cruising speed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Re: cruising speed

Post by K4282 »

255hp out of a chevy 350
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Bucsbiz wrote:Ok, brand new dual engine big boater here. learning a lot from you guys. The boat I bought had the original chrysler 318's replaced with 2 ford 351 cleveland cobra's. Boat tops out at about 31 on the gauge.

First question, what is a good cruising speed for this boat and about what should the rpm's register?

Second, what would a good prop size be for this boat?

Third, and last for now, I've got a weird trim tab "switch" when I move it, I don't really see a lot of difference in the trim like I would in my previous ski boat. How can verify the trim is actually working?

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sure i'll have more and I look forward to learning from you all!!

Bryan and Nicole
We need some more info . What year and model is the boat ? what is your gear ratio ? What is the HP of your engines ? Are you sure they are Clevelands ? Almost all marine 351s are winsor , clevelands are not that comon in marine
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

prowlersfish wrote:
Bucsbiz wrote:Ok, brand new dual engine big boater here. learning a lot from you guys. The boat I bought had the original chrysler 318's replaced with 2 ford 351 cleveland cobra's. Boat tops out at about 31 on the gauge.

First question, what is a good cruising speed for this boat and about what should the rpm's register?

Second, what would a good prop size be for this boat?

Third, and last for now, I've got a weird trim tab "switch" when I move it, I don't really see a lot of difference in the trim like I would in my previous ski boat. How can verify the trim is actually working?

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sure i'll have more and I look forward to learning from you all!!

Bryan and Nicole
We need some more info . What year and model is the boat ? what is your gear ratio ? What is the HP of your engines ? Are you sure they are Clevelands ? Almost all marine 351s are winsor , clevelands are not that comon in marine
1. Hull speed. Not over 1800 rpms. Whatever gets you to that speed.

2. Whatever prop that allows you engines to turn its top rated RPM's.

3. If you push down on the left tab, the boat should turn right. If you push on the right tab, it should go left. (Or maybe its the other way around...one way or the other) Boat hook works too.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index