Water to the head – 1987 8.6 Meter Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jpb219

Water to the head – 1987 8.6 Meter Express

Post by jpb219 »

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and to the world of Trojan boats. I recently purchased a 1987 8.6 Meter Express. This is my first boat of this size and type. So please forgive my lack of knowledge. How does water get to the head? Does it draw from the fresh water tank or from sea water? I read about a seacock that opens to draw in sea water but I cannot locate it. The seacock I've been able to locate is just in front of the starboard engine. Is this the one? Thanks in advance for your help and understanding of my rookie questions.
1987 8.6 Meter Express
Twin Mercruiser 350 Magnums
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Water to the head – 1987 8.6 Meter Express

Post by prowlersfish »

Trojan used a number of different heads . most I believe used raw water (except the recirculating type ) and with a 3 year old boat many things may have been changed . Can you Id the head ? photo? Hand pump or elc head ? Trace the input hose and see where it goes would be a good start .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

Mine is, and based on the build sheet, has always been, plumbed in with the freshwater tank. last stop before the head sink. It is a vacuflush, and when I did some work on it, added a valve at the base, so that if there was a clog, you wouldn't have to add water every time you tried to flush.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If you push a foot petal to flush, it's likely a Vacuflush which is typically plumbed into your on board fresh water system though they can also draw from the lake/ocean.

If it's a manual or electric pump, they typically draw from the lake/ocean but again, depends on the setup you have and what previous owners did. Shut off your fresh water system pump and try to get water into the bowl. If you can't, then you know it draws from your fresh water system, if you can, then you're drawing from below the hull. A picture would help.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

International models with vacuflush systems used freshwater for flushing.

The system will typically use only about one pint of water total per flush.

One big advantage of the fresh water flush is that waste tank capacity is less of an issue and it will actually stink less than when introducing seawater.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
jpb219

Post by jpb219 »

Mine is a hand pump head. There is also a pump switch above the sink. I'll post a picture soon. Should I open the seacock in front of the engine?
1987 8.6 Meter Express
Twin Mercruiser 350 Magnums
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

just removed my thru hulls on my F32, the raw water flush set up it had smells too rancid for me as the holding tank odor, im adding a water tank as on longer trips im worried about carrying capacity if I plumb my head into the existing tank...thats one thing I keep an eye on for showers as is. Theirs some systems out there that help with the raw water setups but ive planned a course of action that works better for myself. My boat also sits on bottom twice a day at low tide so in addition to terrible odor i get mud/much pumped through the head, not next year!