larger fridge in f36 tri fly

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Re: larger fridge in f36 tri fly

Post by aaronbocknek »

Longshanks wrote:Thankyou Horhay...that helps.

Based on all the comments i guess i will resort to two small fridges.
And as a sidenote and a subjective observation ... the f36 design SUCKS!!! (for the 76 design the manufacturer really screwed up ).

on the 1972 tri cabin that i grew up with we had the small 7cu foot MARVEL fridge die in the late 1980's. dad removed it by, yep....the sawsall and then removed the door trim from the aft cabin door and removing the door from the salon to the aft cabin. he also took the door off the new smaller fridge. had a frame made for the new one and it was good as new. the trojan f-36 tri cabin design does not suck. it was very popular and had a good run for trojan with several variations. removing the center hatch in the salon for the mid engine versions is usually the way to go. ONE THING you have to understand. trojan never EVER thought these vessels would be around and LOVED 30-40 years after production. we, as trustees of these icons, just need to do the best we can in bringing them back to livable standards.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

What type of sealant do they use around the cabin hatch. I have one and will have to take it out to put frig in.

Hope all is going well Aaron. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

larryeddington wrote:What type of sealant do they use around the cabin hatch. I have one and will have to take it out to put frig in.

Hope all is going well Aaron. :)
hi larry. i'm not sure what type of sealant is used for the exterior seal. hopefully perry will see this thread and chime in as he's had his hatch removed several times in the last year. the hatch rests on a 'lip' or ledge and is then screwed secure from the inside. trojan, and i think the mechanic who did perry's, used butyl tape on the ledge to add an extra barrier of waterproofing. i don't think the actual hatch weighs that much. it's just awkward. one thing i will do when it comes time for me to swap out my fridge is fabricate a frame around the removal hatch and install a solid piece of headliner glued onto wood and mount it in case i need to do it again. i hate fussing with the headliner. heck, i may add some modular wiring along with some LED spotlights for extra cabin lighting. if you can, drop perry an email and ask. we all want to know.
doing okay. my days are like sign waves, not two are alike. i can feel amazingly okay one day, then feel like i've been dragged across the street the next. besides the hair loss in one day, (hey, it's COLD with a bald head) the fatigue and lack of appetite are two things i'm currently fighting but brad is making sure i eat at least something, even if it's a small bottle of boost nutritional supplement. thanks for asking. appreciate it.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Hi Aaron,

Which perry should I ask about the sealer? Someone a while back posted pic on here what the hatch looks like from below and exposed. You know that might not be a bad idea framing it and just covering that However the only time needed is for frig and dares say engine removal. Hope I am not alerting the engine gods to make mine go south. LOL

By the way my son and I have re-plumed both toilet systems and new toilets and new black water tank, rebuilt two transfer macerator pumps and have water systems working properly.

Thanks Larry
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hang in there, Aaron.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

larryeddington wrote:Hi Aaron,

Which perry should I ask about the sealer? Someone a while back posted pic on here what the hatch looks like from below and exposed. You know that might not be a bad idea framing it and just covering that However the only time needed is for frig and dares say engine removal. Hope I am not alerting the engine gods to make mine go south. LOL

By the way my son and I have re-plumed both toilet systems and new toilets and new black water tank, rebuilt two transfer macerator pumps and have water systems working properly.

Thanks Larry
his screen name on here is P-DOGG. he posted something on page 1 of this thread. when he had his hatch removed last summer, my brother and i wandered over to the boat yard so i could see what it looked like and how it was mounted. i've wanted to frame that area since the day i bought the boat. again, 'just in case', and as a retrofit for more cabin lighting. all that's really needed are some strips of wood to frame the cut out and have the 'cover' fabricated. glad to hear you have the sewage system redone and up and running. that's also on my 'to do list'. if i ever did a retrofit, the new refrigerator system would consist of an 'over/under' fridge freezer unit to not only gain counter space....brad requires LOTS AND LOTS of counter space when he's creating his culinary specialties onboard.....but to access the panel BEHIND the fridge. that's where all the wires and cables run from below decks to the bridge. i'd like to add a 110v outlet up there and maybe run some duct work for ac/heat.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

rickalan35 wrote:Hang in there, Aaron.
doing what i can. brad has been amazing through this and is making sure i'm in a comfortable, safe and healing environment. sleep patterns are all over the map though, but, i'm allowed to nap when i can. which is a good thing. thank you. appreciate it.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

What type of sealant do they use around the cabin hatch
4200 or equivalent. You don't need to remove it often, which is why I wouldn't bother doing anything to the headliner. Biggest PITA is matching the screw plugs in the wooden trim above the side windows. I have the crushed velour type headliner. It is, I'm sure, factory original. It went back fine, the only issue being that the MECHANIC DIDN'T WASH HIS HANDS BEFORE REINSTALLING IT. DO YOU READ THIS FORUM JOHN? I'm the only one in the world who can tell that there are fingerprint smudges along with the velour nap irregularities. BUT I CAN TELL. DO YOU HEAR ME? Other than that, no issues with the R&R. If you take it down, you might consider adding insulation to the bottom of the salon "roof." I thought of that about 30 hours too late. We plan on a sun pad like I saw on one of the 11 1981-1985 tricabs that I looked at before buying this one, so my insulation will be external.

I saw a tricab once that had a skylight for the hatch. A novel option if you have too much money and think there is not enough natural light.

P.S. I put "Perry" into the "search" function of the forum and it only returned hits about me.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

well okay "perry" did not think to search just asked, but I got the answer.

Thanks
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Hello all...... long time no post!!
The 2 smaller fridges on my '87 are plenty for long weekends although the port one (without the ice maker), started not getting cold enough a few seasons ago. Dreading having to remove the large saloon hatch to replace it, we just used it to house condiments and such. This summer the aft A/C had to be replaced (1 week before July 4th weekend :roll: ) and while the AC dude was onboard he told me he could make it better than new. $38 later it's perfect and we didn't have to remove the hatch.... thank GOD!!
The hatch looks like it was professionally sealed with 5200 and I can imagine it would be a nightmare to remove all of the sealant since it's in a channel.
p.s. Glad to see you are hanging tough Aaron!!

RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RB . You bring up a good point . Too often when a fridge acts up we replace it . I can't ever remember a thread or post on repairing a fridge . But you could find one on most anything else .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D