Deck repair option Injectadeck

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Deck repair option Injectadeck

Post by prowlersfish »

Like many other older boats I found my Trojan suffering from soft bow disease. Did not look forward to cutting the top glass open, So I looked at different options. Living with it? Paying someone? After much research, I decided on "Injectadeck". Reviews were mixed, but found the negative ones never used the actual product. Also spoke with several users (2 on here) They were positive. I expect some negative comments, but let me be clear about what Injectadeck is and is not. Injectadeck is a 2 part structural expanding foam water helps in the cure. It is a closed-cell foam. It flows and expands in voids and displaces mussy balsa. What it is not. It is not an epoxy or an open cell foam like great stuff or other 1 part foams and it's not Gorella glue.(but has some similarities). I drilled the holes to 3/16 and after filling very hard to see. Deck feels good now, would I use it again? Yes
Attachments
deck repair.jpg 2.jpg
deck repair.jpg 2.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
deck repar 4.jpg
deck repar 4.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
deck repair.jpg
deck repair.jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
deck repaire done.jpg
deck repaire done.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
Small_Kit-2.jpg
Small_Kit-2.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 11421 times
Last edited by prowlersfish on Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Boppy
Sporadic User

Re: Deck repair option Injectadeck

Post by Boppy »

Looking good. I’ve repaired sections of the bow deck by removing the top fg layer with a vibrating saw, replaced the punky balsa core with like material, epoxy coat the balsa, overcoat the balsa and replace the deck section, saving the nonskid pattern. Ran a thin bead of West epoxy in the saw lines, using their caulking tube with mixing tip. So far came out good, and I’ve done it to 2 places with one or two to go. I repainted the bow deck with Petit EZ Poxy. Looks almost original. I Ike your approach, though. Next summer I’ll give it a try.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Boppy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:06 pm Looking good. I’ve repaired sections of the bow deck by removing the top fg layer with a vibrating saw, replaced the punky balsa core with like material, epoxy coat the balsa, overcoat the balsa and replace the deck section, saving the nonskid pattern. Ran a thin bead of West epoxy in the saw lines, using their caulking tube with mixing tip. So far came out good, and I’ve done it to 2 places with one or two to go. I repainted the bow deck with Petit EZ Poxy. Looks almost original. I Ike your approach, though. Next summer I’ll give it a try.
Thank you. I am pretty pleased with it so far. Cutting it open is the best way, but it's a lot more work and you need days of good weather. This is pretty easy and goes pretty quickly. And I have heard from others it's holding up well over time. For this old guy, it was the right choice
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Martino

Post by Martino »

What did you finish off the deck with after you sanded down the foam? And aslo I assume that product doesnt conitnue to exband?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Being a 2 parts the foam expands and cures quickly. I clean out the 3/16 hole and fill it with epoxy.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Martino

Post by Martino »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:12 am Being a 2 parts the foam expands and cures quickly. I clean out the 3/16 hole and fill it with epoxy.
Thanks for the info and answers on this product. I may try it on the future. I just dont want to run into any lumps from the application as it expands and moves.
Last edited by Martino on Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Martino wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:18 am
prowlersfish wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:12 am Being a 2 parts the foam expands and cures quickly. I clean out the 3/16 hole and fill it with epoxy.
Thanks for the info and answers on this product. I may try it on the future. I just done want to run into any lumps from the application as it expands and moves.
There is a danger of that so you need to keep a lookout, you can deal with it as in cures. Honestly, I think I can feel a very slight lump in one area, can't see it. And never felt for any before.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels