1985 10 meter sedan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

john s adams

1985 10 meter sedan

Post by john s adams »

i seem to acumulate and hold water on the outside of my stringers, is there anything i can do to stop or... drain it to my rear bilge pump.
im only on the boat weekends and it tends to get a swampy odor to it.
thanks,and i really enjoy this forum.
john adams
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1985 10 meter sedan

Post by prowlersfish »

There should be some scuppers under the stringers to let water pass . Perhaps a 10 meter owner will see this and say where to look .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
john s adams

Post by john s adams »

thanks for the reply
i have felt all over under the water and cant find a passage, i hope like you said someone will know. short of wet vacumeing it i am lost .
just thought for sure there would be one some where .
sure love the boat but i need to solve this one issue.
i see your boat has cummins in it, that might be my next project for this one.
thanks again
john
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I assume the sedan is similar to mid cabin where you have fiberglass tubes cut through near the bottom of the stringer(s). The problem is they are a little too high and water can still sit behind the stringer until it gets high enough to drain through. We're only talking 1/4" at most but it's enough.

On my inboard stringers, I removed those and and "finished" the cut right down to the hull. I also added a couple of more in the process. Make sure you epoxy the inside of the stringer if you do this. Now I don't have any areas where water can get trapped, everything drains to one location in the bilge.

Also, these tubes are the root of all evil/stringer rot on the Internationals with cored stringers. I highly recommend you start knocking them out and sealing the insides with epoxy. The sealant used at the factory is long gone by now. I have scarfed in two sections of stringers on my boat as a result but otherwise dry now.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

I run into this too... Same boat. The boat naturally sits lower in the bow causing any water under the engines to pool in the front of that bilge with nowhere to go. I wondered if the rear or really mid bilge at the engine room was somehow connected to the front. Does not appear to be. The only way I seem to resolve it is to use the boat often and let the water drain back naturally with the bow up underway. My front always has water in it, and I've pulled my hair out trying to figure out from where...
Seems to be from inside, as it stays dry in the winter. My rear bilge at the transom is bone dry always.
john s adams

Post by john s adams »

thanks a lot Drafter.

At least now I don't feel so bad. I felt like a dumb a$$ not being able to find some sort of path for water to collect and flow to rear and get pumped out, you would think that would be the way it was designed.
The guy I bought it from had absorbent mats all under the engines and I have been fishing that out and flushing it with water to see if I could break something free and get flow to the back , just figured it was plugged up those pieces of mats.
thanks again to all who replied
safe boating
john
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Drafter wrote:I run into this too... Same boat. The boat naturally sits lower in the bow causing any water under the engines to pool in the front of that bilge with nowhere to go. I wondered if the rear or really mid bilge at the engine room was somehow connected to the front. Does not appear to be. The only way I seem to resolve it is to use the boat often and let the water drain back naturally with the bow up underway. My front always has water in it, and I've pulled my hair out trying to figure out from where...
Seems to be from inside, as it stays dry in the winter. My rear bilge at the transom is bone dry always.
============================================

I can confirm that the Express (not mid cabin) does in fact connect the fwd bilge to the rear bilge area via a passageway UNDER the vacuum formed hull liner.

When on plane, all that water is in the aft bilge, at rest, in the front.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED