Rudder Stuffing Box

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

randyp
Active User

Rudder Stuffing Box

Post by randyp »

When we got back from the canal trip I removed a home-built locker that had been installed across the length of the rear of the cockpit on our F-26. Yesterday I finally got around to checking under the small access panel over the rudder. I noticed that there was a small amount of water weeping up the rudder shaft and into the bilge. Not enough to be concerned about, but it did answer the question about where the water comes from when there is water pushing up against the transom while at the dock when there is a chop or swell. I've noticed water rising in the bilge of the cabin when we have this condition at dock (usually during a storm).

I tightened the packing and it seemed to reduce, but not stop, the water. I'm thinking that there should be NO water coming up the rudder shaft as it's not in need of water lubrication like the prop shaft. I then thought maybe the packing is stiff and needs to be replaced. I have no problem with the the prop stuffing box and packing - it drips the normal amount of 3-5 per minute.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"