1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Todd, I think there's room to enjoy both sides of that coin. I'd be willing to bet that each and every time you're out cruising, you'll be experiencing the pleasure of knowing that you've got your own creation rumbling along under your feet.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Guess what i'm picking up tomorrow?!?!? i'll give you a hint, their really heavy and burn alot of fuel!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Finally Have the engines back! Naturally in true form I decided yesterday that I was not satisfied with the duplicolor spray paint that I had already painted the two transmissions and all of the brackets and pulleys. everything was getting scratched when being handled gently. I spoke with the owner of a commercial painting company who im friends with. He owns three 46 something foot fountain speed boats with the really pretty and expensive engines and decided to go with his recommendations. I purchased Sherwin williams macropoxy 646 epoxy primer and Acrolin 218 polyurthane top coat in "turbine blue" which is close to the crusader blue but lighter.
Picked up both engines this morning as well as 300lbs of sand blast sand. taped off all the seals and ports on the trannies and spent the next 5 hours sandblasting everything that I had previously painted!!!! just have to finish blasting the manifolds risers and elbows and then off to paint!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

The swim platform is finished and ending up using black rustolem paint on the door trim with 4 coats of varnish. turned out pretty good.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Looks BEAUTIFUL!!

I'm worried you'll start waxing the bilge though :shock:
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

LOL! I actually thought about putting another coat of bilge paint on before I drop the engines in. I think I need therapy!!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gitchisum wrote:Looks BEAUTIFUL!!

I'm worried you'll start waxing the bilge though :shock:
No need ,I bet he is clear coating the bilge . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

Awesome!
1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Just worked a few 12 hr days! finished sandblasting everything yesterday. stripped the paint off the heat exchangers with a chemical stripper. Set up a redneck spray booth today and got all the bolt on stuff primed as well as the transmissions and manifolds. Will shoot the engines tomorrow with primer and probably put a second coat on some of the stuff from today.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

it is abundantly clear to me that this boat will be far, far better when she splashes than she was when splashed for the first time.

NO QUESTION ABOUT THIS FACT !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Hey Todd,

Let me premise this that I am a trojan guy, but I wanted to get your perspective. You've done an amazing job, and spent a tremendous amount of time and money on this project, and the boat will be better than new. My question is, why a Trojan and not a manufacturer that has more of a following like a Bertram or Viking? Again, I'm a Trojan guy, but I think we all know that we aren't going to get the draw of a Bert if we try to sell. I've watched 10.8 Expresses sit in yacht world for years.

You do have an amazing boat.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Hey Todd,

Let me premise this that I am a trojan guy, but I wanted to get your perspective. You've done an amazing job, and spent a tremendous amount of time and money on this project, and the boat will be better than new. My question is, why a Trojan and not a manufacturer that has more of a following like a Bertram or Viking? Again, I'm a Trojan guy, but I think we all know that we aren't going to get the draw of a Bert if we try to sell. I've watched 10.8 Expresses sit in yacht world for years.

You do have an amazing boat.
My take on it ( right or wrong )

Different boats/markets Viking has always been top of the line and you paid for it on day 1 . Trojan F boats were well built but they were mid level with good quality and fit and finish . Bertram were build tuff with a deep V hull the could take on heavy seas that would stop most others , very popular with the die hard fisherman . They gained the can't break it rep . Fit and finish on the Bertram's was at best like the Trojan F boats . The Internal line of boats while a better boat in may ways then the F boats targeted many markets and did not focus on the sport fish market as Bertram did .

Add to the fact Viking is still one of the best boats still built with factory support for even the early ones . Bertram also is still being built at high end level , so being still in business helps the value a lot I believe .

And how many Gas Bertrams and Vikings do you see on the market ?

With all that said most boats stay on the market for a long time .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I don't want to hijack this great thread. This commonly comes up when I research repowering with diesels. I often hear, "I can see it if you had a Viking, Bert, or Tiara, but not a Trojan." We've seen some incredible projects on this forum, including Natchamp, Todd, RWS, etc. Just wondering their thinking with spending the money on an International.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The thinking is that if you plan on selling after you restore, then you're looking at it as an investment because you expect a return. Rarely does it pay off when you try to sell it for what was put into it for many reasons unless you know what you're doing. However, not all restorations are done with an investment in mind. Some are strickly because its the boat they are most happy with for whatever the personal reasons and have no intentions on selling, so value at the end of it all is irrelevant. Value is simply what someone is willing to pay, if its not for sale, then it doesn't matter how much was put into it or what someone else's perceived value is. Now if you change your mind five years from now and decide to sell, then the whole excercize switches to an investment and you can't expect that a buyer will pay the dollar value of the restoration for many reasons, like age. No matter what you've put into it, it'll still be a 30 or 40 year old boat and that will affect a buyer's perceived value. And that applies to all brands including Berts and Vikings.

If there's emotions involved and she's your baby and want no other, then go for it no matter the brand. If it's an investment, be careful.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

just off the top of my head....

reliability

safety

increased range AND better Cruising speeds

RELIABILITY

versatility

SAFETY

overall VALUE

I have upgraded all the mechanical systems in my vessel, including HVAC

given her beam and length, a fair comparison would be a 38' express - cost new? maybe 300K with NEW diesels - maybe 400 ? I really don't know.

I have a far better hull than a comparable Sea Ray and other than the soft goods, a NEW BOAT.

after 5 or 10 years my repower will fetch more and sell FASTER than a similar vessel with gas engines

Even if I repowered with new Crusaders, she would then still be a 10 year old repower - no different that any other similar boat.

the diesels are SAFE and I know that if the batteries, solenoids and starter are OK - she is going to start

She will always bring us home safe.

I could never have done a trip to the Keys with the 454's without a fuel stop ON THE WAY.

That fuel stop translates into a two day trip.

Add in the difference between cruising at 15 kts and 21 kts - well, we can do more in a day out on the water or on a weekend than we could before.

A trip to the keys would have involved 4 days of travel.

Now we leave at 6 am and we're there at 2 PM

Plus we could do it (if we had to) on just about ONE TANK OF FUEL - DOWN AND BACK.

Also, off road diesel delivered to my house or at the marina is far cheaper than gasoline.

all that said, RELIABILITY and SAFETY were the main factors.

my tired Crusaders had (at the time) 20 year old (leaking) heat exchangers, hoses, coolers transmissions and other bolt on gear, none of which was properly maintained by the P.O.

The engine mounts were shot - especially the out board wood block risers - the PO had one secured with fiberglass mat.

the cost to PROPERLY rebuild exceeded the cost of new Captains Choice fuel injected 8.1 liter Crusaders with new gear, however to do it properly, I needed larger raw water plumbing and a thicker shaft and probably different props.

At that point, the DIFFERENCE between the diesels and the new Crusaders became THE decision making point.

Plus in 2005 I was still able to buy NON-Electronic, mechanical diesels at a realistic price vs.the newest common rail high end stuff.

Plus I had already replaced my genny with a diesel, three years prior.

So its all about using the boat.

She gets more use with the diesels than she would with the gas.

Simply put - we can do more with her, more trips, more sunsets, more overnights more EVERYTHING than we could have otherwise.

plus I love that damned boat.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED