Any info on a 9 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jus10

Any info on a 9 meter

Post by Jus10 »

Hello everyone! My name is Justin. I currently own an '89 basscat pantera II with a '95 Mercury 200 EFI. I got the boat in pretty bad shape and not running, but it's currently running and water worthy and definitely a fun little bass boat. Enough about me! I joined this forum because I've come across an opportunity that may be too good to be true but I wanted to get as much info before I even waste my time looking. I've come across 9 meter (not sure on the year but the guy thinks it's an '87) with title. It comes with a tri-axel trailer.

A little about the boat: it looks fairly decent in the pictures he sent me, but those of us who have messed with any project know not to judge a book by its cover. The boat was "swamped" (one could only assume he means "sank" I will find out why it sank when I officially contact the guy) and the guy was gonna keep it as a project but lost interest in it. The hull appears to be decent, no major blemishes. Will need new gel. Because the boat was "swamped" I'm sure the stringers, transom, and flooring will have to be replaced. I'm sure the wiring will all need replaced, the gauges, and engines. Basically, worst case scenario, it will be a huge project. But I'm a hands on kind of guy and I'm really diggin the vessel. It will definitely be the biggest project I've considered, but definitely willing to tackle it if it's under the right circumstances. I definitely don't want to dump enough money to the point where I could've bought a new cabin cruiser for cheaper, but definitely willing to invest some cash into this vessel.

1. Where can I find good reliable info on the 9 meter?
2. What do you guys think about the 9 meter?
3. Would stringers, transom, and floor be replaced the same way other boats would be? (Obviously I wouldn't be able to pull the cap, but would I just cut the floor out replace the stringers, then replace the floor, or is there another "proper" way?)
4. What engines are in this model?
5. If I do end up inquiring to this project, is there anything I should look into before committing to the project?
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Any info on a 9 meter

Post by RWS »

RUN, FORREST, RUN !

but first, check out:

www.trojanboat.com

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If its been sunk the costs may make the boat not worth fixing . But your making a lot of assumptions just based on a ad ? If you really like it look at it and talk to the seller . Then if you think its worth fixing Get a survey spending 500 now may save you from wasting lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ later . Not sure what engines they came with but being 30 y/o they may not be the oem ones
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I agree about running. If you're looking at stringers "up" this will be a multi year project. Even if It's free, you could prob pick up a decent project boat in way better shape for $5k or less. This doesn't sound like a good foundation to begin with....

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

might make a good fishing reef.......

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

Jus10

Post by Jus10 »

Well I went ahead and talked to the seller. I don't think I'm gonna pursue it. It's just not adding up. The seller said that he got it in hopes of restoring it, but lost interest. That was my first red flag. It made me wonder if he realized it was more work than he's willing to deal with, plus in the pictures of the vessel, it looked to be surrounded with a few automotive projects. Second red flag was when he told me how it sank. He said "he thinks it took on water at the stern and submerged the engines." He said, "I'd say it was caught by a large wake from another vessel or had a leak from the engine cooling system." This is my second red flag. The boat was a freshwater boat on a larg lake, and so catching a wave from another boat and sinking is just not logical in my eyes, unless of course it was a huge boat putting out the wake. As far as the cooling system notion, I guess it could be plausible, but I would believe on a vessel the size of a 9 meter that the bilge pumps are sufficient enough to pump that water out. But I may be wrong. I think you guys are right. I'm gonna walk away from this deal and find something else. It kinda bums me out because I was really looking forward to it. I guess my hunt is still on! I appreciate everyone's input. Sorry to have wasted your time.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Don't be bummed out.

Sellers story doesn't add up.

Most likely this boat was neglected and sank at the dock, which according to Boat US is the most likely spot for a sinking.

Problem is, the cost to REATORE a 30 year old sinking victim is about the same as the cost to restore a 2 year old one.

In the 30 year old boat, the numbers simply don't match up.

This is where the DREAMERS meet REALITY...... OUCH !!!

You probably saved BIG MONEY and HEADACHES.

There are many Internationals available.

What's your budget range?

That will certainly help the guys on the Forum provide some sound advice.

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

Jus10

Post by Jus10 »

Honestly I haven't thought about budget as far as buying something that's lake ready. When I look for projects, I generally look for things that I can get a good deal on, and work on it over time. I was just browsing craigslist a few evenings ago and came across the 9 meter. That's what got me turned on to a cabin cruiser project. The one aspect I take into account when looking for projects is definitely how long it would take to make it road worthy or lake ready. Since I'm looking for my second marine project, I would like to have a project I could make lake ready within 6-8 months of continuous work. I have a lot of free time and get seriously bored if I'm not doing something. So that's why I dedicate a lot of time to projects. I am debt free aside from my mortgage and prefer to stay that way. We live a very simple and stress free lifestyle. We don't buy into the big houses or nice cars because that becomes more maintenance which means more money. The only financial obligation I have is my commitment to my savings for a business in looking to start by 2019. So to answer the budget question, I don't know. It depends. That's a hard question for me to answer because I generally look at long term finances when projecting restorations, and one month a may be willing to spend a couple thousand, but the next month I may be only willing to spend a couple hundred. For instance, this 9 meter is about $3k. That's fine, I'm not worried about a $3k initial investment on a project of this magnitude. But if it's gonna cost me $80k to get it lake ready, then it's not my cup of tea, because I won't be able to dump $80k in 6-8 months on a project while saving for future business ventures. I think what I may do is start a savings for a project of this size, and save over the 6-8 month time period, see where I'm at, then make a decision to either purchase a project within the 6-8 month budget, or continue to save for another 6-8 months and reassess.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Sounds like you have done a lot of thinking on this WRT cash flow. I especially like the fact that you are saving for a future investment. Too few people do that, live beyond their means, and expect to retire off social security. Good luck to them.

Here's another idea: Spend a little more on a boat that is functional to the point that you can use it now. Then make improvements to it as you go. Everything always takes longer and costs more than you think it will. If you double your initial purchase price, you might find something that is serviceable now. That you can enjoy now. And that you can continue to use, more or less, as you upgrade it, now.

A once-sunk boat? I'll pass. Unless uninsured at the time, I can't believe it wasn't a write-off. Too many gremlins lurking like wet stringers, cores, engines, WIRING CONNECTIONS (this is what always gets flooded cars), and other stuff. But if you like to work on boats instead of go boating, this sounds like your kind of boat. Good luck to you, and do keep us posted.

And welcome to the forum!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I just noticed the "I" word in your post above mine. What part of buying a decades-old boat is a financial investment? I bought a boat as an investment in family time, selling my airplane, which I almost always used by myself, so that I could spend more time with my kids before they grow up and (fingers crossed!) move out.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Jus10

Post by Jus10 »

I appreciate the kind words. That's one thing that irritates me about a lot of young people my age these days. They sit here and spend all this money on nice cars, systems, phones, TVs, computers, and everything else, but are still throwing their money away on rent rather than throwing it into an investment such as a house. They don't save for retirement or save to invest into future business opportunities to increase their assets. They're prefer to show everyone else their nice things rather than show themselves they can Become greater than they ever dreamed. Just doesn't make sense to me. But like I said, I'm a simple guy. A huge house to me would be more of a PITA rather than a luxury. Lol. Maybe multiple little house in various locations across the country or world, but 1 big house just isn't my forte. Lol.

As far as me saying a boat is investment, I wasn't meaning an investment to see a return, I was referencing just the simple act of spending money. Lol. Nice catch though!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

You say this is your second marine project. I am curious about what your first was. Just wondering if what you are looking at now is on the same scale of what you have done before, or if the 9 meter would be a whole new league for you? Knowing might help us target our comments or feedback better.
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

I know the boat that you're talking about. I saw it earlier today. Run....
Not even for free...
It's a parts boat at best, and even with that, I mean maybe just hardware. The radar arch is probably ok. I 'm only a few miles from this boat myself and considered asking the owner if he would sell the dash.
Nothing came by on lake of the Ozarks big enough to swamp this boat. I agree that it likely went down at the dock from neglect.
If you're looking for a big project for cheap, or nothing for that matter, they're out there in mass. People get tired of $300-500 a month in slip rent and will give them away to get out from under them.
Cruise your local marinas and look for something old, dusty and afloat and inquire around. Most importantly complete..
I just went through this myself with the restoration of a previously abandoned 10 meter that you're welcome to check out if you're in the Joplin area.
Jus10

Post by Jus10 »

captainmaniac wrote:You say this is your second marine project. I am curious about what your first was. Just wondering if what you are looking at now is on the same scale of what you have done before, or if the 9 meter would be a whole new league for you? Knowing might help us target our comments or feedback better.
My first project boat was an '89 Basscat Pantera II. What I'm looking at now is on a larger scale than what I've done before. Definitely a whole new game.
Drafter wrote:I know the boat that you're talking about. I saw it earlier today. Run....
Not even for free...
It's a parts boat at best, and even with that, I mean maybe just hardware. The radar arch is probably ok. I 'm only a few miles from this boat myself and considered asking the owner if he would sell the dash.
Nothing came by on lake of the Ozarks big enough to swamp this boat. I agree that it likely went down at the dock from neglect.
If you're looking for a big project for cheap, or nothing for that matter, they're out there in mass. People get tired of $300-500 a month in slip rent and will give them away to get out from under them.
Cruise your local marinas and look for something old, dusty and afloat and inquire around. Most importantly complete..
I just went through this myself with the restoration of a previously abandoned 10 meter that you're welcome to check out if you're in the Joplin area.
Yea I figured that after talking to the seller. My family and I went to Lake of the Ozarks every year when I was growing up. So, I've seen the boats on that lake and never once saw a boat big enough to sink a boat the size of a 9 meter. Maybe a little 18' bow rider would get jerked around out there, but not a 9 meter. I head up to neosho quite frequently to visit the Mrs. Family, so I may take you up on the offer next time I'm up that way! I'm only about an hour and a half south of you down here on Beaver lake in Arkansas.

There aren't very many boats of this magnitude here on Beaver lake, just little bow riders and wake boats. This is more or a less a calm fishing type lake rather than a cruise and party kind of lake. But we frequent Grand lake so I may look around out there. We'll be there next weekend, so I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

There is a website out there called Boneyard boats designed to put old boats into the hands of people willing to bring them back to life. Often for free so that the owners don't see them cut up. They're not for everyone, and a lot of hard work, but it is pretty cool to have something few others do that you brought back to life yourself.