Previous Owners (how many can relate)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mac32
Moderate User

Previous Owners (how many can relate)

Post by Mac32 »

OK, I am not one to slam other people too often with less knowledge than I, because many times I am actually the one lacking knowledge but some things just hit me last night while working on the boat. Soooo I must vent....

For example I am currently re-doing thru hull fittings below the water line that had no backer plates and were constructed of parts from the hardware store, but at least the new deck wash worked before it sunk the boat.
-Any water fittings he replaced were black iron or galvanized
-Most of the wiring I replaced and rewired used masking tape at the connections
-His idea of replacing c-clips on shift cables is bailing wire wrapped around the groove multiple times
-His version of proper speaker mounting for cheap automotive speakers was any high quality teak panel was deserving of a big non repairable hole in it. grrrrr
-Oh yeah and the varnish on the brand new teak deck with caulked joints lasted less than 1 season (who would have though varnish on rubber seam caulk would not have held up.) uuuugh
-And last but not least this guy was convinced you did not need to bed any new deck hardware, and that self tapping screws were accetable to use on gelcoat............Hey its a new way to start cracks without a sledge hammer.

Maybe I am just being too critical, but I now have respect for the boaters in my marina who wont take on projects because they admit not knowing how to do it......It sure beats doing it wrong, atleast for the next guy.

Done venting now........
MAC32 "Fingers crossed for Flotation"
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

I hear ya - my situation is that the previous owner(s) decided that when they replaced anything (eg: bilge pump), they would just leave the old part(s) there. So i now have 2 pumps, a mess of wiring that I will have to trace, and not sure which is which.
They also removed all the labels for the switches on the lower helm, but didn't replace any of them.
:roll: :roll: :evil:

Guess the lesson is to only buy new!!
8)
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Another great case for having a competent Survey at purchase. At least you will know these things going in, unless your surveyor gets dropped off at the boat because he is blind. LOL
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Too true!! GOOD surveys can pay for themselves.....
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

I agree, unfortunately the surveyor was in the salesman pocket, which is why he missed the rotten stringers.........but it was too many years before I made the connection for any legal recourse.

So always go find your own surveyor and leverage references......
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Things learned:

There is never a dumb or stupid question asked by anyone. Many folks have gotten into boating with very little knowledge of boats or the mechanics of how most things work. It's not their fault, it's their passion maybe...to try new things and enjoy.

However, during this, they (we) realize that boats are expensive! If everything done on a boat was like an automobile and taken in for repairs, I don't think anyone would own one! :roll:

I've been in the automobile repair business for the past 30 years and will do most of my repairs, maint, etc. For the other things out of my realm, I let the professionals do. I see things come to me from DIYer's all the time...at least I give them credit for trying. (sometimes...)
Over the years, I've listened and learned and try to pass what I can forward, hopefully most of it good. :)

What would we do if we couldn't (insert mumbling, throwing a wrench, cursing here) thank the previous (you or me) owners for leaving us such pleasure?! :lol: I find myself biting my tongue from time to time, of previous repairs!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
gjrylands
Moderate User

Re: Previous Owners (how many can relate)

Post by gjrylands »

Mac32 wrote:OK, I am not one to slam other people too often with less knowledge than I, because many times I am actually the one lacking knowledge but some things just hit me last night while working on the boat. Soooo I must vent....

For example I am currently re-doing thru hull fittings below the water line that had no backer plates and were constructed of parts from the hardware store, but at least the new deck wash worked before it sunk the boat.
-Any water fittings he replaced were black iron or galvanized
-Most of the wiring I replaced and rewired used masking tape at the connections
-His idea of replacing c-clips on shift cables is bailing wire wrapped around the groove multiple times
-His version of proper speaker mounting for cheap automotive speakers was any high quality teak panel was deserving of a big non repairable hole in it. grrrrr
-Oh yeah and the varnish on the brand new teak deck with caulked joints lasted less than 1 season (who would have though varnish on rubber seam caulk would not have held up.) uuuugh
-And last but not least this guy was convinced you did not need to bed any new deck hardware, and that self tapping screws were accetable to use on gelcoat............Hey its a new way to start cracks without a sledge hammer.

Maybe I am just being too critical, but I now have respect for the boaters in my marina who wont take on projects because they admit not knowing how to do it......It sure beats doing it wrong, atleast for the next guy.

Done venting now........
There's a difference between not knowing and not caring. Unfortunately there are those out there that could care less about making proper marine repairs and installations. I’ve seen some making repairs with treated wood and drywall screws, and wiring done with household wire. Sometimes they know they are going to sell the boat and just want to pretty it up before the sale at the cheapest possible price. When buying a boat, you should be looking at the boat with both eyes open.

The saying “Let the buyer beware” is never truer. Unless you are the exception, and few are, you should get a survey before buying.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Getting your own surveyor is good advice. So is, BE PRESENT WHEN THE SURVEY IS BEING DONE AND ASK QUESTIONS!! After all, you are paying for it. Jimbo.
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

Yeah,,,,,,,, I know and I completely agree, I am not trying to be too hard on the previous owner. I am just a little frustrated, it seems 70% of the repairs I am doing at this moment are previous repairs or upgrades regardless of not knowing or not caring they could have been avoided by a little different approach.

One thing interesting to ponder is:
Are more repairs being done with more success now than when they were done 10-15 years ago due to the information availability? (internet) so to give previous owners more credit with the older repairs, they were done without the tools we have today called online instructions (dont tell my wife).

I know that when ever I need to tackle a new project, the first thing I do now is sit down at the computer, research it, then put together a plan in my head (grab a beer to keep my head cool), then move forward with the execution.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

"One thing interesting to ponder is:
Are more repairs being done with more success now than when they were done 10-15 years ago due to the information availability? (internet) so to give previous owners more credit with the older repairs, they were done without the tools we have today called online instructions (dont tell my wife)."

In my mind, absolutely. There is one boating forum out there which I have learned a great deal from, and I know some members here are members there too. If you haven't checked it out yet, visit http://www.Boatered.com
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The pre-purchase survey on mine allowed for a negotiated discount.

I do remember the wire nuts for bilge pump connections.

Lots of black electrical tape everywhere.

The added outruiggers allowed water to run directiy into the horizontal cockpit wood at the top of the gunnels, requiring replacement.

The most dangerous:

1) replacement of breaker toggle switches in the 12v panel with plain old toggle switches.

2) the cockpit wetbar has a referigerator/icemaker in it along with 2 duplex 120v outlets. This was wired with solid household wire, not the correct stranded cable.

3) the solid oak stbd outboard engine mount base was cracked. A large glob of fiberglass was applied, covering the crusader adjustable mounts, the block and the stringers.

4) all the seacocks were frozen in the open position.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

We have all been there. Wiring that looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory. Wiring that didn't go anywhere, it was just there. Standard hardware instead of stainless. Zero backing plates under the fiberglass. You name it and any of us who have been around for a bit have seen it. Example... recently a Pacemaker was towed in that sank. Reason, the front fitting for the drain plug had an attack of corrosion. Zinc, what's a zinc? "Right." The good part is that the guy stuffed a pair of his underwear in the hole. I was surprised that it made it from one river to another to finally be pulled without sinking again.

John
F-31
cookscomp

Post by cookscomp »

Man, just reading this thread is making me want a beer. Maybe two!
"Knot So Fast" 1975 F-26 Illinois River
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I forgot,

for some unknown reason, the bonding system was removed

The shift cables were attached with coat hangar wire

the bottom of the bilge was loaded with fasteners and even a few spark plugs. The bilge bottom was covered in muck.

One of the raw water strainers had been replaced with a compact plastic screen device.

Two standard batteries and one gel cell that wa not wired properly.

And that's just the stuff I can remember from 7 years ago !!!

But everything above the cockpit floor was well maintained and clean.

I am only the 2nd owner. The original owner had this boat for 18 years!
)that says something about the boat itself) The owner was not a technical/mechanical guy and he would only check the oil. His mechanic was a chewing gum & bailing wire guy.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

same kind of stuff here to things i found after the SURVEYOR did his job.
both 3 way valves frozen
one sea cock 1.5" has a crack in it (fwd head) he didn't turn it because the handle was removed
aft stbd cleat loose
winch needs new rope guide (won't pay out past 20')
wire nuts
packing nut on stbd shaft frozen (can't adjust it)
port fuel tank needs need sending unit. won't work after it hits 3/4 then it just drops off to E.
the reefer has a 12v/110v hook up the 12v pig tail wasn't capped off, the guy that put it in left bare wires and shorted out.
port blower hose full of crap and wouldn't pull air
so in short the whole SURVEYOR thing in my mind is a load of $h!t and they're no better than home inspectors (i know about them wife was a realtor) and this guy was recommend by my insurance co. and broker and another boater i know
and as far as suing the P.O.S. to get money from him it would cost more than the repairs. ( i can make them retired Chief Hull Tech U.S.N.)
so the next time i'll tell the surveyor how to do his job and if he doesn't like it i'll find another. Because now i'm a informed boat owner and i'll be his worst nightmare