Fixin her up!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Re: Fixin her up!

Post by Jimmy »

I did see some at West Marine. Just need to find a match, and do some splicing.....corners may be a challenge to bend properly, but gonna give it a try. Thanks again for the help!
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Easy Off Oven Cleaner aerosol spray takes painted names off rather easily.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Ill check both, thanks!

Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Jimmy wrote:Ok, she is in the water, now comes the first initial cleaning.... Kids cannot wait :). Is there a source for new metal rub rail? There are some pretty scuffed up and dented sections I would like to replace.

Oh, And, updated the pic!
If Bob can not help you out try Taco Metals out of Maimi.
That is where I purchased the new rail for my last 11 Meter and my Current 12 Meter. I believe it was the same rail. I think it cost about $1000.00 to do my current boat. The most expensive part was the shipping as it had to be trucked.
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Ok, boat is in heated storage so time to get on some to do items:

One is to patch the holes in the Transom where the PO had various items mounted such as cable slots, xducers, etc. question is, what is the best long term hole patching method. Currently they are packed with caulk. I want epoxy or fiberglass, or another permanent patch. Thought was to gouge out the caulk, dremel out the holes, then let 'dry' a few weeks, then fill them up. Suggestions?

1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Don't forget to do the denaming ceremony & then the renaming ceremony so Neptune doesn't drag you to the bottom.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

It may be different than yours but, I got my stainless rub rail from Hamilton Marine www.hamiltonmarine.com
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Found some here http://www.marineind.net somewhat local in Michigan. Maybe easier to go get it with the trailer vs shipping. Bending it will be the trick,,,, stay tuned.

New name sticker is ordered, old name all but removed. Re-naming ceremony will happen when she takes her spring dip. Wondering how to get the vinyl bumper back to black before putting on the new bump rail. it has a pretty good white haze on it.

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

how to get the vinyl bumper back to black
Take a trip to your local auto parts store, and you will find a wide variety of products to solve this problem.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Yes, considered that, but was not sure how long these products will last. Most seem to be basically black paint or shoe polish type of restorer, just wonder if anyone has good experience with any.

MarinaMike

Post by MarinaMike »

To address the "painted on name" issue: 1st get a good 3m dust mask, the oven cleaner fumes are very strong and you should not inhale them. 2nd ensure good ventilation, 3rd get some vinyl gloves, 4th mask off the swim platform and any areas you do not want oven cleaner or the paint to drip onto, 5th spray the entire name with oven cleaner and let stand for about 5-10 minutes, 6th come back with a flat razor blade and scrape the painted name off the boat, 7th clean any access paint off with a soapy terry cloth, 8th dry the area with another cloth, 9th to remove the yellowing that appears from the oven cleaner you will need an acid such as "PENTOX" which is made by Drummand American, 10th aply the Pentox to a terry cloth and saturate the yellowed areas and let stand for about 5 minutes, 11th take a watered down terry cloth and clean the Pentox off, 12th dry the area. This should remove the old name and any yellowing from the oven cleaner. Then buff and wax. Hope this is helpful and good luck. Marina Manager, Lake Ozark, MO.
MarinaMike

Post by MarinaMike »

To get the vinyl bumper back to black: 1st wear some vinyl gloves, 2nd rub acetone on the bumper with a terry cloth and use some elbow grease, 3rd get some extra grit compound and really rub it into the rub rail again with your elbow grease. This has worked for me every time. Marina manager, Lake Ozark, MO
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the reply, I did use the acetone on some of the lighter faded areas, but on some really faded, I put plenty of elbow grease on it, with little change. Ill try the compound as well. Other thought was a fine grit sandpaper to take off the top faded layer. Just hoping there was an easy solution. But, Nothing really easy owning a boat......