New Owner With A Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Agitator

Post by Agitator »

the starboard tank was reading 1/8 full and the port tank was reading nearly 5/8 full.

Don't you love boat owners outlook! Could just as easily said used 7/8 of one tank and 3/8 of another. Our glass is always half full!! Have a good trip.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Even with radar I do not go out in a heavy fog I use it to get back '
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Fog is the pitts. Once got caught in the fog while fishing. Did not have radar at that time. Had to wait for it to lift before I could find the mouth of the harbor. When it did finally lift we were only a few 100 yards away from The Break Wall that protects the harbor. Running blind is never a good idea.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Well here it is Saturday morning and I finally had a serious hiccup yesterday that stopped our trip until it gets fixed. At 3:30pm we had to put into Cheboygan, MI, just about half way through the trip for repairs when the starboard engine seriously overheated with no warning.

Earlier that morning we left Presque Isle under clear skies, beautiful sunshine, and waves at about 1 foot. Even though the near shore marine forecast said a small craft advisory would be in effect at 11am through that evening, we both agreed we had finally caught some good weather. The small craft advisory stated winds 10-15 knots and waves 1-2 feet. I'll take that small craft advisory any day.

Before leaving while doing my engine and bilge checks, I found the fuel crossover valve, and it was in the open position so I closed it to force each engine to draw fuel from its respective tank thinking I would solve the earlier reported problem. (love the glass half full comment). After running for two hours the waves picked up a bit but nothing serious but I noticed that the starboard engine RPM dropped from 2900 to about 1500. It fluctuated up and down a little but I couldn't get it back to 2900. We were just a few miles off shore from a small remote state-operated marina so I decided to go in there to check my suspicions. I suspected that the fuel pick up was picking up dirt and preventing full flow which would account for the uneven draw the day before. If that were the case I wanted to fill up so that I could go as far as I needed knowing that the starboard tank would limit my range since both engines would be drawing from it heavily. I later learned it was about 3:1.

I opened the crossover valve and the engine ran up to 2900 with no problems! Problem solved! On with the trip!

About an hour later I noticed a little drop in the oil pressure on the port engine - nothing serious - just about 10psi. I am a pilot and always scan my gauges about every 3-5 minutes - force of habit and a good habit I think. I decided to put into Cheboygan to have some lunch and check the problem, and top off the tanks since we had a long run coming with no marinas for refueling.

Once in Cheboygan, I checked the oil level on both engines again and all was as it should be. I could find no reason for the pressure drop. I re-started the port engine, ran it up and it was as it should be so we ate some lunch and topped off the tanks. My suspicions were correct about the fuel usage - 7 gallons from the port tank and 21 gallons from the starboard tank. At least I knew what the problem was and I can deal with that.

The winds had picked up quite a bit and the waves were 3-5 feet, very steep, and breaking in the straits between the mainland and Bois Blanc Island (pronounced locally as Bob-lo Island - go figure) We departed the marina thinking we would just go slow since we were going right into the waves and we knew from radio reports that less than an hour away was water at 1-2 feet.

We cleared the final channel marker out of the river and made our turn to the north west and were out in the straits just about a half mile when I noticed that the port engine temperature gage was pegged. Since I scan it every 3-5 minutes I knew it had read normal up to that point. I immediately pulled the throttle back to idle to see if it would cool any while I turned back to the river marker thinking maybe something was stuck on the inlet screen and hoping that in the very rough water maybe it would come loose. After about two minutes it dropped a little but not as much as it should have if it were debris stuck to the inlet so I shut the engine down.

What was going through my mind at that moment was here I am in 3-5 foot very steep and breaking waves from the side, in a boat that is new to me (5th day at the helm), going about 7 knots, with one engine out, and me having very limited knowledge steering a twin, none steering it with an engine out, trying to get it into the channel and keep the range lights aligned so I don't run aground, and about to try to dock in high winds from the side!

Just another day at the office right?

Well somehow we did all of the above, and I do mean WE since my wife and first mate is always an invaluable help and assistant. We got a small scratch on the hull as we hit the dock a glancing blow at slow speed but she was safely in the dock and so were we.

Now for the reason for the overheating - I was very curious about what could have happened - hoping it was merely debris on the screen. Upon opening the engine room covers I discovered that the belt that drives the water pump was off and laying in front of it. But there appeared to be a bigger problem - the pulley of the pump was not aligned with the drive pulley on the crankshaft. It was at least an inch offset forward. I suspect a bracket of some sort must have broken. I am not at all familiar with 255 Mercs but speaking to a mechanic he confirmed that it was a possibility.

We rented a car and drove home arriving at 3:30am this morning. The mechanic said that someone will be over to look at it on Tuesday so I will keep you updated.

Anyone else have this problem. I have never had a problem similar to it on my single engine I/O but that had a conventional water pump similar to an automotive engine. I have never seen a water pump that looked like this.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

I think what you are referring to is the raw water pump. It doesn't sound like you have a closed cooling system, so the raw water pump is the heart of the cooling system.

That pump should be rigidly attached to the block. Your problem is baffling. If something broke it should be visible. With an inch offset you would think the belt would have come off quickly. Try looking at the other engine and see if there is any difference. The 2 engines should be identical as far as the connections of the pump. Because of the opposite rotation the pump could be rotated 180 degrees, which change the location of the hoses slightly, but the actual mounting brackets should be the same.
Gerry
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

The other engine is identical but mirror image and the pulleys align as they should. I didn't have time to survey it closely since it was 3:30 when we got to the dock and I knew in a small town I needed to get a car rented and a mechanic lined up quickly because everything would probably soon be closing.

As it turned out I walked into the Hertz office at the local airport after a $69 taxi ride of 17 miles (thanks for the gouging) at 4:45pm and they closed at 5pm and were closed all weekend. Talk about timing. I spoke to the service manager at the marina that will be doing the work at 4:15 and they close at 5pm and are closed for the weekend.

It is baffling to me also. The front mount was attached but I could tell that the pump was a bit skewed and displaced about an inch. Being a mechanical engineer who designs pumps for a living you tend to notice things like that in assessing a problem. I had the floorboard up but didn't take the time to get down on that side and look closely with my time constraints. The engine was still very hot and there was water laying alongside it that had not drained back to the bilge through that tube located there becasue it was not high enough to get into the tube.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

k9th wrote:The other engine is identical but mirror image and the pulleys align as they should.

It is baffling to me also. The front mount was attached but I could tell that the pump was a bit skewed and displaced about an inch. Being a mechanical engineer who designs pumps for a living you tend to notice things like that in assessing a problem.
The pump is held to the mount by 2 bolts. It sounds like they have loosened, allowing the pump to skew. This would account for the misaligned pulleys and the engine throwing the belt. The pressure exerted by the belt could have wedged the pump in the mount so the pump doesn't appear to be loose, but I would think it must be. Something had to have moved for the pulleys to get out of alignment and the pump is the most logical place to check. If the mounting bolts are tight I’ll be more baffled and you will be back to square one
Gerry
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Well we were able to complete our trip this past weekend. We left Cheboygan, MI Friday morning at 10:00am with stops in Frankfort, Muskegon, and South Haven before arriving in Michigan City, IN at 8:45am Sunday morning. We traveled 7 hours on Friday, 10 hours on Saturday, and 2 1/2 hours on Sunday. We had the three best weather and water days in a row that I have seen on the great lakes in nearly 6 years. Sunny skies, waves calm to 1 foot, and air temps in the upper 60's all 345 miles. What a great adventure.

I was able to teach my wife to drive the new boat and navigate with the GPS while we were in such calm waters and she loved it. My decision to hire someone to teach me techniques for differential steering paid off greatly as we were in some very tight situations in some large and crowded marinas and all went well.

Some statistics:

678 total miles traveled
35.9 actual hours travel time
18.88mph average speed
843.5 gallons of fuel consumed at an average of $2.78/gallon
Power setting at 2900 RPM yielded 23.5 GPH total fuel burn
Cheapest gas was $2.32
Most expensive gas was $3.53
4 quarts of oil used

SeaDog is very happy in her new home in Michigan City, IN where she has already drawn a lot of compliments for her lines and classic styling.

Thanks for all your help.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good Job !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Congratulations, that is a great accomplishment. I envy you. I can hear in your comments that there is a great love affair growing. What is the next adventure? Whatever it is I'm sure it will be exciting.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Nice trip! Glad you made it OK ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Glad to hear....take care
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for taking the time to document your trip. I really enjoyed following along. Good luck with your new boat.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Boy am I good

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

If you follow the threads back and look at my post on Miles per gallon, I said to plan on about .8 miles per gallon. I did the math on your last posting with miles/gallons and got .8037

I'm either lucky or good.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

TADTOOMUCH -

How about we just say you're good - and thanks again for the info. I used it to anticipate our expenses and you were right on. It was a great help.

I thought about you when we were passing New Buffalo Sunday morning a little after 9am. I was about 4 miles off shore in beautiful sunshine on basically calm waters and enjoying the ride.

We plan to come to New Buffalo for a weekend sometime soon and perhaps I can look you up while we are there.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin