Rudder bearing removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oil&water
Moderate User

Re: Rudder bearing removal

Post by oil&water »

Alright, today was the day! After soaking in PB Blaster all week, the collar had still not moved. My can of AeroKroil came in Friday, so I liberally applied, yesterday evening and then checked the puller and collar this morning. Nada. So we proceed to heat the collar and bearing with two torches in between tightening the puller and using Freez-Off on the shaft. More AeroKroil and more heat. Baam! More AeroKroil and heat then tension on the puller. Baam again. We repeated numerous times and finally the collar came off and the bearing was not too far behind. We then drove out the rudder and stood back to savor the victory... until we saw the starboard rudder. :cry:

Oh well, break for dinner and try again later.
Currently Trojan-less :?
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Half way there is better than where you were this morning. Glad to hear you are getting there!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Thanks Way. I'll be glad to get the other out and start the process of cleaning everything.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Well if I thought the port rudder was bad, I was in for a rude surprise with the starboard rudder. I got my hopes up when the collar lifted right off, as did the bearing. With nothing holding it in place, it would not budge. Not even a little. I soaked the entrance to the rudder tube in AeroKroil. I tapped the shaft. I then used a 3lb maul and a block of wood to "convince" the rudder out. No love. So I hung it up Saturday night and left it to soak.

Back at it Sunday morning and she hasn't budged at all. I resorted to the wood and maul again. Nothing. So I soaked it again. I hit it with the propane torch. Nada. I tried this routine several more times and left it for later in the afternoon.

I was back at it again Sunday evening. This time with the Mapp torch, AeroKroil, and Freeze Off, as well as reinforcements. I attacked the rudder tapping it back and forth with a rubber mallet. Dad was inside the hull with the wood block and maul. I would super heat the lower tube. He would Freeze Off the rudder post. Then while he was striking the top of the post with the wood and maul I would work the rudder back and forth. We did this six cycles and left it to soak and cool. After dinner, we came back for one more try before the weekend was up. This time I used a four foot pipe clamp to hold the rudder and get more leverage working it back and forth. I twisted the rudder back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until I was dizzy and worn out. Dad commenced to striking the rudder post with a larger wooden boat yard block in a dead blow fashion. I continued working it back and forth. All the time spraying more AeroKroil on the post, both on top and at the bottom. Finally it started dropping, a 1/4", then a 1/2", then an inch, then two; well you get the picture.

An hour later and she was finally out. Holy mackerel. Never did I expect two bronze shafts inside two bronze tubes could be such a miserable pain in the butt. Both posts had what I would consider to be fairly minimal amounts of salt build up on them. Like all things exposed to the inhumane saltwater environment, we are best served to clean well and grease liberally before re-installation.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

As I was reading your last post, I thought you were leading up to not getting the rudder out. Glad that was not so!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Me as well!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

WayWeGo wrote:As I was reading your last post, I thought you were leading up to not getting the rudder out. Glad that was not so!
Or bloodshed and busted expensive, hard to replace parts :shock:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

At one point I was waiting for the whole rudder mount to drop through the bottom of the boat. It was not a good feeling at all watching the entire back of the hull shutter with each hit. Old barnacles were falling off the vibrations were so intense. I have a whole new respect for fiberglass' strength.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

oil&water wrote:At one point I was waiting for the whole rudder mount to drop through the bottom of the boat. It was not a good feeling at all watching the entire back of the hull shutter with each hit. Old barnacles were falling off the vibrations were so intense. I have a whole new respect for fiberglass' strength.
Look at that area real close . It is the weakest point in the hull , yet its under stress . A bent rudder shaft can flex the hull to the point failure .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

4"X6"
Attachments
hull failure.jpg
hull failure.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
hull failure 2.jpg
hull failure 2.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
hole in boat.jpg
hole in boat.jpg (75.05 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Wow! That is a sad sight. I will examine that area very closely. I've seen so many boats go down due to rudder strikes.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It can be fixed
Attachments
rudders 1.jpg
rudders 1.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I got lucky with on rudder on old scrap F28, came right out. Not so much for other one. Just cut cross boards, top bearing came out easy on each. Second one used the old reciprocating saw and cut a whole in bottom of old boat and guess what if fell out. :D Then in shop used press to push the shaft on through bottom bearing and packing gland. All done.

However you could not use the hole adjusting saw like I did. LOL. Still a lot of work and I had no engines or other things in my way. 8)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

Had the same experience...after the original wooden support snapped while underway.

Didn't know why the boat was turning whilst my wheel was not!

Designed this up out of aluminum...maybe overkill, the wood one lasted 42 years... :roll:

1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

Had the same experience...after the original wooden support snapped while underway.

Didn't know why the boat was turning whilst my wheel was not!

Designed this up out of aluminum...maybe overkill, the wood one lasted 42 years... :roll:
Last edited by Paul - SW Ontario on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke