Detroit Diesel 671TI Rebuild

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

bummer,great post
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

And we lost all that info of King Pauly working on the 1st Godspeed with Capt. John Smith. :lol:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

I missed the two pages that were lost what is the status? Are you still making great headway? I have been very impressed with everything so far I can't wait to hear the results.
1996 Trojan 440
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Love to see some pix/video of honing the bores ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I got a bit disgusted with losing the pics and comments but I will try to repost the lost pics when I can.
I ended up blowing out my back so the work on the boat came to a grinding halt.
I hope to get back on it this weekend if all goes well.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

sorry about posts, but reall sorry about your back. Been there, done that, had back surgery - now I'm VERY careful how I left.

Best of luck with your back and the engines.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

Very sorry to hear about your back. I too wish you were close I would love to help out and learn a thing or two. Keep us posted and get well soon.
1996 Trojan 440
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sorry about your back... been there, done that. For me it only took 2 years of massage therapy and chiro to get things under control.

Slightly off topic but a couple of related questions to your rebuild : how many hours did / does the engine have on it, what kind of fuel consumption / burn rate were you getting, and what is the weight of the boat?

I am starting to get the itch to move onwards and upwards... the wife and I have been looking (at listings anyways) at some bigger boats, and some of them have mid-80's vintage Detroit 6-71TIs. I am certainly not a diesel guy, so looking for any info I can find to help educate myself. I have read a few different opinions re how reliable the TI series are given the high horsepower vs displacement (one post saying they need major overhauls every 1500 hours?), and I am trying to get a reasonable understanding of fuel consumption. The boats we are looking at are potentially in the 40,000 pound range.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Any updates ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Hello all,
It's been a rough past 6 weeks or so as my back is still giving me issues and I am having health issues with both of my parents so not much progress has been made with the engine.
I have been able to get the bores measured, honed, measured, honed and measured.
They cleaned up nicely and I only ended up having to go with .002 oversize kits so I was happy about that. They were also perfectly round so that was a plus.
Most of the parts are here now so the next step will be to do the final fitting on the sleeves, then pull them back out to load. We are going to fit them a bit tighter than they were from the factory.
Before installing them, I have decided to install new front and rear main seals along with new main bearings so I will get that done before the final install of the kits.
Hopefully, things will start to move along now. Summer will be here before we know it!
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I forgot to mention,
Pretty interesting the way the pistons look. They are two piece design with a seal between the pieces.
There is a slipper bearing that goes on the lower part of the piston pin hole, and the connecting rod bolts to the piston pin with two small bolts.
I guess they can get away with that because these are such a low rpm engine.
I will post some pics so you can see what I am talking about.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Here are a few pics of the air box cleaning.
This is the part of the block that gets the air forced into it through the blower. It then goes into the air box then through the intake ports in the cylinders.

It took a few cases of brake cleaner and a lot of time but they came out pretty well.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Here are a few pics of the block honing.
It was a slow process but all went pretty well.

Here is the hone that we used.

A few pics of the hone in action.

Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

We did not have to take off much material at all and only ended up going .002 oversized with the liners.

Before honing

After honing

That was not the final hone, just a clean up to see how much oversize we were going to need to go. We had to clean it up to get an accurate measurement.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

All of the sleeves were fitted then removed. We will do the final install once we are done with the main bearings and front, rear main seals.

To get to the rear main, we had to remove the flywheel. It sounds easy but that thing is very heavy.
We unbolted the engine coupler and used two of the mounting bolt holes to bolt a bracket that we made. We then attached a strap type come a long to the bracket to support the weight once it was removed.
Here is a pic of the flywheel once removed.

We just kind of pulled it out of the way then tied it off.

Pic of seal in rear of engine

Last edited by Jerry on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.