Trifly aft "stateroom" cushion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Trifly aft "stateroom" cushion

Post by Misty »

Hi guys,

Trying and flying here. Figuring out the aft filler cushion config is a challenge though. The PO supplied me with a cushion, but no "board"(what she called it) to span the walkway between the twins in the aft stateroom. Can anyone explain if this is a normal or custom config, how it works, and possible improvements?(PO described it as least comfy bed ever)
Attachments
Trojan F36 Tri Cabin, Thousand Islands, NY.jpg
Trojan F36 Tri Cabin, Thousand Islands, NY.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: Trifly aft "stateroom" cushion

Post by Barrie »

I would like to help here, but mine was also missing.
I am curios how this would be accomplished, I don't remember there being a ledge or any form of bracket for it to sit on.
Last edited by Barrie on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Yeah, it just doesn't add up. But before we make something new its nice to know what the original plan was!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Wait for Aaron... as our resident TriCab guru he will most likely have the answer.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I am confused, is the "trifly" the same as the "tri-cabin'? My tri cab has a full bed in the owners suite.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

larryeddington wrote:I am confused, is the "trifly" the same as the "tri-cabin'? My tri cab has a full bed in the owners suite.
Tri Cabin and Tri-Fly are different layouts and superstructure designs, built on the same hull. The tricabin essentially has a raised mid cabin (salon area), with lowered forward and aft sleeping quarters (as you know); with only a single steering station - up top. The Tri-Fly is a 'flybridge version' of that, where the salon design incorporates a second helm station. And then the upper deck has a second steering station.

Here is a tricabin : http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... kgodNIEEmA

Here is a tri-fly : http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... kgodNIEEmA

The layout Misty posted looks more like a normal tricabin layout than a trifly. The layout for the tricabin also evolved over the years (credit : PowerBoat Guide). By the way : built from 1970 - 1987.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (178.85 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

thanks, got it clear now. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Mine is the layout I posted. Engines under each aft bunk w V drives and NOT under the salon floor. There are a few online that customize this to some sort of super king size, but Id like a thoroughfare. May have to pull the trim and put my designers hat on. Stand back if that happens... My vision: A "Tricushion?"
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Hey Misty, my tri fly has the same layout as the picture you posted, with the exception mine has a steering station at the "L" shaped sofa in the salon
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Surprised Aaron hasn't landed yet.

If it helps in the meantime, based on my F32... for V-berth there is a 1/2 - 3/4" 'shelf' around the edge of the vberth opening that the filler panel sits on.

You can see a little bit here (apparently this is the URL for the ad, not just the pic I wanted...) https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 0519080773) .

In the dinette, there are legs that the table top sits on to convert to a berth, as shown here (again the URL for the ad, not just he pic I wanted.... https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 0627151383).

Don't know which of the two are most likely to align with your aft cabin setup, but thinking the first is more likely.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

HERE I AM.............. sorry fellas. it's been a while. i'll explain later. the aft engined tri cabins NEVER had a filler between bunks. the gap is just too big. of course, you could modify something, but it would need to be supported in the center of the filler. then again, we are masters of customizing, so, the the options and ideas are limitless..............
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Agree with Aaron but wasn't confident enough to say as much. I sold my Tricabin two months ago and bought another Trojan but my former '74 Tricabin (had it for 16 yrs) was also a V-drive arrangement and therefore like Aaron has indicated, there was no filler pad.

But, I widened the port side berth by ten inches by having a carpenter build it out into the space between the two berths.

Secondly, I removed the hollow, partition that was stock on the outside wall of the berth (thus losing the shelf) - this increased the berth size by another ten inches.
(I installed a new teak section right next to the fibreglass interior freeboard)

All in all, after getting a custom mattress made (and paying too much for it) we had ourselves a pretty big, comfortable berth.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Wondering if you could borrow off the ideas of how the dinette is converted to a double berth on most of the older Trojans, or how the v-berth fills in? Aaron says the gap between the berths is just too big, but how wide is it?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Captain, I believe it could be done. I think that a section of 3/4 in plywood with a cushion affixed, could be made to fit in that space if resting on side supports . This section could then be popped out and stored on top of one of the bunks during the daytime hours, thus allowing for access as a passageway and also for checking the engines.

The issue would be getting into bed or getting out, as there would be no side access. It would be similar to getting out of bed at home by climbing over top of your own pillows. Sort of unnatural, but doable I guess.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Thanks guys!(especially Aaron!) What I have is just the cushion and not the board as forensics evidence. When you enlarged the one berth what happened to the walkway? Or do you mean you got the 10" from eliminating the shelf? Ill have to think about that! :shock: