11 meter Trojan rudder alignment.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

reelfishin
Moderate User

11 meter Trojan rudder alignment.

Post by reelfishin »

From what I can find out about our boat the rudders are to be 1.5 degrees angled out. I would really think they would be angled in that much. I did notice the rudders are off center to the props. They are offcenter toward the center of the stern. Can anyone verify that 1.5 degrees angled out (looking at the stern of the boat from behind the boat) is correct?
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The spec for my F36 is 2 1/2 deg +- 1/4 deg If mine were at 1 1/2 deg I would leave it alone . BTW thats angled out at the back of the ruder
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Ok you say they are angled out on yours on the back of the rudder. We do have a sheet that came with the boat that says 1.5 degrees. I just wanted to verify this. It seems to me it would be better having it inward instead of outward. I am thinking of the wake the boat makes at cruising speed. Now the next thing is which is the best way to measure the angle? Is there a simple way?
Anyway thanks for the information. I believe it is correct then. We have it dry docked for a couple days and I want to set the rudders. We found that they are not right.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The info came out of book for my trojan . My book says to messure the front edge of the rudders side to side then do the rear . The distance should be 7/8" that would give you 2.5 deg. if you want 1.5 deg. go for a 1/2" that will be close . to be honest as long as you have some toe in or out you should be fine . if you had no toe you would end up with a rattle from the steering linkage.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

The ruder is offset so the shaft can be pulled without dropping the ruder.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Yes it does make sense to offset the rudders so the shafts can be pulled.
I will take a measurement of my rudders and see what is happening. The reason we need to check ours is that we found one way out of alignment. It was not bent just not adjusted right.
Like I said our boat is out of the water right now and we are doing some maintenance on it. We also will have the bottom painted. We don't want any problems while fishing this season.
I sure appreciate the information. Thanks.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

sorry to see you on land I fished today and will be out in the morning .
was the one photo taken in Sara's creek ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Our boat is on stands at Dandy Haven Marina. It will be out of the water for a week or so. We are going over everything and making sure we are ready for winter and fishing.
Our boat has 671 Detroit diesels in it. We do keep the block heaters on all year round. We find it much easier to start the engines with block heaters. We will plug them in the night before we launch to make sure they are nice and warm before we start them.
The nice thing is we looked at the port engine and it is in great shape. When you can't see the back side one often wonders what is happening over there. It was nice and clean and everything looked great. We will move the seats and check the starboard engine soon.
Anyway Prowlersfish, I hope you have a great day fishing. We will be out there looking for the big boy soon.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I haul My boat there also . I keep my boat at southall in the salt ponds 20 minites away by boat 5 by land. fishing was poor today ( and yesterday ) but had fun anyway. got have block heaters with diesels
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

so what are you both fishing for this time of year?
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Yep we will be looking for the big boys when it comes to striped bass also called Rockfish. Ofcourse everyone is looking for the big one.

We keep our boat at Salt Ponds. Can't wait to get her back there. It will be during next week or the end of next week before we can get back there. The rain may hold us up that long. We used to keep the boat at Dare Marina. By moving to Salt Ponds we can save 100 dollars a trip in fuel. As for the block heaters we would not have diesel without them. It is surprising to us to find someone who has diesels and does not have block heaters.

I can not believe Salt Ponds cannot keep a restaurant there. I guess there is to much imput from the Condo Association. I hear they have to approve the menu. To many fingers in the pie mess it up.
I used to live in a condo, Moved out when I found out that the Condo meetings was just a place for people to bitch. I did not need that.
We really like being at Salt Ponds. Friendly people run the Marina and all the boaters we have met have been great. I think we have been there three years now. Great place.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I guess you have to pass by me every time you go in and out of the pond.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

We are located I believe at the end of N dock. We are right on the channel. You must be located across from salt ponds at the marina there. Am I right?
I see fishing was not that good for you the last two times. I know the feeling. My son and I have gone that route many times. But we do catch now and then and that makes it all worth while.

Here is a picture of Amberjack caught at the South Tower. We were the only ones there. Not a bad day.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Correct We are a cross from the first peir at salt ponds you come to coming in from the bay .Its the only peir that has a floting dock at the end.

Nice catch !
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels