Sandblasting Swim Platform

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

Sandblasting Swim Platform

Post by k9th »

I am getting ready to refinish my swim platform. The PO varnished the entire platform - in place - and the varnish is now beginning to peel and flake off. I have removed the entire platform and ladders from the boat and am planning to sandblast the remainder of the varnish off of the wood.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this and what your results were?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Sandblasting Swim Platform

Post by prowlersfish »

I would not sand blast wood . Too soft IMO
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

You would be better off to sand it not sandblast it. That's just my opinion.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Long time no see K9TH.

I would consider taking the platform to a professional furniture stripper. They have big tanks and can dunk entire dressers and such in stripper. I didn't take my own advice. I bought a tiny belt sander from Grizzly, and used that and my Fein multimaster to sand my platform. What is your time worth, and what do you want to do with it?

It is possible that you may get away with soda blasting. https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

And you might consider coating with epoxy once you are down to bare wood, then varnishing over it. That way, when the varnish is compromised, the epoxy keeps the wood from turning gray and requiring more sanding.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ?docId=351
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

sandblasting is not the way to go. use a good stripper like Circa. If you have stains or dark spots use a 2 stage cleaner. flush well with water. When dry sand with 100-150 grit as the grain will be raised. than 220. I would not coat with epoxy because when the platform is damaged ie; scrapped (and it will) stripping epoxy is next to impossible, When sanding is complete wipe down with Acetone and apply a coat of Cetol. Never thin Cetol. apply 3 coats and one coat annually, Don't finish with Cetol gloss as it is too slippery. I have used this method for years and it looks better year after year.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

After watching several videos on YouTube of boat owners very successfully sandblasting their platforms (one even doing it while still attached) and researching the subject extensively online with BlastJournal and others, I decided to do the blasting. I have learned that TEAK is one of the hardest woods that there is and can be very successfully blasted.

I wanted to see if any of you had attempted it since I value the opinion of all of the forum members.

The boat is going in the water on the 4th of May and so I have precious little time to get the project completed. Blasting provides a quick and inexpensive way to be rid of the previous coating.

I will document the efforts and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Tim, just ensure it's soda blasting not sand, and that it's someone that has experience with teak. While teak is a hard wood, every other grain in the alternating tight grain of old teak (what I call real teak) is a little softer and you'll end up with valleys in the softer grain if the blasting is too aggressive. If that happens, you'll just end up doing a lot of sanding anyway. Don't wait too long before you apply your first coat of product as it doesn't take long before the teak's natural oils to resurface again.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Tim,

Unless, its completely necessary I'd wait one more season and then next fall, follow the advice recommending stripping and sanding and using cetol. The only point I would add is that I'd use six base coats of the stuff and then add one each spring. I don't think you'll like the rough texture from the sandblasting. Good luck whatever method you choose to use. :)

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't want to pile on... but there are lots of people who blast cars / metal and say they can blast anything. Wood is not metal... If these folks haven't done wood blasting before, they are not qualified to blast your platform.

Like mechanics...I know some awesome automotive mechanics, but won't let them touch my boat -- marine mechanics is a whole different topic and requires a completely different awareness!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

captainmaniac wrote:Don't want to pile on... but there are lots of people who blast cars / metal and say they can blast anything. Wood is not metal... If these folks haven't done wood blasting before, they are not qualified to blast your platform.

Like mechanics...I know some awesome automotive mechanics, but won't let them touch my boat -- marine mechanics is a whole different topic and requires a completely different awareness!
+100%
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Just an interim update - the blasting is going very well and the platform is looking really good. I hope to have it all completed and re-installed perhaps this weekend. Inclement weather is hindering a little with rain off and on. The PO had really slopped the varnish on in some places which has been a bit of a challenge but it is all coming off very nicely and quickly for the most part.

I have only spent about 90 minutes so far on actual blasting and I am about 65% done with the platform. The ladder is still yet to do after the platform is completed.

I will post photos soon.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Consider this, I took mine off, went to a furniture builder and had it power planned by 1/16 top side and 1/32 bottom. No black stains (gone) then sanded ( 80 grit / 120 / then 150 ) then 5 coats of cetol. Amazing. Each tear a light scuff and a new coat of cetol.
F32 Fly 1975
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Away wrote:Consider this, I took mine off, went to a furniture builder and had it power planned by 1/16 top side and 1/32 bottom. No black stains (gone) then sanded ( 80 grit / 120 / then 150 ) then 5 coats of cetol. Amazing. Each tear a light scuff and a new coat of cetol.
PERFECT!
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Away wrote:Consider this, I took mine off, went to a furniture builder and had it power planned by 1/16 top side and 1/32 bottom. No black stains (gone) then sanded ( 80 grit / 120 / then 150 ) then 5 coats of cetol. Amazing. Each tear a light scuff and a new coat of cetol.
That sounds like a good idea too, and basically what the sandblasting has accomplished since I started with 80 grit and ended with 150 also. I am getting ready to apply the cetol also but rainy weather may halt my progress again.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin