Tanks below the bilge? F-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oldsun

Tanks below the bilge? F-32

Post by oldsun »

Hi to all, I have and am new to a Trojan F-32. Is there a tank or cavity "below" the bilge? If so, how big, from were to were? If not, what is under my bilge? When I removed the forward pump, at the aft end of v berth, I found a cavity and have pumped out 8 gl of water so far. What say you? :cry: :?:
USMC '64-'68

SEMPER FI
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I belive what you have found is the hollow keel.
Welcome to the forums !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oldsun

Post by oldsun »

So if it is the "hollow" keel then water would make it "Not Hollow" and I should get it dry and seal it or-- What is SOP on the hollow keel and thanks?

Scott :?:
USMC '64-'68

SEMPER FI
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Unless your having issues I would not worry about it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

while I was replacing my stringers there was this annoying drip of water that appeared in the bilge, it was coming up from the false floor. So I drilled a hole and pumped the water out (a few gallons, probably a few years old) I think this was part of the stink I had in the bilge.

So I cut the false bottom in a section in the bow pump area so I can put a bilge pump pickup directly in the opening

This picture if from the bow looking back (I am facing the stern).

The big reason I did this and not try to seal it up was due to the factory fiberglass job in the engine room had noticeable pin holes in some areas where it was thin and was letting water into this false area and I would never be able to seal all of it up. So I did the opposit and drilled more holes, BIGGER ones at that 1-1/2" guys :P to let the water travel forward especially since she sits bow heavy at the dock.

Not sure why trojan did this since it was bound to let water in but not out, mine leaked from day one. :(
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
oldsun

Post by oldsun »

Mac, where in the engine room did you drill these 1 1/2" holes, in relation to the engine stringers? I have a hunch the same thing is happening on my boat. As I was chasing the leaks on my boat, all interior, it never accured to me that water might be coming up. It was and your experience seems to be my problem also. Thanks

Scott
USMC '64-'68

SEMPER FI
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

I haven't done it myself but I know someone who drilled into the back side of the keel and placed a small drain plug towards the bottom, where the water could be drained. I don't know if I would like a drain on the outside of my keel though. Besides being a little bit of a drag, through the water, if you clip something, and knock it off, it would allow the keel to fill with water. Just another way to drain the water.

John
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

oldsun, I drilled the hole in the engine room right at the bulkhead between the galley and engine room.
If the packing shafts leak then the water will run down the engine side of the stringers and through the opening or clearances on the bottom of the stringer right before the bulkheads and down the hole I drilled in the false floor.
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I don't understand either why Trojan tried to seal the keel on these boats. They will fill up with water and stink like a rotted corpse. I cut a two inch square hole in mine between the engines just aft of the bulkhead and drilled a 1 inch hole in it up forward so the forward bilge pump will pump it out sitting at the dock. Under way all the water goes aft where the aft bilge pump gets it. Stuffing box and rain water from the cockpit keep it flushed out. No more stink!!!
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina