great again.
don't be jealous because I had to learn and teach myself to do just about everything I did to my boat and I'm sure you can do the same. spend a little time online doing research .
Best of luck !
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Depending on how faded you are, you might have to start with the 3m super duty compound, and then follow up with finesse it. The recommended procedure is to do 2 coats of Polish, and then 2-3 coats of wax. I recommend Collinite fleet paste wax. I think its 885. You cannot let it dry before removing, and takes practice, but mine had held up for 3 years so far. Great stuff once its on. It will shine. Trust me. Just takes some elbow grease. Painting is a HUGE undertaking.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Id rather not paint, that is for sure. Where did you get the polishing compunds/buffers/perfect fit? Im sure I can google it. I'm not afraid of the elbow grease, just dont want to use a lot of it with poor results. I'll do some shopping. Thanks for the info! Hope you are enjoying your boat!

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Jimmy wrote:Id rather not paint, that is for sure. Where did you get the polishing compunds/buffers/perfect fit? Im sure I can google it. I'm not afraid of the elbow grease, just dont want to use a lot of it with poor results. I'll do some shopping. Thanks for the info! Hope you are enjoying your boat!
Best place to go is an automotive refinishing store. They will have everything you need. As Todd said, a good buffer is a great investment. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. Porter Cable is top of the line. Take your time and do a small area. The buffer should be adjustable speeds, so you start very slow with the compound. As it starts to cut and disappear, you increase the speed of the buffer. The polish is easy to apply and take off. This is your base layer of protection, and will seal any fine scratches. The Fleet wax is a pain in the ass. The key to success is to only put on in a very limited area and buff AS SOON as it looks hazy. If you leave it too long, you will be swearing like a sailor, as it is huge work to get it off. It by far lasts longer and shines brighter than any other wax in my opinion. I always get comments on how well it holds up to the nasty water in our bay.

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

A few years ago, I researched buffers and ended up with a Makita based on many recommendations: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKE ... WF1EZN9TVW

It has done well for me, though a year ago, I bought a Porter Cable orbital polisher for smaller areas and more delicate work, especially on my cars.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't want to sound like a --bleep--, but have never resorted to a buffer. That's a lie -- I picked up a random orbital buffer from Canadian Tire in the mid 90's for my previous boat, and used it for 2-3 years on the Trojan. On the prior boat (1987 Four Winns Liberator 261) found I was cutting through the gel and exposing raw fiberglass on the deck. On the F32 hull, found it just left swirls and other crap I didn't like due to inconsistent application of polish / changing temperatures / etc, and couldn't get a consistent result from it. Have been manually polishing and waxing hull sides and superstructure ever since (maybe 2003 and beyond). I stick with Meguiars' products - 2 hours a side for polish and wax each, for some reason transom takes 2 hours plus even though it is much smaller, and potentially adding StarBrite Premium Polish with PTEF (Teflon).

The gel on this vintage of Trojan is AWESOME, and INCREDIBLE - I can do a manual polish and wax in the spring, and have such incredible reflection that yard workers just POP in launch photos. I have seen pictures from BJ and others that testify to how incredible this gel is.
IMG_6409 - shrunk.jpg
IMG_6409 - shrunk.jpg (179.11 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
What I have is 35 years old, but don't doubt that some day I will need to get more aggressive with the gel, so hoping that the latest subject of this thread tells me what the most beneficial, but least damaging, buffer and polish combination will be.
Attachments
Temp Boat Picture.jpg
Temp Boat Picture.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Lol, well that was my problem... I was looking at marina suppliers.... Not finding what I was looking for. Ill hit up some automotive supply shops for the goods. I do have a very good buffer that has variable speeds that should work well. I did try a redish color heavy 3M rubbing coumpound to try to cut the worst areas. All it did was stain the gel (rubbed by hand in test area). Very frustrating. The pics look awesome of the hulls, and is what I am looking for. My 28 foot century (1980) has a great gel but is always stored inside and I have always kept up with the wax. But this is a new level of polishing.....

Years ago I buffed out some badly faded cars with a 3M buffing coumpound. We would put it on the wheel, buff slowly until it started to dry, then up the rpms until it looked like glass. Was not sure this would work on fiberglass, but sounds exactly the same as what you are suggesting. Cant wait to give it a try. Ill post results.

BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I have had great luck with a product called "Buff Magic" it starts out as a heavier grit compound and as it heats up it gets less abrasive. Easy to work with and usually provides amazing results. It's not cheap but well worth the price based on how it performs.

Good luck with the polishing.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i've been cutting, polishing and waxing for the last 2 wks on my aftcabin boat, lots of work, now for the fun part below the rubrail while in the water, but i did get the wife to put the extra coats of wax on there for me, dont know yet what this is going to cost me.
i have been using a variable speed with meguires 105 cutting, then #7 polish and then #26 yellow wax and i am very very pleased with this so thumbs up to meguires products also.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

I picked up the finese coumpounds and tried just a small spot on the transom. If really looked good but daylight was faiding fast. I think due to the level of oxidization, I may have to use some heavier compound first prior to the lighter coumpound and polish. I was not yet able to find the fleet wax, and since I am not good at swearing, Im not to sorry I have not tried it yet. Lol. Ill try to send some before and after photos.

I also picked up the foam pad for the buffer. Have not used one before, only the wool pads. Does the foam pad work better with the compond, or polish?

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Use the wool for the compounds. The foam is good for the waxes.

bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

If its oxidized in a bad way (rough and chalky) don't be afraid to wet sand. Get yourself a random orbital sander and 1000 grit, then follow up with a polish and wax.

It took me two passes with 1000 grit, 3 passes with Meguiars #91, then finished with Klasse All-in-One.