Trim Tabs 85 F-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bmack

Trim Tabs 85 F-32

Post by bmack »

Hey guys need some advice. I have a rather sizable leak with the fluid from the trim tabs. Had the bottom redone last year and noticed some fluid late last year. I tried to tighten clamps on the hose of the actuators, but do to the angle wasnt able to get enough on it. From what fluid has been pushed into the water it is evident that I have water in the system from the rust that is in the fluid. I have an appt. next thursday to haul out. Questions are as follows: Can the system be purged and be free of water? If not what type of pump system was used on this boat incase I have to order a new one before next thursday? Thanks, Bill
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

In 1979 they were using a system by InstaTrim - http://www.insta-trim.com Unfortunately their web site does not appear to be working, so don't know if that means they have a temporary problem or are gone...
I had a leak in one of my hoses a few years ago. The marina was able to haul, flush, replace the bad hose, and relaunch in pretty short order.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Quick followup : these guys http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsi ... age66.html claim to have parts still... others may too. Try searching for instatrim or 'boat leveler'
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I replaced the hoses on my '85 F32 last summer. The problem is when they power wash the boat, I and others feel, that overindulgence of the pressure washer actually cuts into the hoses where they meet the tab actuator...causing a leak later down the road.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trim cylinder actuator. I would replace the hoses and flush out both the resivour and cylinders with ATF, best as possible and go on. You can fill the actuator with ATF and manually move the trim tab up and down to try and flush any crap out of the cylinder...

I have Boat Leveler tab system on mine.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

If the tabs look OK, I owuld fluch, replace hoses and flush some more ...

I have Boat levelers on my F32, and Bennets on my 26 Chapparal (and Smart Tabs on my Sea Pro 180cc). The tabs are wearing on my F32 ( at the joint), so I'll probably replace with Bennets ...

I prefer the Bennets, but it really is crazy because the tab buttons work the opposite between Bennets and Boatr Levelers ...

The Smart Tabs on my 18 work the easiest and most reliably, you just set them and leave them alone. The gas cylinder holds the tabs down to get on plane, and lets them come up as you gain speed - very nice! All 316 Stainless ( I did replace my gas cylinders tieh 316 stainless cylinders after about 4 years.

Going out to build a radar arch from my F32 today ... film at 11 ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I had similar problem last year. The tabs on mine are Insta-Trims. I replaced the hoses with stock hydraulics, first draining and purging the fluid from the reservoir. Use double hose clamps for peace of mind. Pretty easy fix. You can use standard ATF fluid in the hydraulics on the Insta-trims.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Try this link

http://www.insta-trim.com

It still is working. They're in St Louis and I found them to be helpful with information last year. The stuff on their website is pretty good with some pdfs of installation tips, etc.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
bmack

Post by bmack »

Thanks for the input. Thats the info I was hoping for. Boatyard in the past has been very helpful and basically say the same thing. Thanks for all your help. Wish there were more Trojan Owners here at the Lake of the Ozarks that were a part of this forum, this place is priceless!!!!!!!
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

rossjo wrote: Going out to build a radar arch from my F32 today ... film at 11 ...
Captain Ross ... I'll be waiting for the update.... :)
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md