Chromalox Cabin Heaters

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oil&water
Moderate User

Chromalox Cabin Heaters

Post by oil&water »

Our F36 is equipped with two Chromalox FWH-1000 series space heaters. One is mounted below the helm and one in the V area of the Master Stateroom walk way.

Were these original and does anyone still use them?
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Chromalox Cabin Heaters

Post by prowlersfish »

Mine has them ( not sure of the brand) and mine came on the boat .They are listed on the bill of sale from Trojan . And I do not use then do to them showing their age . They one in the salon is not under the helm on mine its on the starboard wall .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Both of our A/C units are reverse cycle and heat well. I did not realize that when we bought the boat, but one cold day, I decided to check and was pleasantly surprised.

We also have one of these small heaters that does a good job taking the chill off, but is not adequate to really heat the boat on a very cold day. It is a help in the spring when the water is too cold to run the reverse cycle heat. Looks like they are currently on clearance. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=2

They do draw 12.5A at full tilt and that should be worthy of some thought if your wiring is old. One of our circuit breakers failed the first time we used this heater, luckily in a no connection mode. I did some research and it appears that this breaker had problems and was recalled many years ago, so I can't really blame the wiring. It was a 15A breaker and probably tried to trip and started arcing until it failed. You can see the burned contact in the lower right of the photo.
Breaker.jpg
Breaker.jpg (205.94 KiB) Viewed 6828 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

After searching and searching for the Cruisair manual for my system, it looks like the Type F compressor I have is a reverse cycle unit. Evidentially the three dial switch that only shows cooling was never changed out when the new compressor was installed. I guess I will remove the Chromalox heaters during the interior remodel.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

We had two of those electric heaters in the f32, factory install, one under the stairs and one in the berth ,they were great when the boat was on the hard, never used them otherwise.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Our Cruisair controls have three knobs. The top is Stop-Start-Run, the middle is fan speed and the bottom is temperature. There is no indication that we have heat and no switch from heat to A/C, just the thermostat setting the temp. Perhaps yours works the same way.

You can convert to digital controls, but that is rather pricey! http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=1193
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

WayWeGo wrote:Our Cruisair controls have three knobs. The top is Stop-Start-Run, the middle is fan speed and the bottom is temperature. There is no indication that we have heat and no switch from heat to A/C, just the thermostat setting the temp. Perhaps yours works the same way.
My last boat showed heat towards the left of the temperature dial. As I got close to heat, the reversing valve would kick in and the unit would switch to heat.

Does your system work the same way... minus the heat indication?
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

mikeandanne wrote:We had two of those electric heaters in the f32, factory install, one under the stairs and one in the berth ,they were great when the boat was on the hard, never used them otherwise.
Do they seem to work okay? Mine look to be in good shape, minus their age and some minor corrosion.

Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I have 2 of these in my TrI Fly. 1 in the aft cabin. It was under the ladder/stairs, now in the head bulkhead wall and a second one was built into the starboard settee. It will be relocated.
They worked and looked ok after a little cleaning and are actually very quiet.
Thought I would keep them on board so I have an electric heating option.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

oil&water wrote:My last boat showed heat towards the left of the temperature dial. As I got close to heat, the reversing valve would kick in and the unit would switch to heat.

I believe the temperature dial is marked "warmer" and "cooler" but would have to look to make sure. I couldn't find a good photo...

The reversing valve operation is automatic based on the setting of the temperature dial and the cabin temperature.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote:
oil&water wrote:My last boat showed heat towards the left of the temperature dial. As I got close to heat, the reversing valve would kick in and the unit would switch to heat.

I believe the temperature dial is marked "warmer" and "cooler" but would have to look to make sure. I couldn't find a good photo...

The reversing valve operation is automatic based on the setting of the temperature dial and the cabin temperature.
That's how mine are . Only one has the heat function but both controls look the same .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Mine worked fine as they should,just vacuumed off the dust.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My reverse cycle happens automatically. When you turn the dial to warmer it will actuate the reversing valve and magic heat which works fine. They are cruiseaires. There is no dedicated cool heat switch other than the know labeled cool and warm.

There digital aftermarket controls. A search of this web site will show them.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink