1989 Trojan 10 Meter 340 Mid cabin - Upgrade thread

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

1989 Trojan 10 Meter 340 Mid cabin - Upgrade thread

Post by zedtwentyate »

Hey Friends -

I've decided to start a new thread to document my journey with the new vessel. The work as begun and boy am I tired already. Cleaning has been the number 1 priority, along with fixing little things like a leaky fresh water pump due to some shotty marina work.

I'll include a few of the pictures that I have already posted and then throw up the projects i've begun. Thank you all for the advice and support in this process. This forum has been an incredible resource!

The electronics "dash" area was one of the first things I tackled. I set up a temporary configuration for this summer with my chartpolotter and existing equipment. The Garmin is only hooked up to power, but will be hooked to a new transducer when I haul out. I used a large cutting board for the surround area! I may re do this with black pvc instead of the white. I don't think it looks that great with all the faded yellow!

Yesterday I decided to rip the combing boards off. I couldnt stand the duct tape job that they had done. Getting the bolts of the back side was a bit of a pain, bit I managed. There are access panels behind the seats and wet bar. I also got intot he aft cabin to reach up behind the helm area. Now I need to figure this out quickly because those holes are hideous! I'm thinking about some sort of flexible plastic temporarily while i make the new boards or have them made. I could cut it out with the same dimensions of the boards and then use some heavy duty 3m double sided tape to hold them in place for a few weeks. Thoughts?

The previous owner put 6 70lb sand bags in the port rear of the vessel. He said he didnt like the way it sat in the water. I pulled two out so far and will most likely be removing the rest. Adding weight doesnt quite make sense to me. I'd rather see her lean a little...perhaps my cooler will be loaded and sit on the port side! I might need a bigger cooler!

And just for fun, here's my sweet Audio setup...

Anyone know what size nipple i need for this pump?

Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Re: 1989 Trojan 10 Meter 340 Mid cabin - Upgrade thread

Post by Jimmy »

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. (No pun intended). Picked up an 11 meter not quite a year ago and am systematically fixing, refurbing, rebuilding such as you. Not to the level of some tho. However, I did not have to remove sand bags...... Still scratching my head on that one. I love the cutting board idea for a radio mount i need to do yet. I suspect your pump (that is missing the pump) may be for the deck rinse hose? I know that when I scatch one done item off my list, I seem to add 2-3 more. However, she is getting there. Hope you enjoy ot as much as I.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I have a 10 meter, my side exust is not quite under water, so when I run the generator I get some exust fumes. I have most of my extra stuff on the starboard side of the boat so the side exust is under water so I eliminate the exust fumes. Your PO may of been doing the same thing with sand bags.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Flyboy wrote:I have a 10 meter, my side exust is not quite under water, so when I run the generator I get some exust fumes. I have most of my extra stuff on the starboard side of the boat so the side exust is under water so I eliminate the exust fumes. Your PO may of been doing the same thing with sand bags.
==========================================================================================================

A Gen Sep will eliminate the noise and redirect the fumes.

I assed one when I did the Diesel generator.

WOW, WHAT A DIFFRENCE !!!!!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Jimmy wrote:I am somewhat in the same boat as you. (No pun intended). Picked up an 11 meter not quite a year ago and am systematically fixing, refurbing, rebuilding such as you. Not to the level of some tho. However, I did not have to remove sand bags...... Still scratching my head on that one. I love the cutting board idea for a radio mount i need to do yet. I suspect your pump (that is missing the pump) may be for the deck rinse hose? I know that when I scatch one done item off my list, I seem to add 2-3 more. However, she is getting there. Hope you enjoy ot as much as I.

Well I pulled all the bags out today. Turns out they were doing a great job of keeping the boat level. Either way, I don't want the extra weight. I'll see if fully loaded (with more stuff on the port side), she levels out. Otherwise, I might have to get creative. Listing starboard isn't something i'd really like. Hard to believe that it came like this from the factory. The boat does not have A/C or a Genset btw.
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Todays projects included removing and replacing the old washdown pump. I'm a little mad i paid marina prices for this thing, but it is pretty sweet. Went in like a breeze. The pump is a jabsco parmax 5 washdown pump. The quick connects are amazing!

I also spent some time cleaning the bilge. It appears to have oil sludge in it. I ran both motors and checked for leaks, but didnt find anything. It also seems like there may have been some gas in there too. Couldnt find any leaks there either. Anyone else ever experience anything like that? I scrubbed it pretty good but still need to get in there with a shop vac to suck the sludge out.
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well friends, yesterday we lost a motor. We were coming across oneida in a bit of a storm, my anchor fell out of the windlass, my spot light broke in half, and then my tach jumped up and down and the port motor died. Happy memorial day!

I pulled the fuel filter and its 3/4 water and looks like it has been there for a long while. I'm going to replace both and see what happens.

Anyone with insight on how that fuel filter should look? Should the canister be totally full of fuel? It was only about half full.
Kegan

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

A half full fuel filter can be caused by blockage in the fuel system before the filter, and usually leads to starvation at the engine. I've had this happen due to a blockage at the anti siphon valve however a blocked pick up in the tank can have the same results. The only way to know is to work your way back thru the system and check each connection. I'd start at the anti siphon valve which is normally located at the top of the fuel pick up in the tank.

Hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Paul wrote:A half full fuel filter can be caused by blockage in the fuel system before the filter, and usually leads to starvation at the engine. I've had this happen due to a blockage at the anti siphon valve however a blocked pick up in the tank can have the same results. The only way to know is to work your way back thru the system and check each connection. I'd start at the anti siphon valve which is normally located at the top of the fuel pick up in the tank.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Paul - I have yet to locate the fuel tanks on this new boat. Can anyone direct me to their location on a 10 meter mid cabin?
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Clearly I didnt look hard enough....they are right next to each motor. I'll be quiet now...
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Two new fuel fillters later, it stays running. I'll be taking her out in a little bit to see if she stays running...I'm probably going to do those anti siphon valves as well, but its hard to get parts on memorial day! I'm lucky I found the filters!
Kegan

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

When I had the problem, the blockage was such that it would allow enough fuel flow to keep it running at lower RPMs however as I climbed over 3000 the engine would slowly starve for fuel.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

So the motor will run when the gas system is on crossover and it can pull from the starboard tank. When it's just running off the port it dies.

So I'm assuming it's a check valve or some clogged lines. Any other thoughts?
Kegan

BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Lack of fuel from port tank is probably as others have suggested (blocked anti siphon or maybe a pin hole leak that allows it to take path of least resistance and suck air rather than drawing fuel)

List to starboard- Do you have the Bar sink/refrigerator ice make combo unit on the port side behind the front seat? I have a 1990 10 meter mid cabin and recently removed the ice Maker/refrigerator from the bar area on the port side because I never used it and wanted the space for other thins. I re made the top of the Bar area by removing the sink which I rarely used, and used the space gained by removing the ice make combo unit to store other essentials and also for trash can storage. My boat now lists to starboard when at rest but is fine when on plane (As much as these tanks really plane) That Fridge unit weighed close to 100 pounds so if you don't have one there that might be the cause of your list. I don"t have a generator either so that might be a factor

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

BarryL wrote:Lack of fuel from port tank is probably as others have suggested (blocked anti siphon or maybe a pin hole leak that allows it to take path of least resistance and suck air rather than drawing fuel)

List to starboard- Do you have the Bar sink/refrigerator ice make combo unit on the port side behind the front seat? I have a 1990 10 meter mid cabin and recently removed the ice Maker/refrigerator from the bar area on the port side because I never used it and wanted the space for other thins. I re made the top of the Bar area by removing the sink which I rarely used, and used the space gained by removing the ice make combo unit to store other essentials and also for trash can storage. My boat now lists to starboard when at rest but is fine when on plane (As much as these tanks really plane) That Fridge unit weighed close to 100 pounds so if you don't have one there that might be the cause of your list. I don"t have a generator either so that might be a factor

Barry

Thanks for the tips! I spoke to the previous owner and he said he did the anti siphon valve last season. I'm wondering if there is just a bunch of crap in the tank and that was kicked up by the storm and now there is a blockage.

I do have the wet bar and fridge, but the previous owner replaced the AC/DC unit with an AC unit. That would probably be the difference. Thanks!
Kegan