1972 trojanwood hull

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lbswaff

1972 trojanwood hull

Post by lbswaff »

I'm currently fixing some rot on the hull of my boat. It is double hulled with planks then plywood. Can anyone tell me if I should replace the plywood with marine or pressure treated The plywood will then be covered with planks then caulked. Thanks for all of the help Billy Swafford
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

Billy...Marine plywood 4 sure! All plywood in a boat should be marine. It's expensive I know...but that's all you can use. Better yet, don't buy the stuff from Home Depot if you can help it. If you can order from a marine supply house, it may be much better stuff. Some marine plywood is made so well, it can stay wet for decades without falling apart.

for example:
http://www.marine-plywood.us/mahogany_meranti.htm
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Have you looked around http://www.woodenboat.com forums for ideas and info of local sources of marine ply?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Marine plywood
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Another factor that separates marine plywood from other types is there are no voids in the inner plys. Each sheet of wood is perfectly butted to the piece next to it in the inner plys. You end up with a sheet of pylwood with a solid core. There are no channels for water to flow through.

Trojan sprayed the inside of their wood hulls with Copinol. This is a fungicide and preservative. ( My spelling of Copinol is probably not correct.) It was some very potent stuff and is now band. You may want to treat the plywood with today’s preservatives before you install it, pay particular attention to the edges. That’s where the rot will start.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

:arrow:
Last edited by alexander38 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Use Smith's CPES (clear penatrating epoxy sealer) to seal the wood. I have used it on all my wood boat projects. The product is quite volatile and smelly (expensive too) but works very will It is used extensivly by wood boat restorers and builders. Google "Smiths clear penatrating epoxy sealer" for lots of info.Jimbo36