4 Out of 5 Boats Sink at the Dock

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Groco makes them, I installed one on each engine. I use them for flushing out the raw water side and it makes winterizing a little easier because you don't have to disconnect the hoses.

But, the big benefit is being able to remove one or both and use the engines as bilge pumps. Mine are about 6-8" from the bottom of the bilge.
1988 10m mid cabin
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Big D wrote:Touched base on this topic in http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... c&start=15

Dog House, though you have the right idea, I have a bit of an issue with your particular set up as described for this particular purpose. A garden hose is made for pushing water through and may collapse in a suction application. Further, a typical garden hose at half inch or 5/8 is an insufficient ID and will starve the pump at anything over idle. I suspect reving her up will certaily collapse that small a hose. The best set up is using a valve that is fully ported to the size of the original intake hose to ensure maximum pumping capacity in an emergency. Something to think about.
Good point. I'm not planning on doing a major refit, but for now if I need to use the engine as a bilge pump I'll simply open the garden hose fitting side of the seacock but not attach the hose. The fitting is about 4 inches above the bilge, but if I need to use the engine as a bilge pump I'm sure the water will be that high. The ID will still be small, but I won't have to worry about the hose collapsing.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Plan C if all else fails I done leave home with out it

http://inflatableboats.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=1036
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

or make sure the Dink comes off fast..pull two pins on mine and it's off the stern... or never go in water deeper then your air draft.... :lol:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

alexander38 wrote:or make sure the Dink comes off fast..pull two pins on mine and it's off the stern... or never go in water deeper then your air draft.... :lol:
good point
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

prowlersfish wrote:Good discussion . Crash valves are a good thing to have . However the title to you post is " 4 Out of 5 Boats Sink at the Dock " very true and I will bet 99% of them the owner was no ware around so crash valves would be of no use . But hit something under way the could be a nice thing to have as long as the hole is not to big . I had to deal with a 4" x 5" hole a few years back , Crash valves may have been nice but would not have been enough in I took the time to open them.

Having a way to stop a leak should be part of your emergency plan . And you should have one if not a writen plan , something planed out in your mind . Think about what you you would do if the worst happens and be ready if it happens . I have been down that road and am happy to say boat and crew are fine :D
If i might ask, what did you fill the hole with? I've always thought if i get too big a whole I would cut a life vest up and shove it into the whole.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

aweimer wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Good discussion . Crash valves are a good thing to have . However the title to you post is " 4 Out of 5 Boats Sink at the Dock " very true and I will bet 99% of them the owner was no ware around so crash valves would be of no use . But hit something under way the could be a nice thing to have as long as the hole is not to big . I had to deal with a 4" x 5" hole a few years back , Crash valves may have been nice but would not have been enough in I took the time to open them.

Having a way to stop a leak should be part of your emergency plan . And you should have one if not a writen plan , something planed out in your mind . Think about what you you would do if the worst happens and be ready if it happens . I have been down that road and am happy to say boat and crew are fine :D
If i might ask, what did you fill the hole with? I've always thought if i get too big a whole I would cut a life vest up and shove it into the whole.

yes please, I would love to hear this
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

aweimer wrote:

Life vest jamed in with a stick , was nor a good seal but slowed it down a lot . It kept trying to come out .

BTW even thou a life jaket saved the day , I never did put one on .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
just4plaay

Post by just4plaay »

The Dog House wrote:
Big D wrote:Touched base on this topic in http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... c&start=15

Dog House, though you have the right idea, I have a bit of an issue with your particular set up as described for this particular purpose. A garden hose is made for pushing water through and may collapse in a suction application. Further, a typical garden hose at half inch or 5/8 is an insufficient ID and will starve the pump at anything over idle. I suspect reving her up will certaily collapse that small a hose. The best set up is using a valve that is fully ported to the size of the original intake hose to ensure maximum pumping capacity in an emergency. Something to think about.
Good point. I'm not planning on doing a major refit, but for now if I need to use the engine as a bilge pump I'll simply open the garden hose fitting side of the seacock but not attach the hose. The fitting is about 4 inches above the bilge, but if I need to use the engine as a bilge pump I'm sure the water will be that high. The ID will still be small, but I won't have to worry about the hose collapsing.
When you open the garden hose valve does it close the thruhull? If it doesn't all you will do is let more water into the boat.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

It is a 3 way valve: off (down to the right), thru hull (straight up), garden hose adapter (down to the left). A plug is typically installed where the garden hose adapter would be so the boat doesn't sink with the valve in the thru hull (straight up) position. If the valve was straight up without the plug, water would flow in freely from outside the hull.

In an emergency situation where the engine is being used as a bilge pump, the valve would need to be down to the left. This closes the thru hull and opens the garden hose adapter if the plug is removed.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Here's my crash plan until I install crash valves
I have an awesome set of tin-snips on board....I have cut many hoses in less than 10 seconds. I can cut it just above the seacock and let it rest on the bilge floor.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ron thats a great idea