bow thruster?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kevin babineau
Moderate User

bow thruster?

Post by kevin babineau »

anyone every put one of these in? i think this one is too big......
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/1159267214.html
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Hi Kevin,
Here's a link to a site that has some information on selecting the correct bow thruster. http://www.eastcoastbowthruster.com/ use the technical info tab on the left hand side of the page. Hope it helps,
Matt
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

bow thruster

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

You really need a bow thruster on a Trojan? I can't see the need unless you are talking 44' or larger and then that would be overkill. They are pretty easy to manage even with a single screw.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

i dont need one....im a craigslist addict
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

One of my neighbors put one on his boat, a single engine (not a Trojan). Before installation he was afraid to take the boat out just had a terrible time docking. After instal he had not problem. He describe the installation to me cutting in the bow glassing in the tube and refinishing (a real job that if done improperly could cost you. I will attempt almost anything but the alignment of the tube and having to cut a cirlcle on a slanted surface is not for me. By the way he named his boat ---------
"BOW MOVEMENT"
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

My Dad just mentioned having a Bow thruster installed when I pull out to repaint the bottom in a couple years.
He said he would pay for it so who am I to tell him no.

He knows how much of a help it is with a long boat. He has a 103' House boat that is impossible in the wind.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

There's this guy at our marina who has a single diesel Albin 28 who has a bow thruster... :roll: You ought to watch him go in and out of the marina, using his freakin' bow thruster to steer. Not for maneuvering, for steering down the fairway! Rediculous and annoying listening to that damn motor for 10 minutes.

For twins on a moderate sized vessel, I think you can do without.

My .02 cents.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Stripermann2 wrote:

My .02 cents.
Yea, I can definately do without, it was just something my dad was talking about. It's easy enough to dock, there really is no need unless he just wants to. It would be a fun toy,, but I wouldn't pay to have it done on my boat.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

jwrape wrote:
Stripermann2 wrote:

My .02 cents.
Yea, I can definately do without, it was just something my dad was talking about. It's easy enough to dock, there really is no need unless he just wants to. It would be a fun toy,, but I wouldn't pay to have it done on my boat.
Hell, take his money and buy something you will really enjoy...you know, like a hot tub on the deck, a new tender, big screen for the salon...you get the point! LOL
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Stripermann2 wrote:
jwrape wrote:
Stripermann2 wrote:

My .02 cents.
Hell, take his money and buy something you will really enjoy...you know, like a hot tub on the deck, a new tender, big screen for the salon...you get the point! LOL
Yea, I agree
79' Carver 28' Mariner
robertwrocky@aol.com

bow thruster

Post by robertwrocky@aol.com »

installed in my 32 and love it, my slip has a sw crosswind all summer long, and this makes getting in wonderful.
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Welcome to the forum Robert. Where are you located?
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

A year ago, I saw a BEAUTIFUL 36 Sedan (about a 1968 vintage woodie) with the most god-ugly bow thruster newly attached... and shuddered. The owner has put literally $200K or more into restoring this gorgeous machine; why he would bugger it with this ugly thing I don't know.
Flip side : I know a guy with a Silverton - about a 44 or so MY with aft cabin, full bridge and aft deck enclosures, that is 100% windage. He launched a couple weeks ago. His launch day and haulout day were one and the same. When he took the boat to his slip, the wind caught him and threw him sideways, and he basically t-boned the dock... didn't hole it, but hit hard enought to crack the fibreglass all the way through... Now, 2 weeks later, he has thrusters at bow and stern (in addition to the obvious hull repair)!!!
In both cases, I think is this product they used... http://www.sideshift.com/products/productslinks.htm
Don't think this has enough guts to really manage the Silverton (but his mechanic sold them on the argument that you didn't need to cut big holes in the hull to install), but probably adequate for most older Trojans 36' and under if you really wanna...