I think I found my next boat (10 meter)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

I think I found my next boat (10 meter)

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well, the F27 has been great, but i wanted something larger and found a local 10 meter for $19k. The boat is in excellent shape but has a couple of things I'm concerned with that are merely cosmetic. First, teal canvas. For some reason, that color makes my skin crawl! Second, the boat is the mid cabin model but does not have heat, A/C or a genset. Do you think that should be a deal breaker or is adding those items at a later time realistic?

The sale will be pending a survey and sea trial, but I think I'm sold. Any thoughts?
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: I think I found my next boat (10 meter)

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes you could add them later . But it won't be cheap . Are you ready to spend another 10k or so right off the bat for genset and a/c ? It maybe cheaper to find one with the gen and a/c . How important is it to you ?

Just something to thing about .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I'm a Teal mid cabin owner and I totally agree! I'm getting all new canvas this winter and going with another color. Two thoughts on the genset and AC:

1) if the AC were original it would probably be due for replacement anyway. Granted you'll have to add a seacock/strainer/thru hull but that's not a huge deal if you're handy. I went with electric heat option on mine so I can run it in or out of the water.

2) I don't have a genset but have an inverter/battery that works for me. Same comment about age applies if the genset were on the boat and original.

If you're not handy and really need both options, then you might be better looking at one which has been upgraded.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

BobCT wrote:I'm a Teal mid cabin owner and I totally agree! I'm getting all new canvas this winter and going with another color. Two thoughts on the genset and AC:

1) if the AC were original it would probably be due for replacement anyway. Granted you'll have to add a seacock/strainer/thru hull but that's not a huge deal if you're handy. I went with electric heat option on mine so I can run it in or out of the water.

2) I don't have a genset but have an inverter/battery that works for me. Same comment about age applies if the genset were on the boat and original.

If you're not handy and really need both options, then you might be better looking at one which has been upgraded.

Bob
===============================================

+1

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thanks for the perspective guys. I think I could live without a genset, but would probably want to install an inverter at some point. A/C is also something I would be willing to add. They were using a portable A/C unit when at the dock, which I'm not a fan of.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Like Bob, in my former Trojan ('74 TriCabin) I added brand new AC (after learning the hard way that second hand AC is a bad move) featuring in-line electric heaters. This move ended up costing $10,000 for two new 10,000 btu units and related equip.

I placed one unit in the rear bedroom closet and the second unit in the salon closet directly across from the head. We ran one unit at a time. The system worked fine. Installation was around $3,000 (I'm not really handy so I had the marina do it for me.) When taken as a whole, it was quite expensive but in a tricabin with V-drives, the bedroom needs it's own air conditioning because of the heat produced by the engines.

In the Tricabin (1974) my genset although original, always worked great for us and I personally like having one aboard. (It seems as though we are either proponents of inverters or we are a generator fan) We anchor out a lot and we liked being able to use that Princess stove. I had one AC/DC fridge and one that was only AC. So every couple of hours we'd run the gennie for fifteen minutes to cool the second fridge back down. This is not very economical but I'm just telling you what we did. I should never have installed a second fridge that was not AC/DC.

So, for me, I would want the Air Conditioning and I would want the Generator. I have no Inverter experience to draw from. But doing an installation after the fact is in my opinion an expensive route. The $19,000 price tag for the boat - if the boat's in good condition, seems like a reasonable to even a low price and maybe makes it more viable to pay extra for installing the other utilities.

My new Trojan has a Westerbeke generator and an AC/DC fridge but also has a cockpit bar fridge that is only AC so I'm back in the same boat (so to speak) as I was with the Tri.

Teal doesn't work very well for me either or for my wife. Our current worn-out enclosure (beige), has a rubberized backing on the inside that works very well. No leaking. I would like to replace the enclosure next spring and it will probably beige again. I want that rubberized backing (definitely not sunbrella) on the new enclosure. Does anyone know what this type of material is called??
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

it all depends on how you will use the boat and climate.

90% of the time we turn the genny on when we leave the dock.

It's running 2 fridges, an icemaker and the A/C.

If it's cold, the reverse heat is running, again requiring the genny.

Anchored out - we're generally running the A/C

It's all about the comfort & convenience.

Our genny is a diesel, which increases the safety factor.

If you are going to USE the boat and KEEP it................... it makes sense.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

FWIW , my aft A/C at 38 years old is working fine and I expect it to last much longer . I would say many folks that buy boats with plans of adding thing like A/C and gensets never get around to it . But most that have it would repair them if they failed .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D