89 mid cabin fuel starve

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mrrudely
Sporadic User

89 mid cabin fuel starve

Post by mrrudely »

my port engine was starved for fuel
I had to open up the fuel crossover to keep it running
floscans showed little fuel from port while the starboard made up the difference
I have had problems in the past that were caused by a clogged anti syphon valve
I am currently running without an anti syphon valve and Racor filters
I have not checked the filter yet but I suspect it is going to show a lot of debris

the port fuel sending unit does not work (gauge at dash is ok)
does anyone know if the float could have disintegrated causing debris in the tank?

thx
rr
10 meter mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Re: 89 mid cabin fuel starve

Post by BobCT »

I would say that's unlikely. I replaced both of the senders (one failed) at the same time and the floats themselves were physically ok. Be careful running without anti-siphon valves (for obvious reasons).
1988 10m mid cabin
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

I took the port fuel filter off today
It was really nasty
I will compare it with the starboard side in the next day or two
How often should they be changed? engine hours or calendar?
Also I was planing on installing the anti-syphon valve after the filter
The filter is close to the fuel outlet and almost the same height
If I leave it right at the tank I'm afraid it will get clogged in no time
10 meter mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I went through this when I first bought my boat (14 years ago). 3-4 filter changes and clogged anti siphon valves until the old gas/ethanol worked its way through. This was before I installed Racor filters and was just using the factory canister filter and carb inlet end. I'm in the minority and actually a fan of ethanol fuel because it does such a great job of cleaning the entire fuel system. But, you do pay the price up front. Once it's clean, it stays clean. I'm seasonal and never had any fuel/water separation issues using Startron.

Once I got through that phase (about 3/4 of a tank) it was fine. I've never had a fuel related issue since and now just use metal pre screen filters going into Racors (now different engines but same setup on my 454's for over ten years).

Is this a new problem? I thought about getting my fuel pumped/polished but decided to just run it until the problem went away.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

got the starboard filter off today
no debris in the bowl
the problem is only with the port tank
excessive amount of debris
is it possible the float on the sending unit was made of cork and has disintegrated?
the debris looks like ground up cork
the filter is mounted high
I am planning on installing the anti syphon valve after the filter
10 meter mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I didn't think the floats were cork but didn't look that closely because that's not why mine failed. They're probably end of life anyway given the age so it might be worth doing them regardless AND you'll get a good look into the tank at the same time.

You have to drill a hole in the deck and install a deck plate (under each boarding step) to get the senders out, no way around that. I was able to do it with 3" deck plates but it's really precise measuring, no margin for error. I wanted as small as possible but if you went with a 4" or bigger it would be easier to drill.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin